I don't think it's fraud or unethical. To be honest, all that will happen is you will pay $35 to test drive the storm. Verizon will not be hurt because you turned a NEW STORM into a REFURBISHED STORM, heck, they probably have millions of refurbished phones hanging in their warehouse or whatever, and last I checked, they are still making millions of $$$ and people are generally happy (I know I'm happy with Verizon, I was able to have all my issues fixed within 24 hours strictly through email customer service! but of course, mileage varies like everything).

I think people are misinterpreting your plan, thinking you are trying to con your way into a 9630 when it comes out. From what I read, all you want to do is fill in the next 30 days with a storm to see if you like it and if not, you are returning it. I've paid $35 for 2 minutes of fun so a whole 30 days is well worth it, IMHO. Correct me if I'm wrong?

You are correct. I think people are misunderstanding.

Wow.. I certainly did not mean to start an ethics debate. I am in no way trying to "fraud" Verizon. I love verizon. I just want to experience other blackberries. Why do you think Verizon promotes their "30 day worry free garuntee?"

And for the record- I am FULLY aware that we have no clue when this phone is debuting to Verizon. It could be July, it could be 2010- I get that. .

Either way- Verizon is getting my money- for a Storm or the Tour..
    Last edited by MLacey; 05-15-09 at 11:25 AM.
    05-15-09 11:12 AM

Wow.. I certainly did not mean to start an ethics debate. I am in no way trying to "fraud" Verizon. I love verizon. I just want to experience other blackberries. Why do you think Verizon promotes their "30 day worry free garuntee?"

And for the record- I am FULLY aware that we have no clue when this phone is debuting to Verizon. It could be July, it could be 2010- I get that. .

I think this is the point that everyone was trying to find out...

if you were actually interested in purchasing a storm or if it was like hey ill check out the storm knowing that I don't want it and just return it for a tour

so that is how the debate started haha

anyway good luck with your decision and I hope you enjoy it!
    05-15-09 12:49 PM

They do it so that people that purchase a device with the intention of keeping it can have an option if it does not work out. Keep in mind it is not a "rental program".

To the one who does not agree, again I ask you, what if it was you as the company? It does not matter what the profits are. Any way you slice it, Robinhood was still a thief.

As I said earlier, the Storm is a good device. It is however, different from the other devices with a physical keyboard. If you text and e-mail a lot, you do not want to have it. I have an 8830 for that and the Storm for days when I need heavy e-mail capability.
    05-15-09 11:56 PM

To the one who does not agree, again I ask you, what if it was you as the company? It does not matter what the profits are. Any way you slice it, Robinhood was still a thief.
    It didn't seem to me that she was "stealing the phone" like Robinhood did, more like she was taking advantage of a service that is offered by a company that makes lots and lots of money. She wasn't taking it, then selling it for parts, replacing it with cheaper made parts and returning it as if she didn't like it. All she wanted to do was do something that was allowed to do by the freaking company that is making so much money because they offer things like that. I can't believe this is an argument about Robinhood and stealing when there is no stealing involved...I think I'm just missing the point you're making....MY POINT = IF I WAS VERIZON, I WOULD BE VERY VERY HAPPY (AND RICH).

Sorry to bring this thread back from where it should've been, forgotten about, but I just don't see why this is such a big deal. The worst that happens is ONE STORM gets turned into a REFURBISHED STORM and that's it. I have a refurbished 8330 that I got after my NEW ONE had keyboard issues. I freaking love this and any 8330 no matter if it's new or not.

I do see your point about the fact that people's time and effort is involved in testing the returned phone when in fact no testing would need to be done since it was not damaged, but I'm sure they're pretty quick at diagnosing the problems at this stage in the game.

Anyways, sorry again for bringing this back (I'm bored at work, no surprise there), I say LIVE AND LET LIVE. Let people play with phones and don't call them Robinhood when they're not. I think it's great that people are questioning things and take moral and ethical objections to things, but I just don't agree with it in this sense. Please take no offense, just take it as my opinion. If American companies are able to make bizillions of dollars from the market, why can't the consumer (who has such little say in so many things) take advantage of those companies' services!
    Last edited by blevin3; 05-21-09 at 12:30 PM.
    05-21-09 12:21 PM
    Playing Devil's advocate here so don't take it out on me Think from a different angle about the ethics of the situation. We bought a storm in good faith from a company that knew this phone wasn't ready for public comsumption there is no doubt about that. They took our money and continue to do so with our calling and data plans every month knowing that there are a significant number of their customer's that have major issues with the phone and are not happy with it. Yet they are able to "look themselves in the mirror" and still feel good about their company practices because at the end of the day they have accomplished the company goal and grown the balance sheet.

Now my own choice would not to do this but I just wanted to point out there are two sides to every issue to look at. And yes I am very patiently waiting to bail on my storm if the next new os does not come out soon and I do mean soon.
    05-21-09 03:24 PM
    I just wanted to point out there are two sides to every issue to look at
    Absolutely, both sides here are fair, on one side taking advantage of people is bad, but then on the other side (the side I have been pushing) Verizon Wireless is a huge company that can absorb this kind of use, and hey, might even get a Storm 1 adopter out of it. If this forum topic was about Mom and Pop wireless and someone who just wanted to "rent" one and then leave that small shop with a much less desirable unit, then I'd be on the other side for sure. I have just learned that if the (Big Red) Boys/Girls offer it, we have the right, and should if it helps us, take it.
    05-21-09 03:49 PM
    Absolutely, both sides here are fair, on one side taking advantage of people is bad, but then on the other side (the side I have been pushing) Verizon Wireless is a huge company that can absorb this kind of use, and hey, might even get a Storm 1 adopter out of it. If this forum topic was about Mom and Pop wireless and someone who just wanted to "rent" one and then leave that small shop with a much less desirable unit, then I'd be on the other side for sure. I have just learned that if the (Big Red) Boys/Girls offer it, we have the right, and should if it helps us, take it.

take note of something that recently happened..

Everyone did indeed think it was ok to constantly return storms and often the returns had a extremely bunk reason for returning it.

I cant say people didn't have legit problems but if someone goes through 10 storms when there has been many many many people sitting on there launch day storm there is a issue with that sorry..

so in return what happens

now insurance cost went up and the deduct able is now 80 something instead of 50..

if you think the same thing wont happen by abusing another feature they have your wrong.
    05-21-09 03:52 PM
    i don't think it's worth the hassle just to try the storm. go to verizon use it for a while if you have no intention of buying it. but if you do decide to buy and try, the if you're a verizon vip customer you don't have to pay the restocking fee.
    05-21-09 04:00 PM
    take note of something that recently happened..

Everyone did indeed think it was ok to constantly return storms and often the returns had a extremely bunk reason for returning it.

I cant say people didn't have legit problems but if someone goes through 10 storms when there has been many many many people sitting on there launch day storm there is a issue with that sorry..

so in return what happens

now insurance cost went up and the deduct able is now 80 something instead of 50..

if you think the same thing wont happen by abusing another feature they have your wrong.
    Noaim, I thought we were in agreement already!! haha, in seriousness you have made a great point that I overlooked completely. I guess I've taken it way too simplistic, I didn't realize all those issues you speak of...Of course the consumer absorbs the losses and fluctuation...anyways, well played...OP do what you will, hopefully you'll like the Storm 1 and keep it and help save the day!
    05-21-09 04:02 PM
    Noaim, I thought we were in agreement already!! haha, in seriousness you have made a great point that I overlooked completely. I guess I've taken it way too simplistic, I didn't realize all those issues you speak of...Of course the consumer absorbs the losses and fluctuation...anyways, well played...OP do what you will, hopefully you'll like the Storm 1 and keep it and help save the day!

I wasn't saying that im not in agreement with things you have stated just pointing out something that I feel is valuable information. Abusing features puts cost's on a corporation and they will get there money somehow
    05-21-09 04:35 PM
    Zzzzz.....
    05-21-09 06:20 PM
    Keep the curve man. People abuse and abuse and abuse customer service/tech support to get what they want (once upon a time there were loaner phones, but no more, because customers abused it). The Asurion deductible is just the latest in the abuse of the best customer service in the wireless industry.

I see people that do this crap everyday, as i work in tech support, and it's pathetic.

I have the curve, I want the tour, but I'm going to wait, because I have respect for the company that provides me the best coverage in the US, and provides me a good product in the curve. You're going to be under warranty, so have it checked out. If Verizon has to wipe the device, do it...if you're lucky, you get a replacement.

Ridiculous ideas like this come back to you in the end, so keep that in mind.
    05-23-09 10:56 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD