Hey everyone,

I have the tour 9630 and I upgraded to unofficial 5.0.0.419 OS. I've been having iues with my trackball (its not clicking down anymore I think its stuck) and want to bring it to VZW but am not sure if upgrading to this OS will have them turn me away. Can anyone help me? I don't want to replace it myself cause I know that will definitely void the warranty

Thanks

Brilor04
    03-03-10 10:21 AM
    You can do what I did just 2 weeks ago...Instead of going to VZW and having them swap it, call customer service and have them FedEx you a replacement. When it gets there, load OS 5.0.0.419 on the new Tour, then use the "Device Transfer Wizard" in Desktop Manager to copy everything over. Once you activate the new Tour, wipe it the one you're sending back with BBSAK, and install VZW's official 4.7. Then send it back...It's like you were never running 5.0 to them.
    03-03-10 10:29 AM
    Downgrade your OS!
    03-03-10 10:29 AM
    You should downgrade back to the stock OS just to be safe.
    03-03-10 10:33 AM
    Deffinetly downgrade your OS, I had a friend have issues with the phone after he intalled and unofficial OS. He had the same concern as you and he downgraded, they never noticed and sent him a replacement..
    03-03-10 10:52 AM
    Putting another OS on the device will NOT void the device warranty.

However, the carrier can refuse to provide SOFTWARE support for an unofficial OS version. But not HARDWARE support.
    03-03-10 11:09 AM
    If you are worried about installing a leak and taking it in just downgrade before you take to store or send off
    03-03-10 11:13 AM
    Yeah I had an issue and stupid me even told them that I upgraded to leaked os. The person I got didn't care, in fact she had done it to her tour too she said. So with that said they replaced my phone that was covered under warranty with no problems..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-10 11:16 AM
    Putting another OS on the device will NOT void the device warranty.

However, the carrier can refuse to provide SOFTWARE support for an unofficial OS version. But not HARDWARE support.

Software tells hardware what to do...Then can most certainly try to say the software cause your issue so its always good to have official software on it when exchanging/repairing/returning.
    03-03-10 11:40 AM
    I would try this trick before returning the device...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/my...hlight=kingzee
    03-03-10 11:47 AM
    It doesn't matter. I returned my 4th Tour to Sprint running a leaked version of OS5 back in September or October. The tech was excited that he had a BlackBerry with OS5 to play around with.
    03-03-10 11:56 AM
    It doesn't matter. I returned my 4th Tour to Sprint running a leaked version of OS5 back in September or October. The tech was excited that he had a BlackBerry with OS5 to play around with.
    I am surprised the tech has not come here and tried installing leaks..The rep that sold me my tour told me not to install anything that was not official or third party because it would destroy the phone and the phone would be totally useless. Lol I guess he is not a member either and does not know how to recover a nuked device..

But in any event it is always better to have the phone in an official state just so no body can try to say its software related and blame you and not exchange it.. It took 30 minutes to install a leak and takes about the same amount of time to restore it to factory settings..
    Last edited by dave3825us; 03-03-10 at 01:09 PM.
    03-03-10 01:06 PM
    You can do what I did just 2 weeks ago...Instead of going to VZW and having them swap it, call customer service and have them FedEx you a replacement. When it gets there, load OS 5.0.0.419 on the new Tour, then use the "Device Transfer Wizard" in Desktop Manager to copy everything over. Once you activate the new Tour, wipe it the one you're sending back with BBSAK, and install VZW's official 4.7. Then send it back...It's like you were never running 5.0 to them.
    its going back for a manufacturer hardware issue so technically the OS shouldnt matter

I have had three tours now and before that went through 5 storms, it got to the point where i dont even re-load the official OS on mine, i just send back the wiped phone. why spend the time on it? nothing has ever been done or said about the phones i have sent back being completely wiped clean of everything including the OS.
    03-03-10 01:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD