I got a Sprint Tour a couple weeks ago - my first BlackBerry. I absolutely LOVE the capabilities it allows. Everything worked fine... except the trackball. It worked (mostly) when the sensitivity was turned up to 90 for the horizontal, but then it wouldn't work in all apps (Word Mole, Brick Breaker, etc.). Decided to get a replacement in case the problem got worse, as I am going out of the country next week. Got the replacement BARE. Absolutely nothing except the phone: no battery, SIM, memory card, box, charger, sheath. Boot it up (which does take almost ten minutes) and the trackball works fine. However, when I push the trackball, the lower left screen distorts. No secondary Apps are installed (SprintTV, etc.). Also, I can no longer access the internet. Whenever I start the browser, I get "Invalid Address." My connection is labeled 1xev. I have paid (and used on the last phone) the full Black Berry data plan with Sprint. Does anyone have some suggestions for what I should do? I got the phone because I need the "World" capabilities (and love the other features I have discovered)...
    08-25-09 05:43 PM
    If a Battery pull wont do it and I hate to use that as the cure all... i would call Sprint CS and see if they can resolve your problem or I should say Sprint Tech support.
    08-25-09 06:21 PM
    Try resending your service books by going to Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Table > Blackberry Button > Register Now. Also, make sure data is enabled by going to Options > Mobile Network. No idea why it would be off but it's a possibility.
    08-25-09 06:53 PM
    I exchanged mine yesterday and had to call cs to get them to fix it after waiting 6 hours for provisioning. Store said it would take 30 minutes to 2 and a half hours but it never worked. Took some time but all is good now. I got another Mexico 5 and the trackball is so much better. I get the ripple in the bottom right corner which the other phone didn't have.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-25-09 07:37 PM
    My first phone was a Mexico 5. I have no way of telling with this one.

I called CS, but was not able to resolve the problem yet.

Also, I went into both the Host Routing Table and made sure that Data was on... still nothing.

I did run the diagnostic on the Mobile Network, which resulted in the following:

Radio Data Activation: No
    Signal Level: unknown
    Radio Access: Unknown
    Network: Unknown
    IP Address: Unknown
    ICMP Ping Echo: Abort
    BlackBerry Registration: Abort
    Connected to Blackberry: Abort
    BlackBerry PIN-PIN: Abort
    PIN: ****************** (test showed actual PIN)
    etc, etc
    08-25-09 08:02 PM
    From that diagnostic it doesn't even look like your phone is activated. So what was the outcome of the Customer Service call, they just said "uhhhhhh I dunno." or what?
    08-25-09 09:22 PM
    Had the same problem. After talking to tier II Technical Support for over an hour, it was discovered that it was a registration and provisioning issue because my ESN was registered to another phone. Not to mention, all this was compounded by the fact that Sprint's servers were lagging. It took over 5 hours for service to get established. If you're still having problems, speak with tier II Tech Support and question your ESN.
    08-25-09 09:47 PM
    Forgive my ignorance, but what is an ESN?

Also, how do I get to tier 2 tech support?
    08-26-09 09:55 AM
    Your ESN or MEID is the number that sets your phone apart from every other phone that is on the network. If you remove your battery you will see the MEID listed on a lable. For sprint phones they usually use the MEID DEC number not the MEID HEX. As for getting to tier 2 you usually have to go through your basic customer service rep. when they can solve the problem then you get bumped up. Try to provision your phone and see if it fixes the problem
    08-26-09 10:33 AM
    My first reaction was ESN as well. CS needs to activate the phone and make sure the ESN on your account is the one associated with your device. Then re-send SB and I imagine you would be fine.

The Verizon logo isn't on the phone by any chance..is it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-09 10:50 AM
    Do you have GPRS or EDGE in caps displayed in the upper right of the screen?
    If the answer is no - speak (again) to the carrier tech support.
    If the answer is yes, you may need to login to your BIS account via a PC (www.blackberry.yourcarrier.com) and enter the PIN number of the replacement phone - the unique pin can be found under Options -> Status
    08-26-09 10:53 AM
    Forgive my ignorance, but what is an ESN?

Also, how do I get to tier 2 tech support?
    ESN is your Electronic Serial Number. It is also referred to as your MEID (dec) on the Tour. It can be found in: Options > Status. Tier I Tech Support is the first person you speak with when you call. They usually don't have much hands-on experience and they research your problem in a knowledge base while speaking to you, which usually result in boilerplate answers. Usually, if they're unable to resolve the problem, you automatically get bumped-up to Tier II - after an hour or so on the phone. After I became overwhelmed with frustration, I called and DEMANDED to speak to Teir II right-off. I met a little resistance, but my persistence paid-off. It took the Rep 10 mins to figure out that my ESN was the problem. Tier II Reps usually have hands-on experience with the phone and appear to be extremely tech savvy. If you register and provision your phone and you still have '1xev' (lower case) next to your signal meter, you are not on the data network and the attempts to register and provision failed.

I'll bet anything, your ESN is the problem.
    08-26-09 11:54 AM
    Can't say I understand all this, but I called in to customer service again, and the gentleman was able to resolve the problem simply. He also reset my email accounts to the new phone from his end, which was very helpful.

Thanks for your help everyone.
    08-26-09 03:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD