Hi all,

Recently had to replace my Tour because of a trackball issue, but now I am running into another annoying problem.

Whenever I type a single key while on the Homepage, like when I am starting to dial a phone number, I get triple characters on the Phone app screen. This is the only time this happens, and I get it whether I am typing in numbers or letters.

For example, I press the "g" key on the keypad while on the Home screen, and on the Phone screen, it displays "Ggg".

Earlier, it seemed that I was getting double characters, and now it is triple! I am careful not to press multiple times or too hard when typing... any ideas what is causing this?

Thanks,
    Ryan
    09-30-09 02:05 PM
    This is an issue in the current .40 OS. When .53 was (temporarily) released, I remember seeing a description of your issue in the list of things that were fixed.

You can still upgrade to .53 if it bugs you. I'm using .53 and it's fine.
    09-30-09 02:25 PM
    First thing I tell new bb users is to disable the dial from home screen feature. There are some great shortcuts you can use from the home screen that don't work if that option is on.
    09-30-09 02:48 PM
    Thanks for the help! I will research the Home screen shortcuts, to see if that is worth disabling Home screen dialing. If so, I will look for the .53 upgrade.

Regards,
    Ryan
    09-30-09 04:15 PM
    I have the original OS and dial from the home screen - it must be something else that causes that and not simply home screen dialing???
    09-30-09 05:02 PM
    F2,

It did not always happen this way. I noticed the keys were being "double-displayed" a couple weeks ago, and in the past day or so, it started "triple-displaying". This makes it a real pain, since now I have to delete the extra characters every time I dial from the Home screen.

When I press a key once I am on the Phone screen (or anywhere else) it does not occur, so it is not a stuck keypad. Something is happening when the key entry is being sent from the Home Screen to the Phone Screen, causing it to be entered multiple times.

Any other ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If I have to disable Home Screen dialing I will, but it seems like there should be a real solution to this.

Thanks!
    Ryan
    09-30-09 05:20 PM
    here's several I use routinely:

M- messages app
    B - browser
    c - contacts
    l - calendar
    U - calculator
    O- options
    N - bbm

if you roll over icons on your home screen and see the app name pull up, if there is a letter underlined, that is the home screen shortcut key. Also, P is the phone shortcut, or just press send. Never understand why someone would keep dial from home screen turned on, when with one click brings you to the same phone app anyhow, especially with all the handy shortcuts.

Also installed QSMS to press Q for sms app
    09-30-09 05:52 PM
    Thanks kjjb. I also found this link for some other home screen shortcuts:

Home screen shortcuts on your QWERTY BlackBerry | BB Geeks

I'll have to check out QSMS!

- Ryan
    09-30-09 05:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD