Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Trying to get AT&T EDGE data working on unlocked SIM/Tour

Hello,

So, I got my Verizon Tour SIM unlocked and I can make and receive AT&T voice calls now.

I can't seem to get the data part working. The signal indicator just says "edge" in lowercase and I know that means it's not getting a data connection.

Anyone know how to activate the data functionality on the SIM when in that mode?

Thanks,
    Frank
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    117 Global Posts

Do this

10 char
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts

Since your carrier is listed as Verizon, I'm assuming you plan to just use the AT&T line as a backup (as I do) in which case you need to have a BlackBerry Data Plan on AT&T (or T-Mobile) to get it to go from edge to EDGE. If your Tour is activated on Verizon and your GSM account has a BB Data Plan, there's no steps you have to do to get it to work, all you need to do is switch it to GSM mode.

If you're trying to ONLY use your Tour on AT&T (or T-Mobile) then you have to use the instructions in the link sinfony posted to get everything work properly since AT&T and T-Mobile don't have Tour (or Storm) Service books to push to your device.

If you're using an AT&T or T-Mobile prepaid SIM card there's no way to get full EDGE, although T-Mobile does offer a prepaid BlackBerry data plan, it's basically a monthly plan you pay for upfront instead of at the end of the month. Not exactly what one would use as a backup line.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    304 Global Posts

This guide will work on the Tour?
    iPhone to Storm to 8900 to Bold to 9700

In the end,There will only be Keith Richards and cockroaches left.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SwitchediPhone-to-Storm View Post
    This guide will work on the Tour?
    It's only necessary if you plan to use the Tour exclusively on AT&T or T-Mobile. If you plan to use Verizon or Sprint but use AT&T or T-Mobile as a backup/secondary line it's not necessary but full data, i.e. "EDGE" and not "edge," will only work if you have a BlackBerry Data Plan on the GSM line.

Which seems silly, who would pay to have two BlackBerry Data Plans on one phone? I suppose someone who REALLY REALLY needed to guarantee coverage...

But yes, the Storm instructions in that link basically work for the Tour
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    304 Global Posts

I'm gonna pick up a Tour tomorrow and give this a shot would be nice to Browser/MMS and full data.

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Do I actually need a "Blackberry" data plan to see the "EDGE"?

I currently have the $15 Data Unlimited mobile web package which seems to be just a general data plan. I'm able to tether to my computer and use the web browser on the phone to access the Internet, etc.

Thanks so much for your help.

Frank
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fc2462 View Post
    Do I actually need a "Blackberry" data plan to see the "EDGE"?

I currently have the $15 Data Unlimited mobile web package which seems to be just a general data plan. I'm able to tether to my computer and use the web browser on the phone to access the Internet, etc.

Thanks so much for your help.

Frank
    Yes you do. The capital letter version of the signal strength, i.e. 1XEV or EDGE as opposed to 1xev or edge means it's connected to RIM's servers. Which can only be achieved with a BB Data Plan.

Trust me, I tried every which way, backward, forwards, diagonal, sideways, upside down, right side up, inside out you name it to get it to work without the BBerry Data plan to no avail.

If anyone figures out how to do it with just a straight up data plan or even pay as you go data, please let me know!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Thanks gimpyviper!

I called AT&T and gave my IMEI and switched to Blackberry data plan and it works great.

Frank
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    304 Global Posts

But has anyone been able to get their browser work on an unlocked Tour?
    I got emails and EDGE but no browser or MMS.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts

As an UNLOCKED Bell Tour Owner, whom has a plan with AT&T as I travel extensivly through Canada and the USA, This is why I got this phone,

My concern is, when I am in the USA, I was hoping for full functionality of my Tour under GSM, with my at&t phone #, then when returning to Canada, full functionality under CDMA with my Bell phone #, is this even possible?
    If not, my primary concern is to be able to get my email and how thats gonna work.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Hi Everyone,

I have a blackberry Tour 9630 Unlocked from Sprint that i don't use, i just have it as a back up.
    I used it 2 weeks ago in Mexico with an AT&T Prepaid SIM card for 25 cents a minute without any problem.

Now I have another trip to Mexico next month and I'm going to stay there for 2 weeks so i need data and I'm thinking in getting a local SIM card from Telcel and getting their Blackberry plan for 15 days but here is the problem.

I tried using data here so i purchased a package with AT&T here but the data doesn't work, i called tech support and they were trying to help me but since is a CDMA/GSM phone they didn't have the instruction in how to enable the data.

Does anyone know if by inserting a Telcel SIM card in Mexico and purchasing a data pack it should work or they need to do any modifications to the phone.

Please tell me any experiences that you have with data either here with at&t or in another country. If i need to get a GSM only phone i will get it but i want to make sure and not just waste my money.

Thanks in advance.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default what is the default password on tour

I'm trying to switch tour from Verizon to AT&T. The phone is unlocked, have EDGE in caps, have data plan....trying to run program from sinfony but it keeps asking for a password, which I never used one......How do I get passed this ?
    CrackBerry Genius

What is sinfony???
    CrackBerry Wiseguy

Global Posts
    12,725 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by freethisberrydotcom View Post
    What is sinfony???
    Not what... who? See post #2

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Can't use unlocked Verizon 9630 with A&TT BB Plan

This is probably a long shot since this thread is older... I have a Verizon BB Tour 9630 and bought code to unlock. I have BB data plan from AT&T and have the word "EDGE" in caps on top right. The problem is I can't set up email, nor browse. The browser is not in my immediate icons, I have to select it from (Switch applications) in order to select, but it shows "incorrect address" and when setting up for email, it shows "Your device had a problem connecting to the server" [retry or cancel]
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    619 Global Posts

I'm going to take a shot at this and say your 9630 is associated with Verizon's BIS server. Since your phone can only be associated with one BIS server, you need to dis-associate from Verizon and then associate with AT&T. And then reverse the procedure when going back.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,961 Global Posts

Have you loaded the AT&T Service Books?

http://forums.crackberry.com/forum-f...m-95xx-107154/
    CrackBerry Newbie

I have the same problem on my tour
    How do I dis associate my phone from Verizon
    Pliz help
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,961 Global Posts

Kip, it's not polite to hijack someone else's thread. You also should not post the same thing in multiple thread. See your other thread.