So, next week I head overseas to Europe (Czech R, Germany, Italy), and from research, this is what I've learned. Please correct me if I'm wrong on anything , and add anything I may have left off:

1) Called Verizon Global Services, and they helped me unlock my SIM with out any quesiton. Now I can use any sim in that slot for cheapear call rates.

2) I purchased the unlimited data plan for overseas which will be prorated for the duration of my trip. This includes
    - free email
    - free web surfing
    - free BBM
    - free data apps such as faceboo / google maps / gtalk
    - Google voice data can be used to send FREE sms
    - free checking of voicemail (visual voicemail uses data)

It DOES NOT include:
    - SMS (.50c outgoing, .05 incoming)
    - Yahoo Messenger (Yahoo counts against text, not data. This has been verified by Verizon reps.)
    - Skype will not work for phone calls

3) I purchased the Passport Sim Card from Telestial. To use this sim card , simply insert in the slot. Card DOES NOT support data.
    - When using this card, the setting must be GSM/UTMS instead lf Global (Global will use Verizon's overseas network, resulting in higher rate charges).

Please confirm if any information is missing or incorrect!

Thanks!
    05-14-10 03:48 PM
    This all looks correct, except the checking of voicemail. I think you will be charged the per minute rate.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-10 04:36 PM
    Should have gotten a Vodafone data SIM - 3G speeds, BB service, covers all the countries you're going to, even has some international calling credit.
    05-14-10 04:43 PM
    Nah. I specifically asked Verizon about the voicemail.. Visual Voicemail goes over data..... your phone downloads it and then plays it back as a voicemail file... No minutes charges

The Vodafone sim comes with the Verizon Tour... I'll be using that SIM for data.
    05-14-10 06:13 PM

It DOES NOT include:
    - SMS (.50c outgoing, .05 incoming)
    - Yahoo Messenger (Yahoo counts against text, not data. This has been verified by Verizon reps.)
    - Skype will not work for phone calls
    The Yahoo Messenger App for Blackberry does not use text, it uses data. So that would be covered under data with the Global plan.
    05-14-10 06:54 PM
    yep thats fine. i just got back form all those places and did that exact same thing and everything worked out just fine.
    05-14-10 08:57 PM
    i've been to Germany, Japan, and South Korea with my Tour. I did everything you did except buying a diff sim for it. A local calling card in each country is much cheaper and if you don't have signal where your at in the hotel you don't have to worry about not making a phone call.
    05-14-10 09:36 PM
    My daughter is going to Spain with her University next week and I'm lending her my tour so she will have email, IM, etc.

I've called verizon and will get the global plan too.

Not sure what other things to set up.

I have the sim card that came with the phone. haven't tried google maps or voice yet.

any advice?
    05-14-10 09:52 PM
    How does Google Voice SMS not count towards voice charges? A few months ago I was under the impression that all GV SMS was free and not included with the regular voice SMS. My bill proved me wrong.
    05-14-10 10:00 PM
    If GV forwards to your SMS inbox on your phone it will cost you the same. What I used to do was use my e-mail with GV.
    05-15-10 01:41 AM
    Make sure you have the number to call them from overseas just in case your SIM card wasn't activated properly in the system. It happened to me, called and had it activated with relative ease.

FWIW, I use the telestial (ekit) sim card in an el cheapo unlocked motorola v3 razor I bought a long time ago for voice calls when needed and it works great, just about everywhere.
    Last edited by freightdog; 05-15-10 at 10:08 PM.
    05-15-10 10:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD