I am getting a replacement tour in the mail from VZW.

1. Is there a way to transfer everything, apps, data, images, settings, etc. from one Tour to the other?

2. If not, what can be transferred from one to the other?

Thanks.
    08-28-09 04:34 PM
    Use the desktop manager software that came with your BB, it has a program called device switch wizard which will do what you want, don't know if it will do images though.
    08-28-09 04:38 PM
    Use the desktop manager software that came with your BB, it has a program called device switch wizard which will do what you want, don't know if it will do images though.
    Agreed, use Device Switch Wizard, it will transfer over everything exceprt your sound profiles for ringtones/alerts, reason being is the profile setup is different on the Tour. It will only take a few minutes to switch devices. Remember to log into your Carrier's BIS webpage and make sure the correct PIN is listed and resend your service books to get email going again...
    08-28-09 04:56 PM
    So I am on a Mac and the desktop manager is not yet available. I guess I could find a PC to install the software on to just get this transfer done.

What do you mean by "resend your service books?

Thanks.
    08-28-09 05:08 PM
    If you're on a Mac, the only way to transfer EVERYTHING is to...use a PC Sorry :-/ BBDM wont be released for Mac until this next month. After switching devices with the BBDM you'll need to switch devices on the Blackberry Internet Service as well. Example, you probably have a personal email on your device. The settings for that are not stored on the device. They are stored remotely on your blackberry internet service account, which you probably dont even know you have. If you go to Email settings on your Tour you'll either log right into email settings or you'll see a username and password field. Here's what you're gonna do tho regardless. When you get your replacement device, you'll need to do a Register Now from the the Host Routing Table in Advanced Options. This will push most of the service books to your device. Then go to Email Settings in the Setup Folder, and it SHOULD give you the Option to Move Email accounts over. if it doesnt, you'll need to log in from there and then it should. If you dont want to Bother, Call VZW they can help you with pushing service books.
    08-28-09 06:18 PM
    Don't forget to swap your sdcard too
    08-28-09 08:13 PM
    Verizon should be able to do it for you, or you could just use a friends computer.
    08-28-09 11:10 PM
    I just got a replacement Tour today. Before I took my old Tour down to the Verizon store, I dutifully backed up everything. Then I did a restore when I got home. All settings and databases went onto my new unit, but none of the applications, so I have been reinstalling them one-by-one and still don't have them all on there now.

I've never used this wizard because my old Curve never failed me. It appears given the way the trackballs are working on the Tours though, I may have to get very familiar with this wizard in the event I have to replace my Tour again.

So the device switch wizard uploads everything then, including apps? Would it be possible to use it despite having loaded a lot of the apps I had back? I'm still missing some so it would be nice to be able to do it in one sync vs. tring to find all those *.jad files again.

What stinks is having to get all new activiation codes again. This is going to take me days to get sorted out. I just hope this trackball doesn't melt down like my last one (no left-right response).
    08-28-09 11:17 PM
    Good luck with everything. I'm sure it will all work out well in the end.
    08-30-09 06:24 PM
    What stinks is having to get all new activiation codes again. This is going to take me days to get sorted out. I just hope this trackball doesn't melt down like my last one (no left-right response).
    That's the worst part. I wish there was a way to keep your pin.

Mike
    08-30-09 06:42 PM
    That's the worst part. I wish there was a way to keep your pin.

Mike
    No kidding. I had one software company charge me $2 to get a new activation code too. They allow one PIN number change per year for free, but charge for ones above that. I damaged my Curve so had to buy a new phone (my first Tour), then had to replace that Tour due to trackball issues so got hit with the $2 fee. I did write complaining about the policy, since the codes are generated automatically at their website. To their credit they did offer to give me new codes if this happens again without a charge after I complained. Adding in time spent reinstalling and writing to get new codes this has been expensive in more ways than one.
    08-30-09 06:55 PM
    Question for you guys/gals:

I'm going to be transferring everything off my Bold and into a new 8900 from T-Mobile. Will this wizard also copy my BBM contacts?
    08-31-09 03:27 PM
    Question for you guys/gals:

I'm going to be transferring everything off my Bold and into a new 8900 from T-Mobile. Will this wizard also copy my BBM contacts?
    Yes, when I transferred from my Pearl to my Tour everything including BBM contacts transferred over.
    08-31-09 03:31 PM
    Yes, when I transferred from my Pearl to my Tour everything including BBM contacts transferred over.
    So in theory the contacts will never know I changed my phone model? This is good because it avoids having the need to re-add all those people I thought it wouldn't since every device has its own PIN #.
    08-31-09 03:34 PM
    Agreed, use Device Switch Wizard, it will transfer over everything exceprt your sound profiles for ringtones/alerts, reason being is the profile setup is different on the Tour. It will only take a few minutes to switch devices. Remember to log into your Carrier's BIS webpage and make sure the correct PIN is listed and resend your service books to get email going again...
    Profiles go over in the switch In DM 5.0 they do
    08-31-09 03:40 PM
    So in theory the contacts will never know I changed my phone model? This is good because it avoids having the need to re-add all those people I thought it wouldn't since every device has its own PIN #.

Correct, use Device Switch Wizard in Desktop Manager. Hookup the old device you have, run switch wizard, it will backup the old device, then it will prompt you to hook up the new device, hook it up, press next and that's it. It's that simple and no one will know you switched devices...
    08-31-09 03:40 PM
    Correct, use Device Switch Wizard in Desktop Manager. Hookup the old device you have, run switch wizard, it will backup the old device, then it will prompt you to hook up the new device, hook it up, press next and that's it. It's that simple and no one will know you switched devices...

Gotta love the Crackberry! Thanks!
    08-31-09 03:43 PM
    Verizon should be able to do it for you, or you could just use a friends computer.
    verizon can only transfer contacts and pics at a store other then that there is no such thing as over the transfer as widely believed by ppl so if someone tells you that verizon can by calling in your wasting your time
    08-31-09 05:34 PM
    With device switch wizard everything should go through without a hitch I would imagine because it will recognize the PIN change
    08-31-09 05:42 PM
    With device switch wizard should I expect all my applications to move also or is there no option for this? I have no apps installed that require serial codes based on my pin so Im not worried about that.
    09-01-09 06:59 PM
    The apps will move over...
    09-01-09 07:04 PM
    Everything went well except new email isnt being delivered - i did a host routing table update and activation. Calls are ok. I see my old messages - how do I get it setup to deliver new messages?
    09-02-09 05:37 PM
    guys, running switch device wizard does not need internet connection, correct? if I am a store and bring my laptop w/ me they do not have internet connection?

Also, the wizard will move the 3rd party apps that I've paid for to the new phone?
    09-02-09 06:21 PM
    guys, running switch device wizard does not need internet connection, correct? if I am a store and bring my laptop w/ me they do not have internet connection?

Also, the wizard will move the 3rd party apps that I've paid for to the new phone?
    The wizard itself doesn't require an internet connection, but when you launch the DM and connect your phone it searches for updates via internet - I THINK. ...or maybe its just checking for updated files on your 'C' drive that may have been downloaded.

The wizard does transport your 3rd party apps.
    09-02-09 08:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD