Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Transfer files from old SD card to new SD card

I have the standard 1GB MicroSD card that came with my Tour. I have some pics and some wallpaper on there currently. I bought a new 16GB card but I need to figure out a way to get what is currently on my 1GB card and transfer that data somewhere so when I pop in my 16 GB card I can transfer those files back to the new card.

Note: I do have a recent backup through the Blackberry Desktop manager software. I am wondering if I could pop the new chip in and perform a restore of some kind. I just didn't want to have to perform a whole restore if I didn't have to. I don't care how to do it I just need to get the old files that are sitting on one MicroSD card to another.

Thanks
    CrackBerry User

Try plugging ur BB to a PC and drag or cut & paste the folders onto the destop then stick ur 16GB in and cut and paste to the BB!!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by kingkjs View Post
    Try plugging ur BB to a PC and drag or cut & paste the folders onto the destop then stick ur 16GB in and cut and paste to the BB!!
    I have the BB plugged into the computer. How do I access the folders on the blackberry that contain pictures and wallpaper in order to drag them? Those files are located on the MicroSD card.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,762 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me...

Do you have an SD reader on your computer? I think the easiest way is to remove the old 1gb card and insert it into your computer. Copy all the files on the card over to a new folder. Remove the old card, then insert the new card and copy over all those old files onto the new card. The insert the card into your blackberry let it go crazy indexing everything again or whatever it has to do to the card, then battery pull.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by d5115r View Post
    Do you have an SD reader on your computer? I think the easiest way is to remove the old 1gb card and insert it into your computer. Copy all the files on the card over to a new folder. Remove the old card, then insert the new card and copy over all those old files onto the new card. The insert the card into your blackberry let it go crazy indexing everything again or whatever it has to do to the card, then battery pull.
    My laptop does not have SD slot to read this type of card. It has a slot for the older larger SD cards but the new 16GB card is a very small Scandisk MicroSD HC card so I don't think your option will work.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,762 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me...

The card didn't come with a regular sized SD card that the micro can slip in? If not, I highly recommend that you get one (some kind of reader) for it. It is by far the easiest (IMO) way to transfer large numbers of files from card to card or from PC to BB etc.
    Last edited by d5115r; 12-30-2009 at 08:34 AM.
    CrackBerry User

On my PC if i go into The "My computer" folder u would see the MicroSD card folder there to open!
    If it doesn't show up try going to settings/memory and set mass storage mode on yes and then try it again tell me if it works.

I add and remove pics and music this way all the time.
    CrackBerry Abuser

They make an SD adapter that you slip your microSD in to. They are very cheap on ebay. All of the microSD cards I have bought came with it. I bet someone you know has one you can borrow. Good luck!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

The card didn't come with a regular sized SD card that the micro can slip in? If not, I highly recommend that you get one (some kind of reader) for it. It is by far the easiest (IMO) way to transfer large numbers of files from card to card or from PC to BB etc.
    I don't understand what you are asking. The MicroSD card that came with the phone is the exact same size as the MicroSD card that I bought. The only difference is that one card is 1GB and the other is 16GB. I wonder if the backup and restore function that occurs through the BB software copies what is on the MicroSD card. If it does then I just need to know what to restore from the list that comes up when you try and perform a restore. Thanks
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

I should have been more clear. My laptop has an SD slot, not a MicroSD slot. The sizes are different. So, I can't pop my MicroSD card into my laptop.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by jbc76 View Post
    I don't understand what you are asking. The MicroSD card that came with the phone is the exact same size as the MicroSD card that I bought. The only difference is that one card is 1GB and the other is 16GB. I wonder if the backup and restore function that occurs through the BB software copies what is on the MicroSD card. If it does then I just need to know what to restore from the list that comes up when you try and perform a restore. Thanks
    Some tmes when u buy an SD card u get a shell of the larger card which u can Stick ur SD into! Ifu didn't get it you could go in a store and ask for 1 they would know what it is u want. I dont know of any ways to do a backup nd restore for Media! Sorry!

On the BB, select OPTIONS (wrench, generally). Menu/BB button, Memory, highlight and turn on MassStorageMode.

Plug in usb cord. You should then be able to see the files on your 1gig card. Copy/paste them to your computer. Disconnect by using the tasktray "safely remove" icon. Remove 1gig and replace with 16gig. Reverse process copy/paste to 16gig.

Good luck
    CrackBerry Abuser

Before you connect your BB to your PC, go into Options -> Memory and make sure that Mass Storage Mode is on, and Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode is set to either ON or PROMPT. Then the BB should show up as a drive letter in Windows Explorer. Just drag the files to your PC's local drive. Then unplug the BB, swap the Micro SD card and reconnect. Then drag the files back to the appropriate folder on the new card.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

on your BB press menu>Options>Memory change "Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected" to Yes. Hit your back button and save. Connect your BB to your PC, and you will be able to open and see everything on your SD Card, copy it over to your Desktop. disconnect your BB and switch your SD cards (you may want to do a battery pull). Reconnect BB to PC open your new SD card folders and paste everything over to the new card. this will transfer everything over.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    uıd ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by kingkjs View Post
    Some tmes when u buy an SD card u get a shell of the larger card which u can Stick ur SD into! Ifu didn't get it you could go in a store and ask for 1 they would know what it is u want. I dont know of any ways to do a backup nd restore for Media! Sorry!

When you buy a "micro sd card" sometimes they give you the adapter to bump it up to "sd"

If you open media manager, 2 blackberries list under my devices. One is device memory and the other is media card. I just copied the blackberry folder from media card to my desk top. I would assume that if you do this and then put your new card into your tour, delete its bb folder, and copy the one from your desktop back that it would work.

CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

Quote Originally Posted by Rmorton0573 View Post
    on your BB press menu>Options>Memory change "Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected" to Yes. Hit your back button and save. Connect your BB to your PC, and you will be able to open and see everything on your SD Card, copy it over to your Desktop. disconnect your BB and switch your SD cards (you may want to do a battery pull). Reconnect BB to PC open your new SD card folders and paste everything over to the new card. this will transfer everything over.
    I have enabled mass storage, saved, and then even did a battery pull. I still cannot see the device in my Explorer window in order to copy files to my PC from the MicroSD card. It looks like I might need to go buy an adapter so my PC can read MicroSD card. It only has a slot for a SD.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    68,235 Global Posts

Have you checked to see if blackberry device manager is set to run at startup? That might help, I think I needed to do that before my computer would list it in windows explorer.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

Quote Originally Posted by kbz1960 View Post
    Have you checked to see if blackberry device manager is set to run at startup? That might help, I think I needed to do that before my computer would list it in windows explorer.
    No go, crap. Oh well, I have been messing with this too long.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

Depending on your Laptop OS and model it may not be able to read the 16GB SD card in the adapter, you may also need an SD to USB adapter.