I backup and understand that DM gives me the option to "switch device". My question is sould I just get the 9630 and go do it myself or is Verizon going to do a OK job of transfering my data and contacts. It would be nice to have all my info on the new 9630 when I leave the store. Any thoughts or comments would help.

It looks like I'll take the plunge Sunday afternoon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-09 07:08 PM
    You can and will do it all your self.... why hang at the store?

I plan on leaving with a sealed box.
    07-10-09 07:23 PM
    Cigar-Junkie, just do it yourself. You not only get the pride that you did it, but you also ensure that you got everything you wanted
    07-10-09 07:27 PM
    I let other people touch my phone as little as possible.
    07-10-09 07:28 PM
    I've been playing with everyone else' Blackberry's, and yet I'll always be a NEWBY roflmao.
    07-10-09 07:29 PM
    You can and will do it all your self.... why hang at the store?
    I plan on leaving with a seald box.
    I was planning on getting the Telus store dude to do it because I figured that I might screw something up if I tried it myself. But are guys saying that it's a relatively easy and painless procedure to do yourself via the DM? What are the pitfalls or things to look out for?

Thanks in advance!
    07-10-09 09:01 PM
    I was planning on getting the Telus store dude to do it because I figured that I might screw something up if I tried it myself. But are guys saying that it's a relatively easy and painless procedure to do yourself via the DM? What are the pitfalls or things to look out for?

Thanks in advance!
    The Switch Device Wizard allows the BlackBerry device user to perform the following procedures:
    • Switch from one BlackBerry device to another BlackBerry device
    • Switch from a Palm OS� or Microsoft� Windows Mobile� enabled device to a BlackBerry device
    Switch from one BlackBerry device to another BlackBerry device
    When switching from one BlackBerry device to another BlackBerry device, the Switch Device Wizard is designed to import BlackBerry device applications, organizer data, messages, third-party applications, and BlackBerry Enterprise Server connection options from the existing BlackBerry device to the new BlackBerry device.
    Note: Third-party application migration is not supported on BlackBerry Device Software 3.8 and earlier.

Switch from a Palm OS or Microsoft Windows Mobile enabled device to a BlackBerry device

When switching from a Palm OS or Microsoft Windows Mobile enabled device to a BlackBerry device, the Switch Device Wizard is designed to import your organizer data, such as contact, memo, task, and calendar entries, from the existing device to the new BlackBerry device.

Procedure

To switch BlackBerry devices using the switch device wizard of BlackBerry Web Desktop Manager, complete the following steps:
    Note: You can use the switch device wizard to transfer data and services from your current BlackBerry device to a new BlackBerry device.
    Warning: Do not disconnect your BlackBerry device from your computer until the activation process on your BlackBerry device is complete.
    1. Connect your new BlackBerry device to your computer.
    2. Click Yes - Switch my BlackBerry services to this device.
    3. Click Yes - Transfer the data.
    4. Complete the instructions on the computer screen to switch your BlackBerry device.
    07-10-09 09:09 PM
    The Switch Device Wizard allows the BlackBerry device user to perform the following procedures:
    I think what you're saying is "No problem!" and "RTFM!" LOL!

Awesome - thanks!
    07-11-09 12:51 PM
    I'd do it on your own. It's really easy.

One reason i'm buying it online is because of this. Hate it when they open the phone/peel all the protective stickers off for me. That is a very personal thing
    07-11-09 01:09 PM
    What would happen to those third party apps that are downloaded specifically for the 8330? Doesn't downloading and installing an app specifically designed for another device lead to bricking the phone?
    And also it says that there's an option to transfer all services to a new blackberry device. Does this mean I can bring home the 9630 in the box and not even have them activate it and activate it myself through DM?

Sorry even as a noob I can tell these are incredibly noobish questions.
    Last edited by Henrokk; 07-11-09 at 01:13 PM.
    07-11-09 01:10 PM
    What would happen to those third party apps that are downloaded specifically for the 8330? Doesn't downloading and installing an app specifically designed for another device lead to bricking the phone?
    And also it says that there's an option to transfer all services to a new blackberry device. Does this mean I can bring home the 9630 in the box and not even have them activate it and activate it myself through DM?

Third party apps (TPA) will not "transfer". Just the data (the way I understand it).
    07-11-09 02:12 PM

Not noobish questions - good ones! I just wish that someone had answered your above question, because that's what I need to know as well.
    07-14-09 05:21 PM
    I did it myself had issues with 4.7 dm grabbed 4.6 dm again and it ran smooth everything transfered great...

just do a backup before you start even.... this way you know that verizon wont screw it up and you have your information
    07-14-09 05:35 PM
    i was gonna do it myself but there is a verizon store right next to where i going to lunch so i stopped in real quick, went to service desk and got helped right away, i was out of there in about 5 minutes. Got outside and checked everything before leaving and i was good to go. Wiped my Storm and threw it as far as a could across the street. I <3 Tour
    07-14-09 05:50 PM
    I plugged in my Tour and the computer tried to install the phone but it didn't work. Do I need to install the newest version of DM?
    07-14-09 05:52 PM
    I did the transfer myself and all went well. The email addresses needed to be validated and berryweather need me to go to Mobihand to change PIN and device.

On the same topic I used my current version of DM (always checking for updates). I decided to skip the disk with the Verizon Tour due to a fear of additional Verizon logos. Anyone else skip the install disk?
    07-14-09 07:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD