Quick Question. As I am trying to decide between the Curve 8530 and the Tour, Is the trackball on the Tour reliable? I have heard trackballs as being very unreliable, and the only reason i would ever pick the 8530 over the tour is because of the trackpad, the wifi isnt that big of a deal. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
    03-22-10 08:07 PM
    Well mine lasted 3 months.. I talked to the tech who checked mine out today and she said the only ones they had issues with were the ones made in Mexico. Mine is one of them and the trackball still works just very slick and lack of grip. Since they have been replaced they have been fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-10 08:14 PM
    Quick Question. As I am trying to decide between the Curve 8530 and the Tour, Is the trackball on the Tour reliable? I have heard trackballs as being very unreliable, and the only reason i would ever pick the 8530 over the tour is because of the trackpad, the wifi isnt that big of a deal. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
    I was in this same situation a little over a week ago and I decided to go with the tour. I read around before buying and it sounds like they have fixed the trackball problem. I'm really glad with my choice
    03-22-10 08:17 PM
    Do you know how many of them are made in Mexico? Like a percentage or something? I'm definitely leaning towards the Tour btw
    03-22-10 08:26 PM
    I've had mine since September and I've had zero problems with the trackball. As long as you clean it every once in a while with rubbing alcohol and a compressed air can you should be fine.
    03-22-10 08:28 PM
    Short answer, no, it is not reliable. That said, your experience may vary. I would get the Curve 2, or if you can wait for it, the Tour 2.
    03-22-10 08:31 PM
    esalonia, how has your experience with the tour been? If you dont mind me asking?
    03-22-10 08:38 PM
    Wow I am glad that u posted this. I am suppose to upgrade this week. Which have more memory for apps

03-22-10 08:47 PM
    Go with the Curve2, I have had 5 Tours since July! Yes 5! 3 separate trackball issues and 2 OS crashes. My original Curve I had for over a year with not 1 issue. Today, I called Sprint and they are sending me the new Curve2 free. They can have their Tour, I never seen a phone made so poorly. By the way I keep my 'stuff' always in mint condition, so the problem wasn't on my end...
    03-22-10 08:59 PM
    Every time i find myself ALMOST to a decision i end up getting persuaded to the other side. /sigh

Good things about the tour
    -Better Screen (Better res)
    -Way better camera
    -Supposeddly a "Higher end Blackberry"
    Good things about the Curve 8530
    -Trackpad (Alone, almost to win me over)
    -Wifi (Not that big of a deal to me as 3G is pretty fast)

The trackball issue is bothering me SOOO BAD
    03-22-10 09:07 PM
    I wonder how many are made in Mexico as well. But my mom and I both bought tours and they were both made in Mexico. She luckily hasn't had any problems. Probably bc she is on it way less than me lol.

03-22-10 09:08 PM
    Short answer, no, it is not reliable. That said, your experience may vary. I would get the Curve 2, or if you can wait for it, the Tour 2.
    Agreed. My 8330 curve's trackball died in 6 months, my first tour's trackball died in 3 months, On my 2nd tour now and eventually the trackball will fail as long as there is a way for oil, dust and other debris that gets into it. Its impossible to keep it 100% clean.

I can't wait for the Bold for Verzion with the trackpad and wifi.
    03-22-10 09:10 PM
    My Tour's trackball has worked perfectly from day one. I've seen others (in person) that haven't, though, and when it's bad, it's *bad.*

I'd wait and see when the Tour 2 is coming out, so you can take advantage of the better BB, with the trackpad.
    03-22-10 09:36 PM
    Never had a problem with my trackball
    03-22-10 10:05 PM
    Every time i find myself ALMOST to a decision i end up getting persuaded to the other side. /sigh

Good things about the tour
    -Better Screen (Better res)
    -Way better camera
    -Supposeddly a "Higher end Blackberry"
    Good things about the Curve 8530
    -Trackpad (Alone, almost to win me over)
    -Wifi (Not that big of a deal to me as 3G is pretty fast)

The trackball issue is bothering me SOOO BAD
    do you need your phone right now or can you wait a couple of months? the BB Bold for Verizon (aka the Tour2) can't be that far off, and it has a trackpad and wi-fi.
    03-22-10 11:32 PM
    is the trackball supposed to be really recessed and feel really soft-like? compared to my sisters bold 9000, it just feels really weird
    03-22-10 11:40 PM
    Well i would be willing to wait, but i think US Cellular gets new phones alot later than other carriers such as sprint and verizon. If i knew the New Bold/Tour 2 was coming out for US Cellular soon i would wait.
    03-22-10 11:54 PM
    I would pick a perfect trackball (had my tour since august no problem ever) over a trackpad any day...

03-22-10 11:59 PM
    A few questions for you Riton
    1) How well do you take care of your phone?
    2) How often do you find the perfect trackball?
    03-23-10 12:03 AM
    I've had my tour for 5 months without any problems and haven't cleaned the trackball once.

03-23-10 12:27 AM
    definitely some of the better news ive heard in this thread haha. How well do you take care of yours?
    03-23-10 12:30 AM
    trackball sucks ............... wait for bold 9650
    03-23-10 12:39 AM
    As i said earlier, I have US Cellular and they get phones later than other carriers. I only wish it were that easy.
    03-23-10 12:44 AM
    I'll be honest I prefer the trackball over the optical mouse although the trackball is the biggest issue on tour I have not had many issues. (knock on Wood)
    03-23-10 12:46 AM
    lately mine has been getting stuck and it's pretty annoying.
    03-23-10 01:21 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD