View Poll Results: Trackball/Software/Settings test. Possible software bug?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • 80/80 horizontal scrolling issue present

8 26.67%
  • 80/90 horizontal scrolling issue resolved

12 40.00%
  • 80/90 did not resolve my issue.

10 33.33%
    I think that the widespread trackball issues people have been having MAY be a software bug so I set up this poll for people to test this theory out.

What I hope to achieve is to rule out a hardware issue and find out if it is in fact a software bug.

I've noticed that SOME people that set up the trackball at 80/80 have problems with it and when bumping it to 80/90 (90 being horizontal setting) it performs flawless.

So if your trackball is at 80/80 and your having issues this test may or may not clear it up.

So perform the test using 80/90 and see if you have horizontal scrolling issues still present and report your findings.

Remember when using the 9630's trackball you DO NOT need to apply much pressure at all while scrolling. Feathering the trackball is recommended.

Again what I hope this thread achieves is that it eliminates the possibility of a hardware or a software issue. It may not reveal anything other than there are good trackballs and bad but it's worth a shot. For those that wish to participate post your findings.

Thanks..........
    08-05-09 08:35 PM
    You should add never had the issue to begin with
    08-05-09 08:40 PM
    You should add never had the issue to begin with
    This is for the people that are reporting the problem.
    08-05-09 08:42 PM
    I reported this in another thread that to achieve a perfect running trackball I had to set it to 90/80 .
    90 being vertical. This leads me to believe it could be OS related with a glitch in the settings.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-09 08:51 PM
    Mine was no software bug. I could feel in the trackball movement going left and right something was not catching. Up and down it had a certain mechanical feel like it was on track. Left and right felt inconsistent.

100% hardware for me.

08-05-09 08:53 PM
    I don't feel it's a software bug. I have 2 9630's. Mine and my wife's. I bought mine on launch day and it has no problems at all. My wife's I just bought 3 days ago. In addition to the loose door, the trackball does have some scrolling issues. It feels stiff compared to mine and barely scrolls. You can even feel the difference between the two trackballs. I'll be looking into an exchange for her this weekend.
    08-05-09 08:54 PM
    Or maybe its an issue of people putting their greasy friggin thumbs all over the trackball so that it doesn't roll properly on the contacts? Pretty simple solution there. Keep your thumb and trackball clean!

08-05-09 09:11 PM
    Or maybe its an issue of people putting their greasy friggin thumbs all over the trackball so that it doesn't roll properly on the contacts? Pretty simple solution there. Keep your thumb and trackball clean!

Sorry my tour was NEW with this problem. Right after I fully charged it the same day. I realized I had a BROKEN trackball.

08-05-09 09:17 PM
    There are two trackball problems. One IS software while the other is hardware. The hardware problem has the actual ball "slipping" and not spinning at all. The software problem has it so that the ball moves but skips on the screen.
    08-05-09 09:24 PM
    I reported this in another thread that to achieve a perfect running trackball I had to set it to 90/80 .
    90 being vertical. This leads me to believe it could be OS related with a glitch in the settings.

This is good to know. A friend of mine had the same problem and we messed with the settings. 80/90 worked like a charm for him and that's what got me thinking if this "fix" is in fact a software problem.

Interesting that yours was 90/80 though. Complete opposite.

08-05-09 10:12 PM
    Its strictly hardware for me. When I have issues I blow a little compressed air at the trackball and it works fine. Gotta be fine dirt or dust. I know I should return it but I already have my invisible shield on this one.

08-05-09 10:19 PM
    80/90 improved but not perfect day1 experience. going to vzw tomorrow. will let u know what happens
    08-05-09 11:22 PM
    The displayed Tour at my local Verizon had a serious trackball issue. I tried 80/90 and 90/80, but neither worked. I hope they get this trackball issue resolved quickly!
    08-05-09 11:35 PM
    I voted for the wrong one! Ahh. I don't have an issue with 80/90. When it didn't work on 70/70, it would still scroll in perfectly in the browser. That leads me to believe it's a software issue and not a hardware issue.
    08-05-09 11:41 PM
    Mine only seems to have problems when I've got sweaty fingers. It tends to not want to roll but that's understandable. Otherwise it works great and I have it on the default 70/70. When I bump it up to 90/90 it's still really smooth but it's crazy fast, like so fast I had a **** of a time controling it to get it back to 70/70!

08-06-09 12:35 AM
    mine feels like it's catching OK (feels the same up and down as it does left and right), but horizontal movement is sometimes jumpy, sometimes OK, and sometimes won't move at all.
    08-06-09 12:35 AM
    So perform the test using 80/90 and see if you have horizontal scrolling issues still present and report your findings.
    Yup, that's it. I recently changed H=90 and V=70 and have been happy. I just tested H=80 V=70 and the horizontal scrolling was horrid. Same issue with H=80 V=80. So H=80 seems to be the culprit! Good catch CE!

08-06-09 01:47 AM
    So H=80 seems to be the culprit! Good catch CE!
    I tried H=70 V=70 and it was also horrid. So for me, H=70 or H=80 is horrid, but H=90 is bliss. Whacky!

08-06-09 02:05 AM
    I noticed my problems after 2-3days of using it.
    Currently at 70/90 .. up & down works fine always did, but side to side doesnt. Even at 90 it works better but still not precise and moves faster than what i am actually moving it and sometimes goes the opposite direction so im def going to take mine to the store.

Even in the test at 70 up & down gets 1-3 .. and 90 side-to-side only gets 1.

I hate having to get YET another BBM-PIN jesus
    08-06-09 03:36 AM
    That actually appears to have helped. 80/90 Horizontal.. Much appreciated..Thanks.
    08-06-09 04:14 AM
    Have mine set to 80/90 and its working perfectly now. My Word Mole scores have never been better! LoL

08-06-09 05:11 AM
    This is good to know. A friend of mine had the same problem and we messed with the settings. 80/90 worked like a charm for him and that's what got me thinking if this "fix" is in fact a software problem.

Interesting that yours was 90/80 though. Complete opposite.

Wow..... Sorry I messed that up ....... 90 is my horizontal setting and not vertical. Thanks for bringing that up. I must have been half asleep when I posted that .

08-06-09 07:48 AM
    Wow..... Sorry I messed that up ....... 90 is my horizontal setting and not vertical. Thanks for bringing that up. I must have been half asleep when I posted that .

good : ) ....I was not looking forward to finding out if another variable was going to have to be added.

Seems this "fix" has helped a few people so far. I had my friend roll back his settings again last night and sure enough the problem came back.
    08-06-09 09:29 AM
    good : ) ....I was not looking forward to finding out if another variable was going to have to be added.

Seems this "fix" has helped a few people so far. I had my friend roll back his settings again last night and sure enough the problem came back.
    It has worked for me and setting it back gave me headaches. So if it was a trackball issue, it wouldnt work well on any setting right? i think mine and for many others it would be OS related. Mine is now flawless EXCEPT with brickbreaker.How can we explain that? and what about those with trackballs that dont work well under any settings.....
    My Bell rep told me that every phone was tested before it was shipped...obviously that isnt the case. Sad
    08-06-09 09:47 AM
    It has worked for me and setting it back gave me headaches. So if it was a trackball issue, it wouldnt work well on any setting right? i think mine and for many others it would be OS related. Mine is now flawless EXCEPT with brickbreaker.How can we explain that? and what about those with trackballs that dont work well under any settings.....
    My Bell rep told me that every phone was tested before it was shipped...obviously that isnt the case. Sad
    There are hardware problems as well no doubt. I think that 4.7 is Vista in BB clothing : )

*edit: if it lags in Brickbreaker but works flawlessly on homescreen, web and other apps it's definitely software. If it was hardware the problem would be across the board. As a side note there is a bug in SMS and messenger but if you didnt notice it I won't make you paranoid : ) So forget I mentioned it*
    Last edited by cereal killer; 08-06-09 at 10:22 AM.
    08-06-09 10:11 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD