It's not that there is a problem with the trackball itself. The pressure applied effects the left to right scrolling if you are noticing any.

Set your trackball setting to Horizontal/80 Vertical/80

Save it.

Then when scrolling left to right DO NOT apply any pressure to the trackball. "Feather" it. It's very sensitive to even the slightest bit of pressure.

These settings worked perfectly for me and I have no issues scrolling left/right/up/down. Experiment with different settings but again DO NOT apply pressure when scrolling.

Give it a shot and report back kiddies.
    Last edited by cereal killer; 07-15-09 at 05:03 PM.
    07-15-09 04:51 PM
    Never thought about the fact that people may be pressing in on it too much. Also, I see a lot of people sliding the ball VERY fast side to side, and expecting it to move the curser faster as well... Think about doing this with a mouse that has a ball in it. The mouse on the screen isn't going to shoot across the screen because you move the ball that fast...
    07-15-09 04:57 PM
    i was just going to look into the trackball problem. i am coming from a curve and i did apply pressure for my trackball. the tour is a lil different. for up and down my normal applied pressure works for it but for left and right if i apply the same pressure it won't work as smoothly but if if i "feather" it as you mentioned it goes smoothly. also it "feels" different going up and down with pressure than left and right.

but to report back feathering works well so far~
    07-15-09 04:57 PM
    i was just going to look into the trackball problem. i am coming from a curve and i did apply pressure for my trackball. the tour is a lil different. for up and down my normal applied pressure works for it but for left and right if i apply the same pressure it won't work as smoothly but if if i "feather" it as you mentioned it goes smoothly. also it "feels" different going up and down with pressure than left and right.

but to report back feathering works well so far~
    Exactly. On the Curve it required some pressure and if you do the same with the Tour it does not respond.

It's a very sensitive trackball. Whole other beast.......
    07-15-09 05:01 PM
    LMAO that's funny if that's all these TRACKBALL problems were related to loll
    07-15-09 05:03 PM
    Never thought about the fact that people may be pressing in on it too much. Also, I see a lot of people sliding the ball VERY fast side to side, and expecting it to move the curser faster as well... Think about doing this with a mouse that has a ball in it. The mouse on the screen isn't going to shoot across the screen because you move the ball that fast...
    Actually on a computer it does accelerate the pointer. It's usually a feature that can be disabled/enabled. So if I move a mouse slowly two inches, it'll move the pointer on the screen a certain distance. If I jolt the mouse the same two inches, the pointer will move faster and much further. Convinient when you need to move across the screen, you can still do it in one fast movement.

That being said, I don't find that Tour's screen is large enough to need acceleration feature, doesn't take more then one or two movements on the trackball to get across the whole screen.
    07-15-09 05:10 PM
    Actually on a computer it does accelerate the pointer. It's usually a feature that can be disabled/enabled. So if I move a mouse slowly two inches, it'll move the pointer on the screen a certain distance. If I jolt the mouse the same two inches, the pointer will move faster and much further. Convinient when you need to move across the screen, you can still do it in one fast movement.

That being said, I don't find that Tour's screen is large enough to need acceleration feature, doesn't take more then one or two movements on the trackball to get across the whole screen.
    I was just referring to the ball "skipping" against the rollers internally and/or the mouse not being able to keep up, as opposed to more modern, higher dpi, optical mice... Bring on the optical trackpad BB's!!!
    07-15-09 05:15 PM
    Hmmm. I like the way the trackball handles. I have yet to have any issues with it at 70 70
    07-15-09 05:27 PM
    Hmmm. I like the way the trackball handles. I have yet to have any issues with it at 70 70
    I haven't used it but I have been seeing alot of people mentioning problems with the trackball. I was just saying that'd be funny if it was all because they pressed to hard..
    07-15-09 05:30 PM
    Yes that's what the "problem" is : )

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-09 05:36 PM
    I am also fine with it at 70/70
    07-15-09 05:41 PM
    That isn't what the issue is, people pressing too hard. There is a problem with some of the trackballs. Mine will not scroll left very well. If I only use light pressure it will work better. BUT a few of my coworkers have the Tour and it moves left/right fine with any amount of pressure being applied.

Sure, using lighter pressure may help some people, but people aren't having issues BECAUSE they are pressing too hard...
    07-15-09 06:01 PM
    Interesting, you're right about applying less pressure. Comparing back and forth with my Curve I find that the vertical scrolling on the Bold is unaffected by pressure while the horizontal is. However the Curve worked with the same amount of pressure going both ways. Weird.

Anyone opened theirs up yet to see if the trackball mechanism is different?
    07-15-09 06:09 PM
    That isn't what the issue is, people pressing too hard. There is a problem with some of the trackballs. Mine will not scroll left very well. If I only use light pressure it will work better. BUT a few of my coworkers have the Tour and it moves left/right fine with any amount of pressure being applied.

Sure, using lighter pressure may help some people, but people aren't having issues BECAUSE they are pressing
    too hard...
    again DO NOT use ANY pressure. If its light they are using too much.

07-15-09 06:21 PM
    twice when I first got my phone i had the left/right issues. But after playing with it it would work again. I haven't had a problem since the second hour and Ive been playing with my phone non stop. Maybe they just need to get broken in? I didn't change any settings. I dont put any downward pressure I just roll it.
    07-15-09 06:23 PM
    I should have clarified that the sensitivity settings really are not a factor only a personal preference.

Doomed that's exactly it your basically rolling it with no pressue and it works perfectly.

I can duplicate the issue people are having with the left to right scrolling just by adding slight pressure. I guess we will see as more users post their findings.

07-15-09 06:48 PM
    Thank you. You solved my problem. I never would have figured this out on my own! Thank you, again!

It's not that there is a problem with the trackball itself. The pressure applied effects the left to right scrolling if you are noticing any.

Set your trackball setting to Horizontal/80 Vertical/80

Save it.

Then when scrolling left to right DO NOT apply any pressure to the trackball. "Feather" it. It's very sensitive to even the slightest bit of pressure.

These settings worked perfectly for me and I have no issues scrolling left/right/up/down. Experiment with different settings but again DO NOT apply pressure when scrolling.

Give it a shot and report back kiddies.
    07-15-09 06:54 PM
    seems kinda bogus to me. mine scrolls the same whether i apply pressure or not!
    07-15-09 07:08 PM
    I'm using 60 60 the higher setting have me going past stuff to often

07-15-09 08:33 PM
    seems kinda bogus to me. mine scrolls the same whether i apply pressure or not!
    It's not bogus at all. I can duplicate the problem people are having by applying slight to medium pressure on my trackball.
    07-15-09 08:42 PM
    Thank you. You solved my problem. I never would have figured this out on my own! Thank you, again!
    Glad it's solved.......enjoy your Tour : )
    07-15-09 08:44 PM
    For those of you having issues at times scrolling left/right ... is it just when you are navigating through the menu icons? I've noticed a few issues going right with my trackball trying to select icons. But when I am using the trackball in a program (for example, BrickBreaker), I never have scroll issues.

If you are having issues with your track ball, try using it in a program and see if you are having the same issues. I get the sense that some of the 'quirkyness' is OS related.
    07-15-09 08:45 PM
    no change for me at all...

when scrolling, it doesnt feel like the trackball is connecting to the rollers

it feels very "slippery", the ball feels like it has no traction at all sometimes
    07-15-09 09:11 PM
    I couldn't tolerate my left/right track ball problem after having used my boss' Tour and it was flawless.

Just got my replacement Tour today and PROBLEM SOLVED! Works beautifully now.

The new one did have a problem with a loose battery cover though (something the first did not). I popped the battery cover off the old one and put it on the replacement and poof, that's perfect now too. I think that confirms it's just a problem with the way some of the battery doors were molded.

I'm 100% happy now! Pretty solid phone (except wifi, sorry couldn't resist )

EDIT: P.S. I also tried adjusting the sensitivity and for my problem that did not help. Thought I'd throw that in there in case there are varying degrees of this problem. I don't wan't to imply that fix won't help some people, because it may.
    Last edited by czm2000; 07-15-09 at 09:30 PM.
    07-15-09 09:17 PM
    My wife just got home and saw both Tour's and said, "Now what did you do?!" LOL! I had to show her the difference. She could not believe how "sticky/laggy" the left to right was on the orginal Tour compared to how the selection just zips around effortlessly on the new one. The difference is really day and night. Seriously consider getting a replacement if you're having this problem. It's worth it.

P.S. As a reference point, mine was just about as bad if not worse than the Tour in the Engadget video. Now it just zips around like you wouldn't believe.
    07-15-09 09:26 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD