At least it seems to be a software issue on my Tour.
    To whit, on the home screen I can not get any horizontal motion to save my life - makes selecting apps a real PITA.
    However, once I am in the browser for example, horiz scrolling is no problem at all!
    Anyone else?
    08-06-09 02:25 PM
    Verizon told me that it's a known issue with the Tour. RIM is supposedly coming out with a fix in September. My first Tour had problems scrolling to the right.

Makes me wonder what the issue was/is that delayed the Tour from May until July.
    08-06-09 02:27 PM
    Yes I have also started having issues with my Tour trackball. I have found that the lighter the touch on the TB the better. It does also seem to be software related.
    08-06-09 02:29 PM
    08-06-09 02:30 PM
    It's most certainly NOT software on my phone. I can feel the phone not grip the rollers when I roll to the right.
    08-06-09 02:43 PM
    My horizontal works "ok" set at 90, but in Word Mole I can't move around. I also can move just fine in the browser and "better than ok" on the home screen, and I agree: a light touch is better than cramming on the trackball (which I seemed to do when I get frustrated which only makes the problem worse) - I can especially tell that I have an issue when I try to select/highlight and copy/paste - it's all "skippy" and "erratic" - Sprint Rep at the store agreed and exchanged it - this Tour is a little better, but same issues with setting (needs to be at 90) and Word Mole (doesn't work worth a dayum)
    08-06-09 02:46 PM
    I find you have to be gentle scrolling side to side. If you do it lightly, no problem. If you go real fast, it just kind of sits on one icon and vibrates.
    08-06-09 02:47 PM
    Still, just pointing out that it does work in some apps and not in others - which point to software, no? Strange that they would be replacing all these phones for a software issue, instead of just putting out an OTA update...
    08-06-09 03:20 PM
    Heh, heh... Subtle...
    08-06-09 03:43 PM
    Aetius: I did not notice anywhere else a statement that the trackball works in some apps and not others - leading to the guess that the issue is software. Have you?
    08-06-09 04:14 PM
    Still, just pointing out that it does work in some apps and not in others - which point to software, no? Strange that they would be replacing all these phones for a software issue, instead of just putting out an OTA update...
    Unless the fix isn't done, in which case telling people to wait would be bad service, so they offer to replace the phone. Mine doesn't have any trackball issues.

My guess would be it's a mixed hardware/software issue. If it was a blanket software issue, we'd all have the same issue.
    08-06-09 04:32 PM
    Operator error............
    08-06-09 04:42 PM
    Times infinity.
    08-06-09 04:48 PM
    read the threads that he/she very nicely laid out for you and you will see that YES in fact some of the trackball issues can be attributed to software...........

4.7 is buggy yes
    08-06-09 05:35 PM
    So it's operator error when my trackball wouldn't PHYSICALLY roll to the right immediately when I left the store?

Give me a break.
    08-06-09 05:38 PM
    My trackball felt rough when scrolling left to right and smooth when scrolling up and down.

I went in to the store and the service guy could clearly repeat the problem when he was trying it out.

Swapped me out for a new Tour and I got a Gem! Tight battery door, no wavy lines when I click the ball and people can hear me properly now!
    08-06-09 06:47 PM
    User error? That's a good one. It's not like a properly working trackball is tricky to use. Especially since most of us have had blackberrys previously.
    08-06-09 08:49 PM
    So it's operator error when my trackball wouldn't PHYSICALLY roll to the right immediately when I left the store?

Give me a break.
    Some people just like to make themselves seem superior, because it can't possibly be a manufacturing error with it happening everywhere
    Next they'll say you should have checked it before you left, but they spring up randomly and who knows when it would have happened. Good luck, buddy!
    08-06-09 09:57 PM
    When I first got my replacement Tour the trackball was working pretty good. Then it just kept slipping horizontally. I turned the setting up to 90 and that helped a little. Then I put a pretty generous amount of rubbing alcohol on a Q tip and dabbed it on my trackball and moved it around in it. This worked wonderfully and my trackball is perfect now. So thank you for everyone who suggested that!
    08-06-09 11:10 PM
    It's most certainly NOT software on my phone. I can feel the phone not grip the rollers when I roll to the right.
    Yeah. I never had the issue, but a coworker did. Definately was NOT software related. I have never ever had an issue on mine.
    08-07-09 12:32 AM
    Some people just like to make themselves seem superior, because it can't possibly be a manufacturing error with it happening everywhere
    Next they'll say you should have checked it before you left, but they spring up randomly and who knows when it would have happened. Good luck, buddy!
    Believe me, I wanted to check before I left the store. Unfortunately, I got there to get my phone replaced at 8:15pm. For whatever reason, it took them an hour and a half to replace my phone, so by the time I got my new one they were closed. They pretty much pushed me out the door when they gave me my phone, and shut the gate behind me.

Going tomorrow to get it replaced again, this time to a different store where I hope the people are a little more professional. Third time's a charm, hopefully.
    Last edited by slinky317; 08-07-09 at 07:49 AM.
    08-07-09 07:45 AM
    Just got a replacement phone today sent directly from BB (not Sprint) and it works like a charm. Battery door is better too...finally I can enjoy this phone.
    08-07-09 09:46 AM
    My first tour had a loose battery door and a trackball that would not properly track to the left. Sprint telesales sent me a replacement Tour that did not have these issues. Both phones were Mexico 5.
    08-07-09 10:00 AM
    was walking around the mall yesterday ready to head over to vzw to exchange my tour (finally). one of these guys at a cell kiosk started his sales talk and i abruptly stopped him, and vented my complaints with tour trackball....he listened...then asked if he could see it. alcohol wipes + air spray can stuff, and the trackball is back to normal!!! im confused, all along i thought it was defective but it seems to be fine now. just my 2 cents all
    08-07-09 10:28 AM
    it is NOT software related. If so, then even replacement phone would not work. Got mine replaced, had it for two weeks now with no problem.

Verizon also reflashed my phone and that did not help at all!!!! Not software.
    08-07-09 10:40 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD