Any moving part regardless how well it is made will accumulate dirt, dust and oil over time. However bb trackball mechanism are quite sturdy unless you use with very dirty hands.
    07-06-09 10:09 AM
    Haha, yeah, I'm a little freaked out about the trackball too. Mostly because I've never used one!
    They're not that bad. The Storm is great for scrolling and such but the trackball is much more acurate w/ what ever you are trying to select. I don't know about you but I struggle to click on links with my Storm. I end up zooming in like 3 times until I get it right Lol
    07-06-09 10:20 AM
    After lifting the "brick-like" Storm for months, my short 4 days w/ the Pre proved very refreshing. It just felt like a phone phone, ya know? The Tour's even lighter than the Pre, so I'm pumped.
    Seriously! My 8830's been a great phone but after lugging it around for two years I'd swear it was made out of an old boat anchor.

Overall I'm a big fan of the trackball. I've had some problems with mine but I'm not careful with my phone at all; I just throw it in my purse, it rolls around on the floor of my car, etc. Plus it's inevitable that my makeup is going to rub off onto the trackball while I'm on a phone call. So if I have to clean it every couple of months and replace it once a year, that's a small price to pay for the overall great functionality. Sort of like my computer mouse-- if I insist on using my mouse pad to hold Cheetohs, at some point the mouse is going to stop working because it's full of food. Just take it apart, clean the wheel, and continue using the mouse pad as a placemat.

But yeah, the Tour trackball really looks and feels as though it won't have the obvious problems that previous trackballs have had.
    07-06-09 11:41 AM
    They had it just lying on the customer service counter, actually. I went in to ask about an issue with my mini-notebook but they had a Tour right there in front of me on the counter. The SP called it a "dummy" because it wasn't turned on so I couldn't access the OS or any of the apps or anything, but I was still able to get the feel of the phone itself. So yeah, definitely call around! Just holding it and playing around with it was helpful.

Like, it's a lot lighter than my 8830. A LOT lighter. I've had my 8830 for years so maybe this whole "doesn't weigh ten pounds" thing is old news? But it's new to me. And it's awesome.

It's also pretty effing small. And again, I'm used to the 8830 (which is huge in technological comparison), but I'm a chick and I have super small hands so a smaller keyboard doesn't impact me at all. There was a review of the keyboard somewhere recently, though, where the outer keys of the keyboard were critiqued because their outer edges are flush with the bezel making it hard to push the button, and I get where they're coming from. It's not inhibiting, but you'll definitely notice the presence of the outer bezel when you go to press the outer keyboard keys.

But yeah! lol, go find one! I'm clearly obsessed now.
    They make the dummy phones much lighter than the real ones (for the most part) So the one you saw was probably not the exact weight as the real Tour will be. They are lighter because it's basically just the casing of the phone with a little added weight on the inside. The Tour will probably be heavier than what you played with.
    07-06-09 11:59 AM
    They make the dummy phones much lighter than the real ones (for the most part) So the one you saw was probably not the exact weight as the real Tour will be. They are lighter because it's basically just the casing of the phone with a little added weight on the inside. The Tour will probably be heavier than what you played with.
    It's funny you said that-- it was SO light that it occurred to me this morning that it might not have had a battery in it. So that makes sense, that it was just the casing.
    07-06-09 12:12 PM
    I have had my Curve for over a year. On the very few times my trackball jammed. I rolled it up, down, left and right and that was all I needed...good as new.
    07-09-09 09:50 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD