I am new to the Blackberry world, and will soon be purchasing my first Blackberry (through Verizon), and have had my eye on the tour. I have been doing a lot of reading on various models lately, but nothing helps like actual user experience. It looks like I can get the 8330 for no more than $49.99. It is really worth it to pay an extra $150 to get the Tour? From what I've seen it seems that the 8330 is a favorite of a lot of reviewers/users. Can anyone tell me why I should pay $200 for the Tour, other than to be the cool kid on the block. Sorry if this is a basic question or if it has been asked before, but I would really like some help. I also realize that this question may be a little hard to answer given that there are very few people that have been able to get their hands on a Tour so far. Thanks!
    07-05-09 06:24 AM
    There are several helpful reviews from different websites. The Tour is a business device. You're going to have to go over the reviews, and decide which specs you need and which you can do without.
    07-05-09 06:45 AM
    I also have this same question. I noticed that the new phone does have a 3.2 megapix camara and more RAM compared to the Curve. I've been debating on updating myself. Besides, I'm a little apprehensive to take on a newer style phone when the "bugs" haven't been worked out yet.
    07-05-09 06:46 AM
    I personally would wait to get the BB Tour. Its operating system is the same as the Storm and we all know how wonderful that piece of machinery is. I would wait until at least the next software upgrade comes out. But than again this is CrackBerry and people will seem to have an excuse as to why they "need" it asap lol
    Last edited by EVOLVNG; 07-05-09 at 07:10 AM.
    07-05-09 07:05 AM
    If you're new to BB I'd wait awhile until the bugs gey ironed out. Look what a fiasco the Storm was (is)!
    07-05-09 07:23 AM
    Personally I would suggest to get the curve..

The only reason why the tour would be worth anything to you would be if you do international travel... in this case you wont need that extra unlocked gsm phone...that many of us long suffering cdma folks have.

The tour is simply a bigger faster better version of the curve without offering anything revolutionary..
    07-05-09 07:30 AM
    I'm using the 8330 right bow and love it but I am gonna be one of those first people in line to get the Tour. The processor is faster, screen is better, size is slightly bigger and many other updates. They've taken the idea we already love and made it beter.

As for the idea of a buggy phone. The OS is rekated to the Storm but if you were folling around for a while you'd see that the Storm is not as buggy anymore with the new updates. Plus that was RIM's first shot at a touch style phone. The Tour is based on the ideas and designs that they've been using from the start. The people I've seen om here already with the Tour have said how fast and stable the phones they have are and that wasn't even with the newest OS that they will probably be released with.

So for me the $150 extra for the Tour is nothing. I'd be taking the Tour in a second.

Hope this helps. Have fun with either of the BB's you choose.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-09 07:34 AM
    It just depends on your needs. If you are just a basic user then the Curve may serve you well. For me the increased memory and better camera are reason enough, mainly the former. The new styling and better screen are just icing on the cake. Lastly when being locked into a two year contract it is always nice to have the latest and greatest to last you through.
    07-05-09 07:39 AM
    Twice the screen resolution (much nicer for browsing), better camera, will be better supported down the road vs curve (OS 5.0 and the new bbm!), unlocked gps for third party apps (those of us on verizon with curves aren't used to that). There are themes and apps made for 4.6+ only that we can't use. That may be more commonplace down the road. The better keyboard (imo), the faster evdo in my area (rev 0 vs rev A), more memory for applications..

A lot of us have had our 8330's since mid May. To me that is like an eternity, especially because we had to wait a year after at&t to get it. We've watched gsm users get their bolds and 8900 curves, cdma users need some bb love If you're just starting out with bb the curve is an awesome device and you may not see the need to pick the tour over it. Ymmv.

07-05-09 09:15 AM
    I am new to the blackberry world so i will pick the best there is and from reading and seeing The two best are the BOld And The TOur like i will be on sprint i will Take The TOur
    07-05-09 11:51 AM
    So stick with your Curve. If it works, and serves its purpose, there really isn't a reason to switch!
    this is what im starting to think also...I really like my curve and i have all the apps that really makes it a great device for me...I might wait a while before i get the tour but since i have my NE2 coming up, i dont see a reason not to upgrade...
    07-05-09 12:19 PM
    I'm going to agree with most of the answers here. If you're new to Blackberry, the Curve will be enough at first, and maybe for a long time. My wife has had her Pinkberry Curve about a year, and can't imagine needing anything more. In fact, she and a friend of hers just discovered the joys of PIN messaging--unlimited between Blackberrys, regardless of carrier. A good friend of mine has a Curve, and despite his generally techy attitide toward gadgets, simply doesn't use anywhere near the capability of the Curve. He's quite happy with it and will be for a long time.

In my case--after only a few months--I found that I was pushing the phone a bit hard and quickly ran up against its flash memory, RAM, and processor limitations. I scaled back a bit and have been very happy with its capabilities, less so with its performance.

As such, I've been waiting for a "Curve on steroids", a
    Blackberry that will do everything my Curve will--and then some--but do it faster and easier. I don't like touchscreens for typing, so the Storm was never a consideration. The Tour appears to be nearly perfect, missing only wifi. But with VZW's excellent coverage and EVDO Rev A, I won't miss it as much as an ATTer would miss it.

For me, the 'world phone" capabilities are irrelevant. Based on specs I've read, I want it for:
    • Faster processor (70% faster).
    • 4 times the memory.
    • EVDO Rev A is supposed to be more than 4 times faster than Rev 0.
    • Better keyboard (in my opinion).
    • Better screen.
    • Better camera.
    • Ability to geocode photos.
    • Newer design, allowing for OS 5 and newer (hopefully better) apps.

I'm sure I can think of other things, too, after I've spent some time with it. Anyway, if you're planning to get your feet wet as cheaply as possible, the Curve works great. This would also tell you, as cheaply as you can, whether a Blackberry is for you, or if something else might suit you better. I've never regretted getting mine. If, like me, you're planning to push the device to be a phone+handheld computer, you might consider the added $150 to be worthwhile.

My Tour is on preorder. Oh, there is one other thing--since I use mine as my primary communications device for business, I'll be deducting its cost on my income taxes. You may not have that advantage.
    Last edited by Arninetyes; 07-05-09 at 01:29 PM.
    07-05-09 12:56 PM
    Hmm my curve still meets all my expectations. I'll wait to replace.
    08-26-09 10:46 AM
    It looks like I can get the 8330 for no more than $49.99. It is really worth it to pay an extra $150 to get the Tour? From what I've seen it seems that the 8330 is a favorite of a lot of reviewers/users. Can anyone tell me why I should pay $200 for the Tour, other than to be the cool kid on the block.
    Another option: check your local CraigsList and see what 8330's are going for in your area. In my area, I can pick up a fairly new Curve for somewhere in the $75 to $100 dollar range. Sure this is more than the $50 that VZW will sell you one for but... if you buy one from Craigs, you'll have no new phone contract period with VZW.

As such, you can learn the ways of BlackBerry on a very solid little device. Take your time, enjoy your Berry journey and see how things shake out with the Tour and perhaps even the Storm 2 in a few months. Once you are firmly convinced which device you want, pull the trigger with VZW on a new phone from them.

Thereafter, sell the Curve again on CraigsList, give it to your spouse, save it for a spare or whatever.

My $0.02!
    08-26-09 11:11 AM
    I actually think if you search the forums, there are quite a few different "is the tour worth it" threads, and the general consensus is normally: it is a personal decision. You have a grace period under which you can return it to get refund, so take advantage of that and figure out if it is right for you.

It might be an idea to do some research of your own before getting a device. Google is a powerful thing, and you can compare devices, take notes, and figure out if this is something you WANT to something you NEED

08-26-09 11:38 AM
    I personally would wait to get the BB Tour. Its operating system is the same as the Storm and we all know how wonderful that piece of machinery is. I would wait until at least the next software upgrade comes out. But than again this is CrackBerry and people will seem to have an excuse as to why they "need" it asap lol
    This is the kind of opinion you should disregard.
    08-26-09 11:39 AM
    ohhh, can i jump in on the 2 month old thread too????

sigh
    08-26-09 11:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD