Hello All,

I've been considering switching to Verizon and picking a Storm 2, but what's kept me from switching in the past is how restrictive Verizon can be with certain apps and features. For example, I've read in other forums about how, in the past, Verizon has blocked G Maps from accessing the GPS chip unless users had signed up for Verizon's GPS app with it's requisite monthly fee. The only experience I personally have with this is from having tried to use other people's Verizon phones and not been able to access certain things like using bluetooth for transferring photos. I guess Verizon would prefer you use an MMS and pay for it.

Anyway, I'd like to know what the Crackberry community has to say about this. Is Verizon still blocking or restricting features and apps? Does google maps currently work on Verizon with the same accuracy as it would on ATT? The Tour is probably tops on my list if I switch to VZ and don't get a storm 2, so I'd like to know what it's like.

Thanks,

Bruno
    10-28-09 06:08 PM
    i have both google maps and blackberry maps installed on my tour (obviously vzw doesnt restrict the use of gps on gmap if im using it) and there's really not that much difference between the two when it comes to finding directions for a place.. but yeah.. anyways.. i dont know about other apps but gmap works for me.. vzw tour
    10-28-09 06:11 PM
    You need to talk to a Verizon rep.
    10-28-09 06:20 PM
    The GPS is not locked down on the Tour, Storm, or Storm 2.
    10-28-09 06:23 PM
    Yep. No lockdown on those models at all.
    10-28-09 06:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD