Mary, mother of God on Earth.. and in Heaven at the exact same time, WHAT IN SAM'S NAME does it mean when speaking of unlocked Ala Tour???

Did I miss something? lol, I've had 3 tours already (on #4, going strong!) and STILL to this day have no idea what it means to unlock a tour, or have a locked tour, or whatever.. please can you explain?
    Thanks

!
    11-03-09 11:59 PM
    Unlocking the tour is in essence "unlocking" the GSM card slot to accept GSM cards from any carrier other than its branded carrier.
    IE: My carrier, Bell locks the Sim slot to its own sim card for overseas use. I unlocked it via 3rd party (cellunlock) and voilla, I insert my AT&T sim card when i am in the USA and run on AT&T's network.

Sprint tours I beleive are unlocked at point of purchase. Verizon i think you have to fit a certain criteria and they will provide you with the unlock code for free.
    Us Canadians have to pay to unlock it as Bell and Telus don't like giving us any freedom.

Hope that answers your question
    11-04-09 12:06 AM
    Yes, it does! Thank you my friend!
    11-04-09 01:49 AM
    I am on Sprint and my Tour did not come unlocked. If the other posts are correct with regards to this issue then going to: options/advanced options/sim card and type m-e-p-d. if it says network active then it is locked. If is is unlocked Network will say inactive or disabled.

I contacted Sprint as I am going to a wedding in November in England. The rep told me that she "unlocked" the phone for me and did not provide a code for me to manually do this. This rep was either not telling me the whole story or did not have a clue as to what she was saying or doing. My phone still states that the network is active.
    11-04-09 01:55 AM
    You need them to give you a code and then input that code.
    11-04-09 12:11 PM
    I am on Sprint and my Tour did not come unlocked. If the other posts are correct with regards to this issue then going to: options/advanced options/sim card and type m-e-p-d. if it says network active then it is locked. If is is unlocked Network will say inactive or disabled.

I contacted Sprint as I am going to a wedding in November in England. The rep told me that she "unlocked" the phone for me and did not provide a code for me to manually do this. This rep was either not telling me the whole story or did not have a clue as to what she was saying or doing. My phone still states that the network is active.
    If you got your Tour within the first month of release, then your Tour was locked with Sprint. Since then, all subsequent Tours have come unlocked from Sprint. You'll need to call and get an unlock code.
    11-04-09 12:15 PM
    I have the Tour from Sprint and yes it came unlocked. Call your carrier to get unlock code and tell them your going overseas.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-04-09 01:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD