First post on here, but on lots of other Forums. Getting my first ever BB next week a slighly used Tour (since Feb anyway). I see the Tour has a record of Trackball issues. So If I have problems and replace it with one from a outside vender or BB, is that all? Is it a one time R&R or do I need to order by the dozen! Thank You!!
    06-17-10 03:30 PM
    i didnt have any problem with my tour other than minor issues with the trackball getting stuck once a month or so and normally corrected itself. and i bought it used from someone who is a heavy user.
    06-17-10 03:35 PM
    I've had mine since Oct.3 and never had a problem with the trackball, or anything for that matter. I think a lot of people on here that cry about the trackball cause a large majority of the problem themselves. Dirt, grease and probably lotion on their finger while trying to use the trackball would be a good start. Granted I'm sure there are plenty of legit trackball problems, but not all of them.
    06-17-10 03:40 PM
    Welcome! Most of the trackball issues existed only in the first batch of tours. After this, the issue was corrected. The only other real problem I've heard about the 9630s has been a slightly floppy or loose battery door that is easily fixed by inserting a small piece of paper up under the door. Enjoy the Tour; you should be fine mate!
    06-17-10 09:47 PM
    Thanks for the replies. So its just like having a trackball in say like a mouse where you get to clean it once in a while. Found the video on using a strip of paper, I think that would work better with parchment paper. Its thinner and stronger. This is a great web group, thanks again.
    06-18-10 04:27 PM
    I've had two tours (first one bricked on an OS update). That trackball was great, my replacement sticks every now and then, like it gets under the lid a little, but pushing on it fixes it. Of course if you go to the thread about tours getting replaced with bolds suddenly there is a rash of bad trackballs. lol
    06-18-10 05:29 PM
    I'd predict that a lot of refurb Tours are going to end up on eBay. Its a shame that Verizon / RIM just can't fix the problem with a upgraded design for the trackball or replace it with the trackpad like the Bold.
    06-18-10 06:55 PM
    I had trackball issues I finally had the trackball replaced and it was great. My screen went bad so I was sent a refurb from sprint. The first phone had a bad trackball that was not working right out of the box. The second replacement they sent me seems to be working fine.

The phone still is a great phone. Its too bad that they could not correct the trackball issues on the tour, but it seems that carriers and manufacturers like to release a new device to replace a device that causes problems instead of correctly solving the current devices problems.
    06-19-10 11:45 AM
    My Tour is from one of the 1st batches and had a problem with scrolling horizontally. I eventually ended up just replacing the trackball assembly myself and all has been well since. I do find that for whatever reason, the trackball on the Tour tends to pickup more dust that the one on my Curve does. Every now and then I press down on the ball, roll it around, and all this white crud comes out of it.
    06-19-10 11:54 AM
    I use the paper strip method once a month since I work outdoors and my hands are constantly dirty. I use that method and I also place the BB face down on a piece of paper and just roll it back and forth for a minute. You would be surprised how well your trackball will work after doing this.
    06-19-10 06:06 PM
    I'm retired but I have a nice shop to work in, metal fab, welding, woodworking plus I keep active outside. In the process now of putting together a wind generator that I built. I was hoping to keep my Tour in my pocket, maybe that won't be an option. It is coming with both chargers and a carrying case, which I assume has a belt clip.

I don't mind cleaning a trackball or even replacing. I did some reading over on the Bold area, seems some people are having problems with the track pad?
    06-19-10 08:31 PM
    Welcome. You can also buy an otterbox for the tour. This will protect the phone from shocks and such. It comes with a clear membrane that covers the keypad and also has a small opening for the track ball to keep out crud.

It also helps to get rid of the loose battery door because it has a hard shell covering it

But get one fast as Verizon stores are stopping the selling of them because the Tour is discontinued

Cheer
    06-20-10 02:34 AM
    I've had two tours (first one bricked on an OS update). That trackball was great, my replacement sticks every now and then, like it gets under the lid a little, but pushing on it fixes it. Of course if you go to the thread about tours getting replaced with bolds suddenly there is a rash of bad trackballs. lol
    Crap, you just invaded my thought process.
    06-23-10 09:30 AM
    Welcome! Most of the trackball issues existed only in the first batch of tours. After this, the issue was corrected. The only other real problem I've heard about the 9630s has been a slightly floppy or loose battery door that is easily fixed by inserting a small piece of paper up under the door. Enjoy the Tour; you should be fine mate!
    Yeah as far as I'm concerned those are niggly and picky things. Im not sure people should be returning their phones for a loose battery door, although I guess it would depend on how loose.

Thanks for the replies. So its just like having a trackball in say like a mouse where you get to clean it once in a while. Found the video on using a strip of paper, I think that would work better with parchment paper. Its thinner and stronger. This is a great web group, thanks again.
    Yeah, only problem is they didn't make the ball removable, which would have basically made the issue non existent. Personally I didn't like the paper method. I found I had to make it so thin I was afraid I would tear it inside there and then what do you do? Now you got a piece of paper stuck under there too. I had major trackball issues, and I got a green dot, only thing that I found the worked for any amount of time was a can of air. just get the little straw in there and blow it out real good. Worked wonders on mine, although I'm starting to have problems again. Obviously don't use the trackball either if you got a bunch of chunder on your fingers either.

I'd predict that a lot of refurb Tours are going to end up on eBay. Its a shame that Verizon / RIM just can't fix the problem with a upgraded design for the trackball or replace it with the trackpad like the Bold.
    Yeah a redesigned trackball would have been nice. Ive heard a Curve trackball works great and doesn't have problems, but the entire phone has to be disassembled to put it in and probably voids your warranty.

As for the Bold trackpad well if you look at the Bold and Tour side by side it looks like they purposely made the trackpad and top button assembly just big enough so it wouldn't fit in a Tour...don't know why on that.
    Last edited by loki993; 06-23-10 at 10:45 AM.
    06-23-10 10:39 AM
    My first Tour was replaced because the trackball failed. My second Tour is being replaced because the lock/unlock button is failing. My second Tour was one of the Verizon certified devices so I don't know if that would have been an issue on a new Tour.
    06-23-10 10:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD