Plannin on upgrading to the Tour in January, and using both that and my Storm equally, but I was curious about the trackball. I actually like the white, glow trackball that the previous Berries have a lot more than the black trackball on the Tour.

Would it be pretty simple to purchase one of those, pop the black trackball out of the Tour, and pop the white trackball in? And if I did that, would the white trackball actually glow? Sorry if this has been asked already, I hang out in the Storm forums usually. lol.
    06-17-09 10:24 PM
    I fail to see logic in not including a light up trackball. does it cost that much? Would it be so hard to put some programming in to turn it off for those that want it tat way-therefore satisfing both aspects?
    Last edited by Evermore707; 06-17-09 at 10:29 PM. Reason: spelling
    06-17-09 10:29 PM
    I fail to see logic in not including a light up trackball. does it cost that much? Would it be so hard to put some programming in to turn it off for those that want it tat way-therefore satisfing both aspects?
    Seriously. I love the look that a light up trackball gives the phone. Looks pretty cool if you ask me. It should definitely be something you can turn on and off at ur own discretion.
    06-17-09 10:34 PM
    i asked this about a month ago and cx said it will glow.
    06-17-09 10:43 PM
    i asked this about a month ago and cx said it will glow.
    Peep the vid...the thing doesnt glow bud. I'm highly dissapointed with this.

06-17-09 10:45 PM

yes it does..

It has a black trackball in it, so of course it wouldn't glow. But you can see the light around it a bit in the video.
    06-17-09 10:48 PM
    because that is the black trackball.
    06-17-09 10:48 PM
    uh stick the white clear one in it and it should glow
    06-17-09 10:50 PM
    yes it does..

It has a black trackball in it, so of course it wouldn't glow. But you can see the light around it a bit in the video.
    yea, I can see that. I dont want it to glow around it tho. I want the actual trackball to glow like the white ones do. Hopefully "godofdeath" is right...

Anyone have any facts on whether this would work or not???
    06-17-09 10:55 PM
    because that is the black trackball.
    Please read the few posts in the thread before droppin a line. lol. Wow.
    06-17-09 10:56 PM
    Please read the few posts in the thread before droppin a line. lol. Wow.
    You do realize that the light is just bending around the black trackball and coming from underneath it...If you were to put a white/clear one in the place of the black trackbell the light would pass through it, giving it the appearance of glowing...
    06-17-09 10:57 PM
    You do realize that the light is just bending around the black trackball and coming from underneath it...If you were to put a white/clear one in the place of the black trackbell the light would pass through it, giving it the appearance of glowing...
    lol. Yes ppl, I can see the light from underneath. lol. I was just hoping to find out that it would be possible for the light to shine thru a white trackball for sure. A few ppl have assumed, but I was hoping for some firm comfirmation ya know.
    06-17-09 11:01 PM
    lol. Yes ppl, I can see the light from underneath. lol. I was just hoping to find out that it would be possible for the light to shine thru a white trackball for sure. A few ppl have assumed, but I was hoping for some firm comfirmation ya know.
    Yea I got you, haha. But yea as long as the trackball is clear enough I'm almost positive that light will have no problem passing through making it glow =)
    06-17-09 11:05 PM
    Where does one purchase said white trackball? I agree that the light up one would look better.
    What browser will you be using?
    What browser will you be using?
    What difference does that make here?
    06-17-09 11:07 PM
    06-17-09 11:11 PM
    I am soooo glad it is a black trackball and not a white one. My trackball is so dirty after a year of use that when it's not lit up it looks brown and when it is, it looks yellow or orange. It's gross looking. Can't wait for the black.
    06-17-09 11:11 PM
    yea, I can see that. I dont want it to glow around it tho. I want the actual trackball to glow like the white ones do. Hopefully "godofdeath" is right...

Anyone have any facts on whether this would work or not???
    No one can be 100% sure until they get the phone and change the trackball to see, but I've changed the trackball in several berries from white to black to red and back again, and the colored ones always glow. I can't imagine that the technology involved in backlighting the trackball has changed so substantially in the 9630 that a white trackball wouldn't glow like it does in the 8830 et al. In fact, given that you can see the glow AROUND the trackball in posted videos, I'd bet you're safe in assuming a white trackball transplant would glow the way you want.
    06-17-09 11:14 PM
    No need to. I got weirdos to do it for me.

...and for the record, I did search "trackball." Go try it urself. This thread that you just linked DID NOT show up for me.
    Last edited by shaydakiss23; 06-17-09 at 11:19 PM.
    06-17-09 11:15 PM
    No one can be 100% sure until they get the phone and change the trackball to see, but I've changed the trackball in several berries from white to black to red and back again, and the colored ones always glow. I can't imagine that the technology involved in backlighting the trackball has changed so substantially in the 9630 that a white trackball wouldn't glow like it does in the 8830 et al. In fact, given that you can see the glow AROUND the trackball in posted videos, I'd bet you're safe in assuming a white trackball transplant would glow the way you want.
    Yea, i just figured that someone who's in on all the top secret device info would know for sure. No sweat. Thanks.
    06-17-09 11:16 PM

if you put a white trackball in it it will glow..

the glow actually comes from a LED underneath which lights up the circle around the ball...
    if the ball is white it will light the ball up..
    06-18-09 01:10 AM
    I think the best option would be a different color. Black is harder to see in dim light, and my white one is looking a little gray.

I wonder if they fixed the light sensor issue in the Tour. Ideally, that should be a user controlled function.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-09 06:13 AM
    if you put a white trackball in it it will glow..

the glow actually comes from a LED underneath which lights up the circle around the ball...
    if the ball is white it will light the ball up..
    Cool. I've looked a a few youtube videos and taken notice that its A LOT more complicated (having to completely disassemble the phone) to replace the trackball in the Bold and Curve 8900 than what it was in the 8330 and previous Berries. I'm assuming this will be the case with the Tour as well.

I really would like the white track ball, but I dont know if im willing to disassemble a brand new phone and flirt with warranty in order to do so. They clearly said that when the phone is disassembled like that, you sacrifice your warranty. I dont know. Guess I got a lot of time to think about it tho. lol.
    06-18-09 06:41 AM
    Ditto @ PP who indicated that the white trackballs get dirty really, really quickly. They look fine in the light but then they glow this gross yellow orange color.
    06-18-09 06:50 AM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD