I have a question, and I hope someone knows the answer =/. On my Storm, when I text it only gives me a 160 character maximum. I was told that i am unable to increase the number of characters i can put in a single text message unless i actually use a MMS. And I really dont feel like sending those all the time haha. Will the Tour be the same way or will i be able to type more characters in without using the MMS feature? I remember I had a phone awhile ago, it was a SonyEricsson k550i, that had this feature. I could pretty much type an unlimited amount of characters if i remember correctly. Thanks guys!

Sorry if this has been posted before, i haven't seen it though. Thanks guys!
    06-22-09 12:43 AM
    thats interesting. i dont see why they would change especially because its gonna run on older softwear from the beginning. but this may not be a phone issue, because as you can type more than 160 with a blackberry, i know with many other phones, more that 120 characters just wont send to other phones and cut off, this may be a limitation vzw may set up in order to keep things sending to a small size. i am no expert, but i dont see any reason why they would all of a sudden change this unfortunately
    06-22-09 12:52 AM
    Yes, 160 is Verizon's cap. It's really annoying. Especially because I always get the second part of a 2 text message before the first.
    06-22-09 12:54 AM
    Ew so its verizon, not the phone? That's even worse lol.
    06-22-09 01:03 AM
    agreed, thats why i say "got cut off..." beacause sometimes my friends will send 2 and i will think he needs to be institutionalized for what he is saying, because i will be unaware of the 1st message
    06-22-09 01:04 AM
    Yes, after 160 characters Verizon cuts it off, BUT if you're texting to another Verizon user, the entire message goes through. Blah...lol.
    06-22-09 01:26 AM
    Yes, after 160 characters Verizon cuts it off, BUT if you're texting to another Verizon user, the entire message goes through. Blah...lol.

keep in mind that SMS was designed to be 160 from the get go..

having more is known as EMS.. (I believe)

if you take a storm unlock it put it on at&t you have pages for texts...

truthfully I can't wait until texting is just well GONE cya no need .. get rid of it seriously...

every phone should just simply support email.. that way your conversations flow through everything you use...
    06-22-09 01:29 AM
    i believe there is an app for this -- Beyond160.

check it out. (i dont have a bb yet and so can't give my .02 on the app itself, but that's what i have written down to pick up when i get my tour )
    06-22-09 01:34 AM
    Yea it sucks because I had a voyager before my curve and if I wanted to type a long *** text I could but it would just break it up for delivery purposes. No I can only type 160 and it is annoying. Makes me wish everybody just had a blackberry so I could use bbm with the world.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-09 01:41 AM
    Yea it sucks because I had a voyager before my curve and if I wanted to type a long *** text I could but it would just break it up for delivery purposes. No I can only type 160 and it is annoying. Makes me wish everybody just had a blackberry so I could use bbm with the world.

So Blackberry doesn't split it into 2 messages like other phones? My Moto Q changes from xxx/160 to xxx/320 (2messages) and it just sends 2.
    06-22-09 01:50 AM
    It's CDMA (Sprint, Alltell), not just Verizon.
    06-22-09 01:51 AM
    So Blackberry doesn't split it into 2 messages like other phones? My Moto Q changes from xxx/160 to xxx/320 (2messages) and it just sends 2.
    Beyond 160 will split it up. You can also just use MMS which will allow more characters, but some carriers may have an issue with this. As mentioned, this is not just a Verizon thing.
    06-22-09 03:12 AM
    Beyond160 works fine for me, also in 5.0 the new BBM is said to support true threaded sms.

forkup
    06-22-09 06:15 AM
    Beyond 160 will split it up. You can also just use MMS which will allow more characters, but some carriers may have an issue with this. As mentioned, this is not just a Verizon thing.
    Agreed, just use mms and problem is solved. Also keep in mind that SMS stands for Short Message Service so like some of the others have said it was intended to be that way from the get go.
    06-22-09 06:20 AM
    It's CDMA (Sprint, Alltell), not just Verizon.
    CDMA BlackBerries but I'm not too certain about WM CDMA's. When I had the Pocket PC and the Mogul, I used to go way beyond the 160 limit. It may have something to do with changing the rom and kitchen though.
    06-22-09 06:31 AM
    i think vzw charges you for mms that do not have a pic in them, or maybe mms that have any text in them, even with the pic, i forget.
    06-22-09 06:41 AM
    just get the app beyond160
    06-22-09 07:27 AM
    Yes, 160 is Verizon's cap. It's really annoying. Especially because I always get the second part of a 2 text message before the first.
    yeah, that is definitely annoying. i dont know why they havent increased it from 160 already. i mean, i'm not tryin to write a novel, but some of the texts i send are over that 160 limit....especially since i use dots in alot of my messages....
    06-22-09 08:32 AM
    yeah, that is definitely annoying. i dont know why they havent increased it from 160 already. i mean, i'm not tryin to write a novel, but some of the texts i send are over that 160 limit....especially since i use dots in alot of my messages....
    Ya, I use full punctuation and I don't do UR, BRB, NE way, and junk. But I guess they said its a CDMA limit.
    06-26-09 09:55 AM
    It's NOT Verizon. Verizon carries phones that can text over 160. It's BlackBerry and Verizon together.
    06-26-09 09:58 AM
    Ew so its verizon, not the phone? That's even worse lol.
    It's CDMA period.
    06-26-09 10:44 AM
    my last phone, the original samsung alias, supported splitting up texts. I find it really odd that blackberry can do so much but cannot do this. I hope its something they support in bbm on 5.0 along with threading
    06-26-09 02:09 PM
    The reason is that a text message is not technically data. Thats why on CDMA you can txt and talk at the same time.

The idea behind SMS is that it travels alongside the voice channel. This is why it costs a carrier NOTHING to supply SMS as a service, but most people (if you take offense, im sorry, its just true) pay 10, 20, even 30 a month just to send txt messages. It actually shocks me how uninformed most people are about how much money a carrier makes off SMS.
    06-26-09 04:00 PM
    Don't know if anyone mentioned sending MMS instead of SMS. Type your heart out!
    06-26-09 04:03 PM
    Or use a messenger service like yahoo messenger which works perfectly on a berry.

06-26-09 04:09 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD