If this is your first BB, or if you upgraded from a Pearl or some other lesser model then you'll love the Tour. If however you've had several different BB's, specifically a Curve, Bold, or Storm, then you might agree with my opinions.

The Tour is nothing more than a sexier Curve. The trackball on the Curve was much better in my opinion. The ball on the Tour is recessed so far into the device that it almost fully sinks in when pressed. I liked the high, firm feeling of the ball on the Curve a lot more. Don't get me wrong, the ball works fine on the Tour, I just don't like how they designed it.

I liked the keys on the Curve much better. They had a smooth surface and you could always tell when your finger was on the right key. With the Tour they got all cutesy and put a raised fin, or ridge on each key. Say what you want but the fact of the matter is that I typed 10 times faster on the Curve than I do with the Tour, and with the Tour I'm constantly backspacing to delete mistakenly typed keys.

The fact that they moved the charging port to the right side is just moronic and serves no purpose other than to **** people off. It's now very awkward to use the thing while it's plugged in. If the rumors are true and it's because someone on the design team was a lefty, well then RIM is pretty stupid for letting that happen. Fact is most people are right-handed.

I only switched from the Storm because I was bored, but I'll probably switch back in a few days.

That's my 2 cents
    10-03-09 11:51 AM
    All in all, I think the tour is much better than my old curve, but I agree completely regarding the trackball. My fat fingers hit the menu and return buttons with great frequency as I depress the trackball. This didn't happen with the curve because, as you pointed out, it was more elevated. I'm starting to get used to the keyboard on my tour, but I was able to type faster and with less errors on my old curve. That said, the tour has so many advantages over the curve (screen resolution, memory, speed, gsm, camera, etc.) I could never say it's anything less than a major upgrade.

Regarding the placement of the charging port, I don't like it either, but it's been suggested that it had to do with the placement of the GSM guts.
    10-03-09 01:12 PM
    You have to understand that everyone has a different opinion, no right or wrong here. For myself, i like the design of this trackball waaaayyyy better than the curve or pearl etc.. also the keypad is among the best ive tried (including palm's) but i also wouldn't have any problem with the curve keypad. Charging port... well only time i charge it is when i turn it off and time for bed so a non issue for me. Basically i have nothing to complain about the Tour. Although you have good arguements....saying that the Tour sucks well, maybe for you, but not for everyone.
    10-03-09 01:24 PM
    I love my Tour...it has by far surpassed the performance of my curve. After upgrading to 5.0 it has gotten even faster. Don't care what everyone says, I will stick with this phone for quite a while.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-03-09 01:24 PM
    Definitely a matter of opinion. I find the Tour to be about 10 leagues above the curve in build quality, namely the soft keyboard and quality case materials.

10-03-09 01:35 PM
    It's all personal opinion.

Go back to your curve then.
    10-03-09 01:42 PM
    If this is your first BB, or if you upgraded from a Pearl or some other lesser model then you'll love the Tour. If however you've had several different BB's, specifically a Curve, Bold, or Storm, then you might agree with my opinions.

The Tour is nothing more than a sexier Curve. The trackball on the Curve was much better in my opinion. The ball on the Tour is recessed so far into the device that it almost fully sinks in when pressed. I liked the high, firm feeling of the ball on the Curve a lot more. Don't get me wrong, the ball works fine on the Tour, I just don't like how they designed it.

I liked the keys on the Curve much better. They had a smooth surface and you could always tell when your finger was on the right key. With the Tour they got all cutesy and put a raised fin, or ridge on each key. Say what you want but the fact of the matter is that I typed 10 times faster on the Curve than I do with the Tour, and with the Tour I'm constantly backspacing to delete mistakenly typed keys.

The fact that they moved the charging port to the right side is just moronic and serves no purpose other than to **** people off. It's now very awkward to use the thing while it's plugged in. If the rumors are true and it's because someone on the design team was a lefty, well then RIM is pretty stupid for letting that happen. Fact is most people are right-handed.

I only switched from the Storm because I was bored, but I'll probably switch back in a few days.

That's my 2 cents
    I find that you are just nit picky, but that's just your opinion. The tour is a good phone, I wouldn't say the best. I do agree with the trackball, but honestly the keyboard is great, its quiet, sleek, and great to type on. I doubt I need to type 10x faster, but I could type at a pace I feel comfortable with. I don't see a need to play with my phone while its charging so for people like me its not a problem. You stating that this phone sucks is probably not the best choice in words, since I would say a majority of the people that have a great working tour think its great.
    10-03-09 01:45 PM
    I agree with Bakarus. The trackball could be better but the keyboard is awesome, I type faster on this than the Tour and about the same as the Bold. I don't need to play with my phone while I's charging also, if its charging..let it charge!

10-03-09 02:17 PM
    I like the Tour wayyyy better than my Storm. That's for sure.
    10-03-09 02:19 PM

Well this is my first BB and ive been very happy about it thus far.

As for they typing, it is taking some getting used to. I previously had the LG V, EnV, and Voyager and with their will flip open keyboard (much bigger buttons) i could easily type 50x faster with that. But in the almost week ive owned the Tour ive made a good increase in typing ability with it
    10-03-09 02:22 PM
    The Tour is A LOT better then a curve and 10 times better then the Storm hands down

10-03-09 02:27 PM
    Tour is my 3rd and favorite BlackBerry, hands down. I used the **** out of my 8330 before this and was in love with it. I picked it up the other day to fool around and just laughed.

However, I do agree that having the USB on the bottom right is a bit of a PITA, but I'm doubting the "lefty" rumor. If it were true, it would make more sense for the USB to be top right and headphone to be top left. Bottom on either side is bad for everybody.
    10-03-09 02:49 PM
    My trackball is also too recessed.

While at first I did not mind the usb port where it is (being left handed might be part of that), I realized that on my 8830 I could charge it with the Otterbox inside its holster. I canNOT charge the Tour while in the holster because it port is too low down.
    10-03-09 03:30 PM
    I would say that the Tour does what is advertised very well, and if it sucks or not...well it's a matter of opinion.
    10-03-09 04:10 PM
    i have the curve and the tour...i have gone back and forth many times....

my tour is soooo much easier to navigate around on than my curve. mainly because the tour trackball is so much better...and becasuse the ui is so much cleaner.

i have had the curve, the 8830 world phone and the storm...so far, the tour beats them all in my book.
    10-03-09 04:40 PM
    Thanks for your subjective opinion OP.

FYI the tour is not for those with big fingers.
    10-03-09 04:49 PM
    I liked the high, firm feeling of the ball on the Curve a lot more.

I liked the keys on the Curve much better.

I typed 10 times faster on the Curve than I do with the Tour, and with the Tour I'm constantly backspacing to delete mistakenly typed keys.

That's my 2 cents
    Maybe a better title for this thread would have been The Tour sucks FOR ME (well, kinda)

Go back to the curve then and stop your whining.
    Last edited by wetherb67; 10-03-09 at 05:01 PM.
    10-03-09 04:57 PM
    just curious...if the you cant type on the tour and that is one of the aspects that "sucks" then why are you switching back to your storm? I find it very hard to believe you can type faster on a storm than a tour.
    10-03-09 05:06 PM
    My trackball is also too recessed.

While at first I did not mind the usb port where it is (being left handed might be part of that), I realized that on my 8830 I could charge it with the Otterbox inside its holster. I canNOT charge the Tour while in the holster because it port is too low down.
    That sounds like an otterbox issue. Shouldn't any case designed for the tour have an opening in the right spot for the usb port?
    10-03-09 05:12 PM
    I do have to say the trackball in the Tour was alot better but other then that the tour is a all around way better device, I think it looks alot better 2 alot more onboard memmory, faster processor, higher resolution screen, way better camera, and the listgoes on and on. I did love the curve but honestly the plastic felt cheaper. A couple of time ive just set my old curve down and it reset itself. I actually feel like the tour feels like a much more durable phone honestly and i like keyboard way more after i got use to it i culd typ way faster then on my old curve. But that's just my opinion and every1s entitled to their own.
    10-03-09 05:14 PM
    I only agree with the trackball comment but after you get use to it it rarely happens. Other than that the Tour is levels ahead of the Curve and far better than the Storm. It is fatser, more stable, has more app memory, superior camera and video, and I am not even on 5.0 or any leak. I was worried about the keybard when I first saw it but after using the keyboard I can type long strings without any errors at all. I love that I can jam plenty of apps and themes without having to check my memory status all the time. There is no lag, I have all the apps I need and still sit on 100MB of free memory!!!
    10-03-09 05:26 PM
    1. The trackball thing doesn't make it suck, it means you prefer one over the other. I used to work at a paddle shop and people would always ask "which is better: canoeing or kayaking?" And we'd answer "whatever you think is better, is better".

2. I agree, slightly, on the keyboard issue, it took some getting used to.

3. I agree on the charging port thing too, BAD placement.

HOWEVER, that doesn't mean the phone sucks, it means you don't prefer it. Just grab something else that you'd prefer to use.
    10-03-09 05:29 PM
    It's a matter of opinion. I've owned the Storm, Curve 8330 and now the Tour and for me the Tour is hands-down the best of the three. I'll admit, the keyboard and TB are totally a different feel the the Curve and it did take a few days to get used to but once I did, they feel much better than the Curve. Plus everything is so much faster and more solid feeling all around. I love my Tour and will have this phone for a long time, that's for sure.
    10-03-09 06:10 PM
    Another reason I love the tour vs my old curve is that the keyboard is so quiet and I can type in meetings, presentations without bothering anyone. The loud click on the curve was just loud.

10-03-09 06:53 PM
    That sounds like an otterbox issue. Shouldn't any case designed for the tour have an opening in the right spot for the usb port?
    The actual case has an appropriate opening. It is the holster portion which wraps around the bottom and sides.
    10-03-09 11:41 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD