Seems like most blackberries have a plastic screen, but I think the Bold has a glass one.

Does anyone KNOW if the tour's screen will be plastic or glass?
    06-18-09 03:04 PM
    I'm hoping plastic! If not idk how well that phone and I will go together. My curve has made it through tons of falls with its plastic screen and I know the tour will have it handful of falls in time.
    06-18-09 03:07 PM
    From BG's 9630 Review:
    The screen on the 9630 looks great. It really looks like a plasma display with a glass lens over it. Colors are rich, sharp, and images are crisp. One thing we don’t like is the bezel around the screen. The Bold and 8900 LCD basically goes right up against the outer case of the handsets, yet with the 9630, there’s a black bezel around the LCD. We would have loved for the screen to be a tiny bit bigger because as it is, the Bold is still reigning champion of BlackBerry screens, if only for size alone.
    06-18-09 03:09 PM
    I'm hoping plastic! If not idk how well that phone and I will go together. My curve has made it through tons of falls with its plastic screen and I know the tour will have it handful of falls in time.
    Plastic scratches, glass does not, or at least it is MUCH harder to scratch plastic then glass. I have let my Storm screen be naked the entire time I have had it and with a little Windex and a microfiber cloth it looks as good as new. I hope the glass is true!

*I accidentally put "glass than plastic", woops!*
    Last edited by .MgB.; 06-19-09 at 01:53 PM.
    06-18-09 03:11 PM
    Plastic scratches, glass does not, or at least it is MUCH harder to scratch glass than plastic. I have let my Storm screen be naked the entire time I have had it and with a little Windex and a microfiber cloth it looks as good as new. I hope the glass is true!
    Very true, but glass also does shatter into tiny little pieces and plastic does not. I'm not saying I am going to slam that sucker on the ground, but slip ups do happen and they happen to me a lot.
    06-18-09 03:13 PM
    The review says it looks like a plasma with glass over it, but I'm not sure if that means it looks like glass is over it, or it is covered by glass. I am hoping for glass as well, as glass holds up much better than plastic.

So my question still stands. For any of you that actually know, is the screen covered by glass or plastic?
    06-18-09 03:14 PM
    I much rather have it be glass..

my iPhone nor storm every had the slightest scratch or nick during the entire time of use..

plastic sometimes if just a key touches it you have a scratch..
    06-18-09 04:43 PM
    I'm hoping for plastic, Glass is heavy. If anyone here wears glasses you know what I'm talking about. The fact that the Storm has a glass screen probably accounts for the weight. It needs to go to a fat farm and drop a few pounds. I use Phantom Skinz with my 8330 and it doesn't obscure or make the screen hazy at all.
    06-18-09 05:10 PM
    The screen on my psp is plastic and it never scratches, and i can't even begin to count how many times i've dropped that thing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-09 05:39 PM
    i think i'd prefer a plastic screen...i tend to drop my phones a lot :/
    06-18-09 05:48 PM
    I disagree w/ the glass being too heavy. I recently replaced the glass in my current phone and it was extremely light. Also, BaconJay, you're right; the psp does have a remarkably durable screen.

Still, does anybody know firsthand whether or not the screen is glass or plastic?
    06-18-09 05:50 PM
    I hope its glass...Plastic is very cheep and scratches A LOT easier then Glass....the only thing I did like about the storm was its glass screen, never ever has a problem scratching it nicking it. I work in contruction and the glass had held up againest all I put it through so far....cant really say the same about plastic screens...they look terrible when I'm done with them
    06-18-09 06:00 PM
    i believe its glass or atleast it feels like glass to me. either way its a very good looking screen
    06-18-09 06:04 PM
    I don't want to flame anyone here, but the OP was is the screen glass or plastic? He didn't ask you what your opinion was or what you hope it will be. This was a great question and I have been wondering this myself. It could have been answered with one post. Anyone clicking on this thread will now have to sort through a pile of junk to find the answer.

If you guys want to speculate on what the lens will be made of start a 9630 lens speculation thread! This was a specific question that deserves a specific answer!

Rant done. Thanks for listening and sorry for getting excited.
    06-18-09 06:08 PM
    I don't want to flame anyone here, but the OP was is the screen glass or plastic? He didn't ask you what your opinion was or what you hope it will be. This was a great question and I have been wondering this myself. It could have been answered with one post. Anyone clicking on this thread will now have to sort through a pile of junk to find the answer.

If you guys want to speculate on what the lens will be made of start a 9630 lens speculation thread! This was a specific question that deserves a specific answer!

Guilty as charged.. Sorry, I understand. I have no clue, but I sure would like to know too.
    06-18-09 06:19 PM
    Seems like most blackberries have a plastic screen, but I think the Bold has a glass one.

Does anyone KNOW if the tour's screen will be plastic or glass?
    I wanted you to know that I just emailed RIM and asked them. I figured why not go to the source right? I will post their response as soon as I get one.
    06-18-09 07:01 PM
    I'm hoping for plastic, Glass is heavy. If anyone here wears glasses you know what I'm talking about. The fact that the Storm has a glass screen probably accounts for the weight. It needs to go to a fat farm and drop a few pounds. I use Phantom Skinz with my 8330 and it doesn't obscure or make the screen hazy at all.
    If you think the storm is heavy perhaps you should go to the gym and work on those TOURanasoras arms of yours! Har de har har.

06-18-09 07:06 PM
    I think thats its a plastic screen.. least it doesnt feel like glass to me.. it is highly durable though.. we put the test units through **** and nary a screen damage. so keys in ya pocket will not be an issue..
    06-18-09 07:10 PM
    Exactly what I was thinking. If the screen is plastic you can buy the protectors. Not that big of a deal, Id rather spend 10 dollars rather than have glass which will weigh more than the plastic version. I think that the plastic would help it remain "competitive" with other devices in the weight category.
    Last edited by Maloneyyy; 06-18-09 at 07:26 PM.
    06-18-09 07:14 PM
    If you think the storm is heavy perhaps you should go to the gym and work on those TOURanasoras arms of yours! Har de har har.

Well at least both my arms are the same size "spanky"
    06-18-09 07:15 PM
    Well at least both my arms are the same size "spanky"
    Lol guilty as charged

06-18-09 07:30 PM

No one asked for your opinion either, but you felt inclined to post your own. You engage in your own rhetoric.

I believe that the screen is glass. It doesn't look like plastic from the review shots.
    06-18-09 07:58 PM
    High impact acrylic extrusion. Sounds fancy huh? Probably the same material they use to make auto headlamps.
    06-18-09 08:02 PM
    Considering the Bold and Curve were all plastic, it'll probably be plastic. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Storm was the only BB with a glass screen.
    06-18-09 08:02 PM
    I also would prefer glass, i hate a screen with a lot of scratches on it.
    06-18-09 08:45 PM
86 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD