I've seen a lot of threads about people questioning the Tours radio strength, and even comparing it to their old 8330. Some, even claim the Tour physically showing lower bars than the said 8330, but having the same service.

Just this past week, I was in a HUGE dead zone with my Tour. I was in an area of Silver Lake NY in the Adirondacks. Both devices (9630, 8330) showed absolutely no service. When driving into a bigger town, i.e. Lake Placid, the 8330 started to show signal maybe seconds before the 9630, both picked up and worked flawlessly. This was the same leaving a service area.

This happened in 4 different towns in the Adirondacks, same happenings every time as well

I think the curve MAY have held on to signal seconds longer, but there were also times when I had 1X that let me browse, and facebook while the 8330 would not.. I do believe our signal strength indicator is just showing differently, but infact we do have the same strength in our radios.

(This was only in NY however, so I can't speak for everybody)

Silver Lake ( Certain areas)
    Plattsburg ( Certain areas, but pretty well)
    AuSable (Chasm area no service)
    Lake placid ( The best!)

We had service on WhiteFace mountain as well, until we reached it's peak

Sadly, AT&T's network seemed dominate in the silverlake/ausable area while it allowed a few bars for voice, while we had nothing.
    08-29-09 09:20 AM
    Dude, I read that post and all and I agree, but I got to your signature and now I can't stop laughing!

Go aristile!
    08-29-09 09:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD