Good afternoon to my fellow crackberry users. I was hoping I could get some quick insight in regards to the Tour. I've been a blackberry user for about a year and a half now, and i'm currently using a storm. I'm about to get my second blackberry, a Tour to go along side my storm for work. I've been reading and looking around the forums for a few days, but I was hoping to get some more input for those of you who've been using the Tour a bit longer.

I've read a lot about the trackball issues, is this on all tour's? or is it a random problem (sort of like the Storm Screen problem when they first came out).

I plan on almost instantly updating to the 5.0 OS, is there any reason I should not do this, or any known problems with 5.0 and the Tour? I won't be using many apps on my BES berry but I want to make sure there are no hidden problems with the leak 5.0 I should be aware of?

From what i've read, and granted it's been limited, the only real compliant i've heard about is the trackball issue, are there any other intrusive and common issues?

Any help would be great, i'm hoping to have it in next week or the week after, just trying to see what to expect.
    11-08-09 05:19 PM
    The trackball and the lag generally are maddening issues with 4.7.1.40. I have a July-built Tour. I don't run leaked OS's, so I can't say if that would help. Those two issues and the short battery life are the only ones that bother me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-09 05:52 PM
    i think its all about luck.. i read about trackball issues and so many other issues going around, but my tour has been superb.. ive had my tour since early august and its yet to act up on me.. trackball or anything

i love my tour couldnt ask for a better phone
    11-08-09 06:01 PM
    Good afternoon to my fellow crackberry users. I was hoping I could get some quick insight in regards to the Tour. I've been a blackberry user for about a year and a half now, and i'm currently using a storm. I'm about to get my second blackberry, a Tour to go along side my storm for work. I've been reading and looking around the forums for a few days, but I was hoping to get some more input for those of you who've been using the Tour a bit longer.

I've read a lot about the trackball issues, is this on all tour's? or is it a random problem (sort of like the Storm Screen problem when they first came out).

I plan on almost instantly updating to the 5.0 OS, is there any reason I should not do this, or any known problems with 5.0 and the Tour? I won't be using many apps on my BES berry but I want to make sure there are no hidden problems with the leak 5.0 I should be aware of?

From what i've read, and granted it's been limited, the only real compliant i've heard about is the trackball issue, are there any other intrusive and common issues?

Any help would be great, i'm hoping to have it in next week or the week after, just trying to see what to expect.

I just got a Tour a couple weeks ago. It has been perfect in every way. I think all the trackball issues were all in the initial batch. Speed is good, Screen is great, no memory problems, etc. You will like having a real keyboard.

11-08-09 07:26 PM
    I think any new Tour now has pretty good chances of not having the trackball issues of the first batch. Mine has been great. 5.0 betas each have some good things and some bugs. Some of the benefits of the newer OS's are hard to quantify - memory might be managed a bit better, reboot times might be shorter, device might just seem quicker. Not enough benefits to me to load a 5.0 OS since I need several apps that won't run 5.0 yet. I don't care about threaded sms. Don't use BBM hardly ever. Don't care about fancy boot screen.
    11-08-09 07:40 PM
    I've had my BB Tour since it's release date of July 12. The only issue I've had is with the trackball. However, I opted to keep my original phone and change the trackball sensitivity settings. Since doing this, the trackball works much better.
    11-08-09 07:49 PM
    I have my horizontal sensitivity set to 90 and my vertical sensitivity set to 80. It hasn't helped. Would you mind sharing your settings?

11-08-09 08:05 PM
    I think any new Tour now has pretty good chances of not having the trackball issues of the first batch. Mine has been great. 5.0 betas each have some good things and some bugs. Some of the benefits of the newer OS's are hard to quantify - memory might be managed a bit better, reboot times might be shorter, device might just seem quicker. Not enough benefits to me to load a 5.0 OS since I need several apps that won't run 5.0 yet. I don't care about threaded sms. Don't use BBM hardly ever. Don't care about fancy boot screen.
    Is it the same list of apps that do and do not work as the storm? or is there a list somewhere of apps not working in 5.0? I guess really in the tour it's not going to be as much of an issue, 5.0 had some good upgrades for the storm that were nice, but i'm not sure if all of those would be around on the storm. I'm not sure how our BES activation works exactly, if I can just activate it anytime I want, or if I have to call our BES admins everytime I want to re-add it etc. I wanted to go with 5.0 pretty quick so I could have it on there before I added it on BES.
    11-08-09 09:56 PM
    No idea about Storm app issues. Check the Storm or Beta threads.

As for BES activation, if you work onsite or have vpn and DM installed, you can run DM after the new OS load and it should activate automatically.

And the apps I have that don't work on 5.0 are vlingo (loads, but deactivates itself after a few uses) and Viigo (scrolling issue).

11-08-09 10:49 PM
    I originally had the Storm, I received it as a Christmas gift last year and overall it just wasn't the phone for me so I switched to the Tour. I actually bought a brand new Tour off of Ebay about 3 months ago and it has been great. I love this phone.

I am currently running on the latest 5.0 OS and I have yet to have an issue with it. Its been amazing, internet is fast, the new SMS organization is probably the coolest thing for me, GPS is faster, Email downloads faster (even big files) and I have found it to be easier to text on the Tour than the Storm (most people would probably agree). As for the camera and video, there really isnt much of a difference between that and the storm.

As for the trackball problems, it really is random. Like I said, I have had this phone for 3 months now and I haven't had a single trackball problem but my phone isn't part of the new "refurbished" phones that supposivley wont have these issues. So far I would say I'm lucky since a lot of people have reported problems with there trackball but it is just a random choice on what would happen if you got the Tour. I highly recommend you get the Tour, to me it has been the best Blackberry yet (but I haven't tried the new 9700) but still the Tour would be a great choice.
    11-09-09 12:03 AM
    I had the Tour since mid-August. I went through 3 of them to get a "good" one. First 2 were trackball issues. I went from Tour 1 to Tour 2 within a week, so it may have been a timing issue. The earlier ones seemed to have the majority of the trackball issues.

The third was a loose battery door (annoying, but doesn't hinder use. You can feel the battery door slip down a bit when you hold it) and also had a lot of screen ripple. I had to talk my way into getting that one replaced.

Tour number 4 is very solid. I haven't had any issues with it and I think the trackball issues with the newer Tours are few and far between. I had some lagging not too long ago, right after I installed a new theme. I deleted a few apps and themes that I didn't use often enough to keep, then deleted my mailbox. No more lagging. I'm a pleased Tour user. Happy cell shopping.
    11-09-09 01:06 AM
    I have my horizontal sensitivity set to 90 and my vertical sensitivity set to 80. It hasn't helped. Would you mind sharing your settings?

On my 1st Tour (July), the 90/70 setting made it work OK. But it was too sensitive for my liking, and finally started degrading further (even after contiually cleaning it). So last month I got a replacement, and the scrollball works perfectly at the 70/70 setting after a month without cleaning it. I woulf recommend getting a replacement.

To the OP: the tour rocks! (especially the latest ones). And my battery lasts me all day with fairly high usage. I think quickpull (free app) at night helps (ensuring that I'm not leaving any battery hog apps running the next day).
    11-09-09 01:29 AM
    I run the 5.0 os and have for some time. I seem to recall this helping a good deal with the battery. The above poster who mentioned that many of the other benefits are fairly hard to quantify was correct. It mostly responds more quickly. I think I get fewer spinning clocks than before.

Concrete benefits are mostly about threaded SMS. That's really handy. Also, at some point 5.0 is supposed to get tabbed browsing. That made a brief appearance in one leak, and was quite handy...

I got a Tour about a week after it was released and I too had to get my trackball replaced. Now I've got a white trackball that works great. Wish it was black, but it works great....and like I said, I don't have battery issues, as long as I am aware of two programs I run that are battery hogs (googlemaps and blip) so I pay a bit of attention to whether they are running. Otherwise I use the phone all day long and have well over half a battery left at the end of the day.

11-09-09 01:50 AM
    I really appreciate all the input and information. It's really what i was hoping to hear. I think all new model berry's have issues when they were first released, I know the storm sure as **** did. I love my storm now, most of my problems are gone completely (little bit of lag in SMS typing sometimes, only complaint really). I had been thinking of trading it for a storm though when my contract renewal came out, I do miss a hardware keyboard sometimes, this tour i'll get for work will give me a chance to play and test it see what i think

Luckily, I won't be running a lot of apps on the one for work, Googlemaps, a weather app, sametime connect (god help me I hate lotus notes!!), maybe a couple more that will help at work but they get picky about it, and i'm not sure how tightly BES admins can monitor what's on your phone and what you're doing etc.

Again, thanks for all your input, Im excited to get my new Tour, if only they'd tell me a date...I hate waiting lol
    11-09-09 08:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD