I'm sure this has been beaten to death on other threads, but since I'm at work I don't have any surfing time and my brother has just ordered the Bold.

His ATT service does not offer the Tour.

Can someone point out the major differences between the two so I don't have to read through each BB review. I don't know anything about the Bold except I know my Slingmobile will work with it and it no longer works with my Tour after the 5.0 update.

Any other differences?

Thx
    05-04-10 09:29 AM
    I'm assuming you're talking about the Bold 9700 and not the Bold 9650 correct?
    05-04-10 10:24 AM
    I'm assuming you're talking about the Bold 9700 and not the Bold 9650 correct?
    Yes, I called him but he's not around but when I spoke to him he said it did not have a trackball so I'm guessing it's which ever is the newest model that ATT offers. He said he had to pay like $199 with a 2 year contract.

He said it has Wifi too!
    05-04-10 11:00 AM
    Why not just go to the website and compare the phones. Some simple searching would have got an answer a lot faster than this thread.

Comparing the 9630, 9700 (ATT), and 9650 (New for Verizon and Sprint)

BlackBerry - BlackBerry | Wireless Handheld Devices, Software & Services from Research In Motion (RIM)
    05-04-10 11:22 AM
    Other than the typical feature/functionality, voice services with AT&T is crap. My first BB was with AT&T and lasted 4 days. Never ever will I go back. They have issues with not only the voice but txt messgs as well. Makes it hard to enjoy the phone not to mention the function which you are purchasing it for - communication!
    05-04-10 12:54 PM
    Why not just go to the website and compare the phones. Some simple searching would have got an answer a lot faster than this thread.

Comparing the 9630, 9700 (ATT), and 9650 (New for Verizon and Sprint)

BlackBerry - BlackBerry | Wireless Handheld Devices, Software & Services from Research In Motion (RIM)

Well, maybe I worded it wrong. I did not think to look on ATT's site for comparison because "they don't offer the Tour"!

When the Tour did their 5.0 update I saw a lot of whiners complaining and threatening to go back to their Bold's.

So I was just wondering what that phone has going for it over the Tour. I went with the Tour myself because I'm on corp plan. They were offering the bold and similar for free but from the reviews I read at the Tours inception the Tour was the BB of choice other than the lack of WiFi which most of us with unlimited plans don't need anyway.

So that was the point of this thread I wanted some hands on feedback. Marketing BB comparisons are useless to me.

I have a lot of clients and many when they see me using my Tour ask me which is BB is best.

I figure when the Tour II comes out it will have Wifi and no trackball anyway so I still see no reason to go backwards to the Bold.

So as you can see I can't have this this type of hands on user opinion with a side by side comparison web page.

I don't know why BB has to have so many models anyway that are so similar.
    Not that I am a fan of the iphone but Apple seems to be doing pretty good with one model so far. BB should cut their models but they do it to offer exclusivity to the various carriers.

That is all going to blow up on them in the near future as more Google type devices hit the market that can be used on any carrier . . .
    05-04-10 01:35 PM
    That link I posted was from blackberry.com. You can't really compare the 9630 and 9650 with the 9700 because they are different phones. The 9700 will only work on GSM networks (ATT and Tmobile) the 9630 and the new 9650 are for Verizon but also have a GSM radio in it. You can't get 3G speeds with those phones on GSM networks in the US though.

So the best BB is more dependent on what carrier it's on rather than the BB itself. I also want to say that the comparison link I posted for you is exactly what you should be looking at to find the differences between BB's. That isn't a "Marketing Comparison" it's specifications straight from the manufacturer (RIM). So those specs aren't "useless" to you. In fact, looking at those specs will tell you everything you asked in your OP.

I know you said you were busy at work, but if knowing the differences is that important to you then you should be looking at all info on these devices. Doing much more research too. The questions you asked have been answered and discussed to death on this forum. So the excuse "I'm too busy" isn't good enough for us to force feed you the answers. Do your own research and you might learn something that you thought you didn't need.

Finally, there is no "Best BB" it will always be a subjective answer. Also, those Google phones can't be used on "any" carrier either. The Nexus 1 will not work on Verizon or Sprint at this time. They would need to release a CDMA one to work on those carriers. I like that RIM has many devices available too. It gives us choices, not everybody loves a touchscreen phone.

Oh, and no such thing as the "Tour II" It's the Bold 9650.
    05-04-10 02:27 PM
    Both Bolds have better hardware. Just get the one for the carrier you like.
    05-04-10 05:25 PM
    That link I posted was from blackberry.com. if knowing the differences is that important to you then you should be looking at all info on these devices. Doing much more research too. The questions you asked have been answered and discussed to death on this forum. So the excuse "I'm too busy" isn't good enough for us to force feed you the answers. Do your own research and you might learn something that you thought you didn't need.Oh, and no such thing as the "Tour II" It's the Bold 9650.
    Thx for your reply, but no I do not want to be an expert on the Bold. I made my choice with VZ and when they got the Tour I jumped on it and couldn't be happpier after using many Palm based devices since their inception.

I asked for my Brother's behalf because he has no choice he has to use ATT because they don't offer the Tour.

I was just wondering why people become so enamored with the Bold so I was just trying to find out why when the Tour is also available to some of us on other carriers.

I don't go by reviews on these devices. Recently a client called me and said he just bought a Droid from VZ. I checked the reviews and many were glowing. This phone was so bad for him I told him unless he gets another phone I won't talk to him if he uses that Droid. He got a Tour the next day and it's been great since.

But the Bold seems popular with the techies I'm guessing because it was the BB of choice before the Tour came out.
    05-04-10 06:34 PM
    Both Bolds have better hardware. Just get the one for the carrier you like.
    It's not for me. I use VZ. It was for my Brother who is stuck with ATT.
    05-04-10 06:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD