according to VZW rep.

I went in to exchange some accessories out for my Storm and was asking the VZW rep about their supply of Tours on Monday. My wife has an 8330 now and I'm looking to get her a Tour pretty soon. I'm paraphrasing, but she said "Oh don't even waste your time, it's the same thing as her Curve."

I actually laughed in her face, then began listing off the many many ways she was wrong. When I was done, it was like I had introduced her to this all new amazing phone they were getting. I don't think she had a CLUE as to what she was talking about. I wouldn't normally post something as trivial as this, but this is the second VZW rep at two stores that has said this to me. Are they (not all) really that ignorant? Ugh.
    07-03-09 02:47 PM
    What do you bet if the Tour came with an additional button on the keypad next to the menu button, that had the twitter logo on it- which then launched twitter, this gal would have been really excited about the Tour and recommended it to you?
    07-03-09 02:51 PM
    Unfortunately, it appears that there is a deficit of knowledge regarding the Tour (in general) amongst VZW employees but I do not fault them. I attribute this to VZW management's poor communication planning. If their internal communications are as bad as their public communications, then it is no wonder that the employees do not have the information that they need to provide an acceptable level of customer service.
    07-03-09 02:52 PM
    Good let them be that way, I won't have to worry about them selling out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-03-09 03:28 PM
    truth is it may not seem like a good upgrade for some people..

but it surprises me that a rep would not want to sell the phone?
    07-03-09 03:33 PM
    it is essentially the same thing its just a little faster and a better screen world edition and a better camera that's it, it doesn't have wifi it doesn't do anything revolutionary or evolutionary so its going definitely be a pass situation for me. Plus I hate the keyboard and track ball, when i had a curve i had to replace it like 5 times. Waiting for the storm!
    07-03-09 05:01 PM
    It will only be worth upgrading for some. I'm sure many will just get it because then can regardless of the benifits.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-03-09 05:06 PM
    absolutely true
    07-03-09 05:38 PM
    Yeah but you hae to think that if these people aren't researching new phones they won't really know anything. I have to tell my friends that new phones are coming out
    07-03-09 06:07 PM
    if i were paying 199 it might be worth it, but not at 489 MSRP for those of us that aren't eligible for upgrade at this time...not so much.
    07-03-09 06:22 PM
    It is all preference. If some one travels abroad then yes, it's worth upgrading to. If they are a gadget junkie then of course its woth it. If they are satified with the features of the Curve then not woth it.
    Now everyone has to understand that a marjority of these reps aren't members of Crackberry or read BGR or Engadget, so they are not focused on just one phone. Just my 2 cents.
    07-03-09 06:31 PM
    I think very few phones are worth the full retail price tag...iPhone being the one exception to the rule since an iPod Touch is worth every penny, imo.

As for me, the $199.99 price tag to move back to Verizon's AWESOME Network and have a nice phone along with it is a STEAL
    07-03-09 06:36 PM
    better camera
    higher resolution screen
    larger screen
    faster processor
    improved keyboard
    slicker look and styling
    world phone
    ability to upgrade to OS 5.0 when it is released
    more available memory/RAM

...yeah, it's the same as the curve (dripping with sarcasm)
    07-03-09 07:31 PM
    better camera
    higher resolution screen
    larger screen
    faster processor
    improved keyboard
    slicker look and styling
    world phone

ditto
    07-03-09 07:38 PM
    if you have a sprint blackberry curve yeah you should upgrade because certain curve can't send pic message which is sad but its basically the same if your buying a new phone for looks your a moron. Plus the keyboard sucks buttons all close together I like the curve buttons better but storm works perfectly fine waiting for the storm 2
    Last edited by stayfly; 07-03-09 at 07:47 PM.
    07-03-09 07:44 PM
    truth is it may not seem like a good upgrade for some people..

but it surprises me that a rep would not want to sell the phone?
    Here is why...

These are the main categories that reps numbers are based on... New customers, Renewing customers that are eligible for 2 yr pricing, data (data added, if you already have a blackberry and get another it doesnt help their data numbers..) and accessories/phone sold. Reps do not get paid on the phone that is sold. You could buy a tour full retail or get the cheapest phone, there is no impact on the reps pocket.

Now, think about it. Most people that drop over $500 on a phone... how many of them are thinking about spending an extra $60+ on accessories? not many. So then, the rep adds 1 phone to their total phones, and no accessories, meaning their ATR (accessory take rate AKA acc. per phone) falls. Doesnt impact their data because none is being freshly added, and doesnt count as a contract. All it really ends up doing is hurting their numbers.

Hope this clears things up? feel free to ask any more Q's
    07-03-09 07:51 PM
    I think its going to be a great device and so worth the upgrade.
    07-03-09 08:11 PM
    Doesn't suprise me regarding Verizon reps, not in the least.(My experience)

To say the Tour isn't a worth upgrade is completely and utterly incorrect! Especially if upgrading from an 8830. The addition of quadband EDGE and UMTS along with the memory, processor, and screen is enough. There's plenty more, but this is truly a WE in comparison to the older model. Sounds like some reps need to do their homework!
    07-03-09 08:23 PM
    Here is why...

These are the main categories that reps numbers are based on... New customers, Renewing customers that are eligible for 2 yr pricing, data (data added, if you already have a blackberry and get another it doesnt help their data numbers..) and accessories/phone sold. Reps do not get paid on the phone that is sold. You could buy a tour full retail or get the cheapest phone, there is no impact on the reps pocket.

Now, think about it. Most people that drop over $500 on a phone... how many of them are thinking about spending an extra $60+ on accessories? not many. So then, the rep adds 1 phone to their total phones, and no accessories, meaning their ATR (accessory take rate AKA acc. per phone) falls. Doesnt impact their data because none is being freshly added, and doesnt count as a contract. All it really ends up doing is hurting their numbers.

Hope this clears things up? feel free to ask any more Q's

I think I am a bit differen't because I was already aware of this situation from a earlier post I appreciate the incite but because I am aware of that I am willing to get accessories as well. I do not need a car charger but at least a case and I have even been thinking about grabbing the 16gb card right there as well if they have it..

The truth is if the rep/manager whoever is friendly to me I want to in turn be friendly to them if they are not friendly to me whats the push for me to be friendly in return.

I am not a typical customer who thinks I am OWED something but I am a firm believer in treat people how you wish to be treated.

I think some people on here may have had poor experiences at verizon but thats not necessarily verizon as a company but possibly the specific person they interacted with. In retail of any sort these people exist as there just humans like any of us some can have a bad day some can have a good day but truth is you can learn a ton about a person on how they react when it rains outside

The reps at my local store have always been very respectful to me and thats why I want to go that extra mile.

I hope others do the same
    07-03-09 08:26 PM
    When I originally tried to upgrade to the Tour via the web, I called verizon internet help to try and get it resolved. I said I was calling about the Tour. The rep kinda gave me an attitude and said "The Tour? (attitude)" -pause- "Yes, The Tour, is there a problem?" Rep-"The Tour hasn't been released and their is no release date for it currently (attitude)." Me- "umm. Your the Internet division of Verizon and you don't even know that you can pre order the Tour today?" Rep-"Let me transfer you." She transferred me to the main verizon menu.... Unreal how clueless some of these reps can be.
    07-03-09 08:30 PM
    I think I am a bit differen't because I was already aware of this situation from a earlier post I appreciate the incite but because I am aware of that I am willing to get accessories as well. I do not need a car charger but at least a case and I have even been thinking about grabbing the 16gb card right there as well if they have it..

The truth is if the rep/manager whoever is friendly to me I want to in turn be friendly to them if they are not friendly to me whats the push for me to be friendly in return.

I am not a typical customer who thinks I am OWED something but I am a firm believer in treat people how you wish to be treated.

I think some people on here may have had poor experiences at verizon but thats not necessarily verizon as a company but possibly the specific person they interacted with. In retail of any sort these people exist as there just humans like any of us some can have a bad day some can have a good day but truth is you can learn a ton about a person on how they react when it rains outside

The reps at my local store have always been very respectful to me and thats why I want to go that extra mile.

I hope others do the same
    I have read a few of your posts and seems like you are a customer I would like

If you are buying full retail, here is the best thing you could do to help the store/rep out... If you buy it online, then you can go in for the accessories... No phones, but getting accessories increases ATR a bit. Or, and this is what i do every now and then, see if you can get the 1 yr pricing on the phone. Say you will make up the difference in accessories, high end bluetooth, mem card, the works. (would need manager's approval for that). But then you end up paying a little less, and get the rep about $200 in accessories. Everyone wins
    07-03-09 08:32 PM
    better camera
    higher resolution screen
    larger screen
    faster processor
    improved keyboard
    slicker look and styling
    world phone

A'yup. Don't forget real GPS!
    07-03-09 08:41 PM
    I've got an 8900 (same as Tour with WiFi for the most part) and an 8320 in my house. The biggest noticeable diff is the screen resolution. You see it right away and every time you use it. Everything looks way better, like Hidef TV. That's what I'd sell if I were a rep. That and the camera. Every pic you take looks way better on that screen and the autofocus is different than the Curve. The next big thing is more memory, but that's hard to show a customer unless they use it awhile. I notice it over the Curve the way stuff loads faster (pix) but in a store who can tell? The keyboards are different but the Curve's is excellent. I have GPS, I don't know if the 8330 has that but I use it. That's about it as far as differences go IMO. I'd be selling the screen if I were there.
    07-03-09 08:48 PM
    better camera
    higher resolution screen
    larger screen
    faster processor
    improved keyboard
    slicker look and styling
    world phone

\Mmmm, sounds sexy.
    07-03-09 09:36 PM
    it is essentially the same thing its just a little faster and a better screen world edition and a better camera that's it, it doesn't have wifi it doesn't do anything revolutionary or evolutionary so its going definitely be a pass situation for me. Plus I hate the keyboard and track ball, when i had a curve i had to replace it like 5 times. Waiting for the storm!

1)
    8830 has an ARM 9 processor running at 225 MHz
    8330 has a Qualcomm MSM6550 running at 225 MHz
    9630 has a Qualcomm processor running at 528 MHz

303 MHz difference doesn't seem "slight" to me.

2)
    8830 didn't have a camera... so... um... anything is better.
    8330 camera: 2.0 mp
    9630 camera: 3.2 mp

In comparison to 8330, not much of a mp bump, but it's autofocus and the quality coming out of the test units has been great compared to the 8330.

3)
    8830 has a screen resolution of 320 x 240 pixels
    8330 has a screen resolution of 320 x 240 pixels
    9620 has a screen resolution of 480 x 360 pixels

HVGA works for me!

Need I go on?

**EDIT - 8330 added as well...**
    Last edited by vertig0gitrev; 07-03-09 at 10:30 PM.
    07-03-09 10:19 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD