I've searched this topic and cant seem to find a straight answer when it comes to the mail in rebate. If I buy the Tour under one line on a family share and then switch the ESN to another line on the plan, will they really deny the mail in rebate when I send it in (if I do it under 30 days)? That seems weird since if I do order it online, get the instant rebate, there are no issues. Does anyone have some deeper insight into this?

Thanks
    07-05-09 02:29 PM
    I don't really know but if I were you, I'd do the pre-order and not even mess with the rebate. That way you know you won't be running circles if it comes down to it.
    07-05-09 02:33 PM
    Most of the time if you don't wait 30 days to do the swap they will deny it. If you don't want to worry about it then just buy it online to be safe
    I agree, switch it in under 30 days and they will likely deny it. I don't see how ordering it online is going to change that.
    07-05-09 02:57 PM
    they will not deny it...as an employee at vzw i can tell u that its called an alternate upgrade. using other upgrades and swapping esn is common practice and accepted by vzw and our rebate company.

they go off esn. send in the bar code matching the esn purchased and on the rebate form and the number doesnt matter.
    07-05-09 07:43 PM
    Thanks. Now all I have to do is actually get the phone since I cant preorder. On another note, I was told VZ corp stores charge the $35 activation fee but if you reference that on VZW.com that it is free activation, they will waive it. Is that true?
    07-05-09 08:32 PM
    some stores cant match online, some will. its up to the manager. but if its an upgrade there is no activation fee. thats new customer only.

if you are doing an early upgrade there is a $20 fee, but thats waived if your VIP. (act fee on add a lines is also waived if VIP)
    07-05-09 09:32 PM
    i did an upgrade on a pearl and switched it to one of my other lines that same day and did not have a problem getting my rebate
    07-05-09 10:35 PM
    Re the MIR, it is my understanding you'll get a Visa card with the rebate amount on it. You're not required to use it on your VZW account, but can do so. It should be valid anywhere Visa is accepted.
    07-07-09 03:21 PM
    Re the MIR, it is my understanding you'll get a Visa card with the rebate amount on it. You're not required to use it on your VZW account, but can do so. It should be valid anywhere Visa is accepted.
    You should go back a read the OP's post.

They were asking if they would void the rebate because he switched the number on the phone. nothing to do with where it can be used...
    07-07-09 03:42 PM
    Apologies...didn't understand the question. I thought once the upgrade went through and the rebate was in the system, it didn't matter what you did with the phone.
    07-07-09 04:36 PM
    They will not deny it. I have 3 lines under my account. I ordered the storm online under my secondary line with the instant $70 off. Once I received the phone, I didn't even activate it under the secondary line. I went straight to activating it under my primary. They didn't give me any trouble at all. But then again I have 3 blackberries under my account.
    07-07-09 04:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD