I had an old Curve faceplate lying around and decided to "sacrifice" it in order to compare it directly to the Tour's Keyboard.

First thing to know.... the Tour is wider than the Curve (2.44" vs 2.4").

I cut the bottom of the Curve Faceplate off so it lay better on the Tour's keyboard.

I turned the Curve keyboard upside down so it lie better on the Tour's keyboard. So things are backwards, but you can still see how the keyboards compare.

Curve users... give the Tour's keyboard a chance and dont be fooled by what you perceive to be a "cramped" keyboard. The Tour's keyboard is different... but I am sure you will like it after a couple of days.

To me... the keyboards are basically the same. The Curve's keyboard gives the illusion its wider. If it is wider... its so slight, I dont think its really a factor.

What is different between the two is tactile feedback... and to me the Tour's keyboard is superior to the Curve's.
    07-16-09 11:24 AM
    Haha, sweet find! I like the feel of the Tour's keyboard much better, and the keys being a bit bigger definitely make it easier. The only reason the Curve's keyboard is "wider" is because the buttons are tiny as hel!.
    07-16-09 11:43 AM
    I was surprised when I fist saw how small the keys on the Tour really are. But the raised ridges and the push feel really make it easy to get used to and overall faster and more accurate over the Curve.

I hated how the keys were all one piece on the Curve and would move from side to side when pressed. But the Curve had the best keys of its own time.

Nice overlay idea!
    07-16-09 11:48 AM
    Yeah I'm def liking the tours keyboard better than the curves. It doesn't feel cramped at all to me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-09 11:51 AM
    Nice I sure like the new keys myself

07-16-09 11:51 AM
    The Tour has the best keyboard I have used. I am still keeping my Curve for a backup phone.
    07-16-09 12:35 PM
    As good as people claim the tours keyboard is, the bolds is much better imo. Atleast for people with larger hands. My hands arent cramped on the bold. To bad a new bb device with the bold size isnt available at verizon..
    07-16-09 12:37 PM
    Since the curve had the spaces between the letters, it was easier to keep your finger on only one letter. The curve was just easier to 'feel' around. The tour can be the same way but you need to learn to not apply so much finger to the key because of the shape of the key.

After a while i'm sure i'll be used to it just like I was the Curve.

And any keyboard beats a touchscreen anyday.
    07-16-09 12:42 PM
    As good as people claim the tours keyboard is, the bolds is much better imo. Atleast for people with larger hands. My hands arent cramped on the bold. To bad a new bb device with the bold size isnt available at verizon..
    Had Bold last year.... agreed, the keyboard is a pleasure to use, but I like the overall size of the Tour more. In your situation I can see your preference.
    07-16-09 12:46 PM
    Nice little experiment you did there. I, myself, am still getting acustomed to the Tour's keyboard. I had the Curve before my Storm (shudder) and I was really flying on it. With time, I am sure I will be flying on the Tour keyboard, as well. It is really, very nice!
    07-16-09 12:55 PM
    It definitely takes a bit of time to get used to the Tour keyboard coming from a curve like others have said, but now I don't want to go back. I also like how quiet the Tour keyboard is. Definitely don't miss the clicking of my curve's keys.
    07-16-09 01:31 PM
    I have had the Tour for 4 days and the keyboard I definitely dislike. I do not think that I will be as fast on the Tour as I was on the Curve.
    07-29-09 04:40 PM
    I'm alot faster on the tour than I was on the curve. I love the tours keyboard.. Just feels more comfortable
    07-29-09 04:45 PM
    I'm a lot faster on the Tour as well. Course this is my first blackberry.
    07-29-09 04:50 PM
    I agree... I'm actually faster with the Tour after a couple weeks.... And I don't miss the popping sound that the Curve makes when your typing fast.
    07-29-09 04:52 PM
    I absolutely love my tour keyboard... I was a fan of the curve, but I think I like the tour keyboard more

07-29-09 05:02 PM
    I am absolutely about to get rid of my Tour because of my inability to type on the Tour. I make so many errors and it's not b/c of the spacing; it's b/c of the sloped keys and the ridges. It's like I can't ever get a firm grip to push on the keys. I have had the Tour for about 5 days. Can someone shed some light as to whether i will really adapt? It's like my thumbs keep sliding off the keys and it's frustrating. I could absolutely fly on the curve. I think that BB overthought things and overengineered this time. But the looks of the phone are amazing.
    Last edited by pufftissue; 07-29-09 at 05:54 PM.
    07-29-09 05:48 PM
    Huge fan of the Tour Keyboard here. Huge improvement over the 8830 and especially the 8330.

I am probably one of very few in this category, but I do with the Tour was the same size as the Bold. That keyboard sure is roomy.
    07-29-09 06:07 PM
    Yeah I'm def liking the tours keyboard better than the curves. It doesn't feel cramped at all to me.

yep same hear i can text email so much faster on the tour then the curve
    07-29-09 06:19 PM
    The only thing I like better about the Curve is the larger 'shift' keys. When I want to do a leftshift+alt+h, it's a PITA on the Tour (at least I haven't figured out an easy way), while it was a snap on the Curve. Otherwise, I much prefer the Tour keyboard.
    07-29-09 06:27 PM
    Pufftissue, I have to say that it took me a few days to get used to the Tour keyboard. The first few days my typing speed was less than half what it was on the Curve. Now, I would never want to go back. Give it some time--and don't overthink it. Just 'push' the keys, they respond quite willingly and don't require as much pressure as the Curve.
    07-29-09 06:30 PM
    i had problems with my curves keyboard(pressing multiple buttons at once) the tour i can really type faster and more accurately.... my .02
    07-29-09 06:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD