I took the $30 per month tethering plan...but have no idea how to make it work. Can anybody point me to some directions?

Thanks in advance...
    07-12-09 09:28 PM
    Hello! I work for vzw....the vzam(verizon access manager) software wasn't ready for mass production for the tour at release...sorry....but there should have been a slip with instructions on how to get it, if not go to VZAccess Manager and download the tour(9630) access manager software once installed on desired pc or mac run the program and follow the instructions ...you'll want to select wwan device only unless you expect to use yours computers wifi as well then select fata cable tethered device and it will direct you through the rest....also make sure your desktop manager software is installed with your devices drivers(on dm cd) also for a verbal walkthrough call tech support...hope that helps

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-09 09:37 PM
    I took the $30 per month tethering plan...but have no idea how to make it work. Can anybody point me to some directions?
    You'll need to download and install the VZAccess Manager software. You can get it here: VZAccess Manager. Click on "download now" and then scroll down to the PDA section and click the version for the Tour. It uses a new version (7.0.4). Connect your phone (usb cable normally but you could also use Bluetooth) and then run the program. I think it will automatically detect the phone but if not, use the "detect phone" button. I think you'll be able to follow along to get it running but if you need more help, let us know.

- James
    07-12-09 09:42 PM
    2 Followup Questions:

-I currently have wireless USB card from Verizon that uses the access Manager. Do I need another version or will that do?
    -Does it run wirelessly(bluetooth) or do I need to connect it via the cable.

Thank in advance!!!
    07-12-09 09:42 PM
    it will work either way but bluetooth will be slower and use more power
    07-12-09 09:49 PM
    Hello! I work for vzw....the vzam(verizon access manager) software wasn't ready for mass production for the tour at release...sorry....but there should have been a slip with instructions on how to get it, if not go to VZAccess Manager and download the tour(9630) access manager software once installed on desired pc or mac run the program and follow the instructions ...you'll want to select wwan device only unless you expect to use yours computers wifi as well then select fata cable tethered device and it will direct you through the rest....also make sure your desktop manager software is installed with your devices drivers(on dm cd) also for a verbal walkthrough call tech support...hope that helps

I spent almost an entire morning trying to find out how to tether a Mac to the new Tour, i found the answer but not on VZW.com. In fact one of the specifications for the Tour was that tethering only worked on PCs(via the vzw.com web page, i was able to find the answer as to how to make tethering work on a Mac and it turns out you don't need to install any software. The process is actually quite simple though you cannot tether using the usb cable it has to be over BlueTooth.
    So i was wondering gschaefer612 are you sure the software will work on OS X? Because it was made quite clear on VZW.com that you could not do so on Macs.
    07-12-09 10:04 PM
    Why is the tethering 30.00? It was only 15.00 with my 8703. I also asked, and they said it was only 15.00
    07-16-09 09:26 AM
    Why is the tethering 30.00? It was only 15.00 with my 8703. I also asked, and they said it was only 15.00
    I don't know if they switched it, but it is definitely 30$ extra a month now.
    07-16-09 09:31 AM
    You should try Teatherberry. One time fee of 30 (or 40) and all the same teathering goodness. NO MONTHLY fee. Works on the tour. And if you upgrade your BlackBerry there is no new few.

Peace'
    Tm

07-16-09 09:57 AM
    Are you able to use the phone while tethered?

ie. would I have to stop a DL or interupt a session to take a call?
    07-16-09 10:01 AM
    You should try Teatherberry. One time fee of 30 (or 40) and all the same teathering goodness. NO MONTHLY fee. Works on the tour. And if you upgrade your BlackBerry there is no new few.

Peace'
    Tm

I've heard a few nightmare stories about using tetherberry... people end up with huge data bills!
    07-16-09 10:07 AM
    I spent almost an entire morning trying to find out how to tether a Mac to the new Tour, i found the answer but not on VZW.com. In fact one of the specifications for the Tour was that tethering only worked on PCs(via the vzw.com web page, i was able to find the answer as to how to make tethering work on a Mac and it turns out you don't need to install any software. The process is actually quite simple though you cannot tether using the usb cable it has to be over BlueTooth.
    So i was wondering gschaefer612 are you sure the software will work on OS X? Because it was made quite clear on VZW.com that you could not do so on Macs.
    I tried getting my Tour to tether over BT with my Mac but couldn't get it to work. Could you please share how you got it to work? I had a Bold on ATT before and found instructions and it worked great, but for whatever reason, can't on Sprint.
    07-16-09 10:19 AM
    It's whatever adds up to $60.

Voice plan + $30 BIS option + $30 tethering option = $60 in data options

or

Voice plan + $45 BES option + $15 tethering option = $60 in data options

or

Bundled (Voice+BES) blackberry plan + $15 tethering option.
    07-16-09 10:49 AM
    I've heard a few nightmare stories about using tetherberry... people end up with huge data bills!
    well with Verizon you get unlimited Data so it's no problem. However, the Canadian carriers are a different story...

Peace,
    Tm
    07-16-09 11:09 AM
    Are you able to use the phone while tethered?

ie. would I have to stop a DL or interupt a session to take a call?
    I'm not sure, haven't tired it yet on my tour. I know that getting a call while my pearl was teathered sent the phone into a diabetic comma.
    Peace,
    Tm
    07-16-09 11:12 AM
    thats right VZAM does not support BB on Macs, i dont know jack about Macs but i was able to tether over bluetooth for a customers 8830. first you need to setup a bluetooth connection to the Mac, once its connected you need to setup an Internet Connection. the user name is gonna be "your [email protected]", the PW is "vzw" and the dial up number is "#777". if all goes well there should be an icon for your BB next to Airport, disable Airport and connect with the BB. the icon should have a scrolling message "dialing" then "connected" and the LED indicator on your BB should be blinking blue.
    07-16-09 11:38 AM
    This is the directions I followed in order to get my Sprint Tour tethered to my Mac:

Zsoldier's Tech Blog: Macbook Pro OSX 10.5.x Sprint Blackberry 8830 Data Tethering
    07-16-09 12:03 PM
    I tried getting my Tour to tether over BT with my Mac but couldn't get it to work. Could you please share how you got it to work? I had a Bold on ATT before and found instructions and it worked great, but for whatever reason, can't on Sprint.
    From what i understand Sprint has to activate your tethering capabilities in order for it to work on their network. On Verizon you can do it without buying the $30 broadband mobile connect service but its at your own risk, if VZ were to find out I'm sure they would have something to say about it, to put it nicely.
    07-16-09 01:03 PM
    From what i understand Sprint has to activate your tethering capabilities in order for it to work on their network. On Verizon you can do it without buying the $30 broadband mobile connect service but its at your own risk, if VZ were to find out I'm sure they would have something to say about it, to put it nicely.
    This is wrong, just follow the directions I posted above.

I tether with Sprint w/o having to add anything to my account.
    07-16-09 01:09 PM
    For those using VZAccess manager and tethering ... I don't have that or any other software installed to tether via bluetooth. Added tethering yesterday to my plan and in 5 minutes I was online.

Windows 7 + BlueTooth dial-up connection FTW.
    07-16-09 01:19 PM
    ok well, if i would like to tether to verizon w/o paying for the additional data surcharge, do i still have to use verizon access manager if i want to use a usb cable?

and for those noobs out there like myself that are new to the crackberry community, i have looked for some step by step instructions on how to do a bt 2.0 tether and i have not found any luck in the forums by "using the search function."

any pointers for the right direction?
    07-23-09 02:14 AM
    well with Verizon you get unlimited Data so it's no problem. However, the Canadian carriers are a different story...

Peace,
    Tm

That is just flat wrong. Load up tetherberry and burn through about 10GB's and see what happens. At the minimum they are going to cut your data off, at the maximum you are going to end up with a massive, and I mean massive, bill. If you go over 5GB's you will pay dearly.
    07-23-09 05:51 AM
    It sounds like there are differences between Sprint tethering and VZW tethering. In order not to confuse any new people, perhaps this thread should be split accordingly?

I have used VZW tethering via USB to a Windows XP laptop with the Access Manager software on my 8830 and now with my Tour. I have the $15/month tethering option on my plan. I already had the Access Manager software installed on my laptop so I did not download the new version. It worked fine with the Tour. I was not aware that you could tether to VZW over BlueTooth but I'm not sure why you would want to constrict your bandwidth.

07-23-09 06:08 AM
    I was not aware that you could tether to VZW over BlueTooth but I'm not sure why you would want to constrict your bandwidth.

Its not that people want to constrict bandwidth, but I don't want to remember to carry a data cable with me every time I want to use the DUN so bluetooth is more convenient. I don't use my phone as modem for heavy surfing, but when wifi isn't available. Maybe just once or twice a month so its very convenient for myself. I don't go to youtube or streaming or download files, so it won't make a difference to me.
    07-23-09 09:58 AM
    With Sprint and Verizon, you can safely tether using Tetherberry (without paying extra) if your use is limited to email and some browsing. It's not useful as an ISP replacement, but it is useful for browsing the web on your PC while you're on the road. Under no circumstances should you use it to download gigabytes of files or stream video; if you do that, you'll either be hit with a massive bill or they'll cancel your service.
    07-24-09 01:40 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD