I did not see it mentioned but does the excess humidity cause the moisture stickers to change color? If not I would bring it in and have it replaced under warranty.
    Yes it does, and no its not covered by any warranty by ANY manufacturer.. Check your manuals.

The rice trick lol I would love to see Mythbusters take 2 phones, Blackberries actually, and drop them both in water and put one in a bag of rice and have one air dry and see if they both work after.

Lmao
    See my last post.. Rice only works after the catalyst for the damage is removed ASAP (The Battery) otherwise its as good as sticking your phone in a bucket of water while the charger is still plugged in and then wondering why it doesnt work anymore.!
    12-30-09 08:12 PM
    I must have missed the part where I was expecting any sympathy or pity* from you? I was curious as to a possible fix, because what is going on with my phone doesn't make any sense. It has nothing to do with responsible drinking, so please don't attempt to lecture me about it. It's not as if I was driving intoxicated and holding it out my door dragging it through puddles, so calm down. Obviously whatever occurs with the phone is my fault, when did I say it wasn't? It doesn't make sense to me how the phone works completely fine other than these 3 simple things. The trackball works all the time, the keys work all the time with these exceptions. Thank you for your concern, though, and I'll be sure to attend the next BB A.A. class.
    Ok because you have some slight problems you seem to think they may be easily fixed. This might not be the case. However your phone is obviously showing signs of moisture damage that both RIM and your carrier will not cover.

Now this isn't the end of the world if you are not afraid to open your phone. The phones warranty is done right now, so you really have nothing to lose. Get some Torx Screw Drivers, these are pretty good.

Next get yourself a stiff antistatic nylon brush and some 99% pure alcohol, this is the stuff we use at work.

Take the whole thing apart
    and look for signs of corrosion on any connectors. The keypad will look like a white sticker, warm it up with a hair dryer and remove it. Clean all the contacts with the alcohol and brush. Check all connections that you can see for corrosion on the board, if you see any clean it with the brush and alcohol. Corrosion usually looks like this but that is a bad case of it. It might be small and between some of the small components. if its under the metal Cans you cant get those off easily unless you are pretty dapper with a heat gun...

Oh handy hint, if you get fingerprints on your LCD, cover the screen with Scotch Tape (the milky plastic kind that you use for wrapping presents) and rub the tape over the screen. Remove the tape and all the fingerprints will be gone off the LCD.

Once its all cleaned, put it all back together again, turn it on and try it.. if it works, then great, if not... Do the insurance claim and get a new one..

Oh and before you do all this, backup your phone with the desktop manager.... Just in case that cleaning the corrosion actually KILLS the phone (yes I have seen that happen)!!! Good luck..
    Last edited by Cythrawl; 12-30-09 at 08:42 PM.
    12-30-09 08:29 PM
    I must have missed the part where I was expecting any sympathy or pity* from you? I was curious as to a possible fix, because what is going on with my phone doesn't make any sense. It has nothing to do with responsible drinking, so please don't attempt to lecture me about it. It's not as if I was driving intoxicated and holding it out my door dragging it through puddles, so calm down. Obviously whatever occurs with the phone is my fault, when did I say it wasn't? It doesn't make sense to me how the phone works completely fine other than these 3 simple things. The trackball works all the time, the keys work all the time with these exceptions. Thank you for your concern, though, and I'll be sure to attend the next BB A.A. class.
    I love how some people on this site feel the need to lecture or ridicule the op for something as stupid as this. I myself have done some stupid things to phones in my life, **** i have used my laptop in my Hot tub. still works. but that is why i buy the phone insurance. OP sorry your phone is wacky, but if you have insurance just get another one if it bugs you. if you can live with it, then go for it. I don't get why people have to act better than someone or ridicule someone for a simple question. All he was looking for was some help.
    12-30-09 09:00 PM
    Yes it does, and no its not covered by any warranty by ANY manufacturer.. Check your manuals.
    Check my manual for what? I asked if excessive humidity causes the sticker to change color indicating water damage. Then suggested that if the sticker is in its original color to try warranty. I know that after the sticker turns you are sol...

See my last post.. Rice only works after the catalyst for the damage is removed ASAP (The Battery) otherwise its as good as sticking your phone in a bucket of water while the charger is still plugged in and then wondering why it doesn't work anymore.!
    I saw your post about rice, and many others. My point was where is there documented scientific proof that rice will make a phone any better than just letting it dry in a warm environment?
    12-30-09 09:17 PM
    Check my manual for what? I asked if excessive humidity causes the sticker to change color indicating water damage. Then suggested that if the sticker is in its original color to try warranty. I know that after the sticker turns you are sol...
    Yes humidity will do it.. and it doesn't have to be excessive. if you live up here in the North Country in Winter, leaving your phone in a cold environment such as a car in below zero temps and bringing it into a heated house can trigger it. Its written in plain text in your warranty section of your manual. Hidden in all that mumbo jumbo.. Its there... Read it and see.

In warmer weather just even having it in your pocket while jogging can cause it. Biggest one I see is that the user will have the phone in the bathroom on the counter top while taking a shower. I see this every day. I work on phones 8 hrs a day fixing and repairing them. The sicker on the outside may be fine, however blackberries have them on the inside too. Chances are (about 90%) that the one inside will be tripped. Now RIM handles their own warranty with us, if they find after the fact that there is moisture damage inside the phone then the customer will get charged the full retail value of said phone if they got an advanced replacement. That can be up to 2 months after the exchange has been done and is made crystal clear to the customer before the exchange is done.. Is it worth that risk? $50 vs $499? I dont think so. If you suspect moisture or even know that it IS the case, never EVER go through your warranty... It will cost you a lot more in the long run! Use your insurance!

I saw your post about rice, and many others. My point was where is there documented scientific proof that rice will make a phone any better than just letting it dry in a warm environment?
    How to Dry Your Cell Phone - Save a Wet or Water-Logged Phone - Popular Mechanics

It is well known that dry uncooked rice is a desiccant. Its been known for longer than the Internet has been around. Silica Gel is better than Rice, but that isn't as easy to buy down at your local supermarket is it? Rice is a good cheap alternative. Here is an easy trick, get some plastic eggs y know the stuff that silly putty comes in. Drill some small holes in it and get the inside wet. Put one in a bowl of dry rice and cover it. The other leave on the table top. Come back to it in a few hours, I pretty much guarantee that the one in the rice will be much dryer than the other one. Its basic science.

However Rice or Silica Gel is no substitute to dis assembly and clean with alcohol. Not by a looooooong shot!
    Last edited by Cythrawl; 12-30-09 at 10:05 PM.
    12-30-09 09:59 PM
    pay the deductible and hope you have learned your lesson. Hot tubs do not mix well with any device. even the rain can ruin a device. I had an ENVTouch prior to my BB and it also stated in the manual to not use the phone outside in high humidity. hmmmmmm wonder why? I think this really applies with all devices and especially hot tubs or being in the bathroom ! water and electronics do not mix
    12-30-09 10:50 PM
    I came back to this thread because I was originally helping the guy out last night and I wanted to follow up on it, and man!!!...can't believe it turned out into a 2 page thread of fighting about insurance this and water that....all to only come back and read that the OP is still confused about why his phone doesn't work a certain way....lol...DUDE!!!! ITS GOT WATER DAMAGE!!! ITS NOT GONNA WORK THE SAME...LOLOLOL...man...he keeps saying he doesn't get it why he has to press the track ball this way, toss it in the air 3 times to charge it.....then do the tutsy roll to turn it off....(Yes I know I spelled it wrong...lol)...whoo!!!! Hey bro...let us know when sense gets knocked into ya and u get ur new Tour... ...lolol...
    12-30-09 10:56 PM
    I love how some people on this site feel the need to lecture or ridicule the op for something as stupid as this. I myself have done some stupid things to phones in my life, **** i have used my laptop in my Hot tub. still works. but that is why i buy the phone insurance. OP sorry your phone is wacky, but if you have insurance just get another one if it bugs you. if you can live with it, then go for it. I don't get why people have to act better than someone or ridicule someone for a simple question. All he was looking for was some help.
    Why don't you come out to Winchester's tonight and I'll explain it to you since you seem to not comprehend anything about personal responsibility or personal liabilty. I'll be the only asian there standing next to Shadow the DJ, you can't miss me. But just in case you can't tell, I'll the the only one wearing a shirt from Iraq that says:

Caution: Stay 100 meters back or you will be shot. in two different languages.

I'd LOVE to hear your reasoning on why you think insurance should cover stupidity.
    12-31-09 07:29 AM
    Ahahahahahahahaha....lol.....can I borrow that shirt?..... ...lolol
    12-31-09 11:15 AM
    I'd just like to update this thread, as I read another thread about water damage. My problem was any easy fix that the majority of morons in this thread, who could only ***** and moan about insurance, couldn't lend me assistance with. Just a heads up helljack6, you're a ******* tool.
    03-27-10 03:48 AM
    So what was the fix? Mustve missed it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-27-10 04:33 AM
    I'd like to know also, just as an fyi.

And the part about insurance? They don't ask you if you were negligent...they just replace the phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-27-10 04:54 AM
    I hate paying that insurance premium every month...but if ANYTHING goes wrong with the phone, it's a no fuss replacement (with a deductible). Who cares how this guy's damage happened?? Sh*t happens.

I had a user who dropped his new BB Pearl flip in a hot tub 2 days after he got it. The insurance covered it, no brainer.
    03-27-10 02:03 PM
    I hate paying that insurance premium every month...but if ANYTHING goes wrong with the phone, it's a no fuss replacement (with a deductible). Who cares how this guy's damage happened?? Sh*t happens.

I had a user who dropped his new BB Pearl flip in a hot tub 2 days after he got it. The insurance covered it, no brainer.
    That's why you have insurance. Actually with Verizon's new policies you need the insurance. They will no longer replace a busted phone in warranty for $50 or whatever the amount was.
    03-27-10 04:53 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD