Ok, I really like my new Tour.

The ONLY problem I am having is the headphone jack. It seems that the original headphones work fine. But when plugging in to the car it's a disaster. Connection goes in and out, Media player stops, etc.

What I've noticed is that the original 3.5mm plug has 4 connections (one added for mic) and the 3.5mm stereo cable is only 3 connections. ANY 3 connection stereo cord doesn't work. I've also noticed (unlike my curve or wifes pearl) that media player now shuts off when unplugging headset. It seems ANY slight movement of the 3 prong cord to my car stereo activates this.

This is frustrating and I am thinking of asking for a replacement, however I wonder if everyone is having this issue, and if the replacement will do the same.
    07-29-09 04:45 PM
    I bet I can solve your issue (and on my first post yet).

I had exactly the same problem you described letter for letter!

After I got my Tour I loaded some songs and plugged in my $200 Etymotic headset. I couldn't believe it. Touch it and it shuts down. Sound quality was awful.

So I tried plugging in my $50 Sennheiser headphones and it played perfect.

I compared both jacks and they are "exactly" alike.

Try this . . . take a pencil erase, if the eraser is not clean rub it with an emery board to clean it.

Note: I'm not sure of the rings you describe. Mine has two. Your car jack might be a different issue because of those rings and mating it to the Tour female jack. But give the eraser trick a shot!

Then take the eraser and rub the plug all over. Wipe the plug off with a clean towel and report back here what happens when you plug it back in now.

I think it removes the oxidation. Mine plays perfect now. Rubbing alcohol might work too but I find the eraser better.

Note: I'm not sure of the rings you describe. Both my jacks only have two rings. You might have another issue of the mating of the car jack with the Tours female jack because of those rings. But give the eraser trick a shot!
    Last edited by expidia; 07-29-09 at 06:18 PM.
    07-29-09 06:11 PM
    I have this issue. All my crappy earbuds work fine, but my Shure's don't work, they have the same problems stated above. Ill try the oxidation removal trick but I'm skeptical.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-09 06:24 PM
    When I got my Tour, my headphones didn't perfectly work - I had to pull them out a few millimeters for them to be detected. Essentially, I had to find a "sweet spot" that let the headphones work. Try that and see if it helps!
    07-29-09 06:40 PM
    I went to a Verizon store to try and deal with this issue, the answer i was given there was that blackberry made the headphone jack specific to their standards so that you could only use headphones that were engineered for BB, i think that was a bogus answer and frankly not to spark any large conspiracy theory but if you guys notice your icons that depict the audio out put (bottom right corner of media player) you will see that the signal for the all headphone jacks is weak and broken up i think they are shotty headphone jack inputs. It makes no sense to me that some headphones work and others don't i've seen several posts describing this problem but nobody really seems to pay it much attention.
    07-29-09 06:58 PM
    ...your icons that depict the audio out put (bottom right corner of media player) you will see that the signal for the all headphone jacks is weak and broken up...
    haha i noticed that too.

And i personally hadnt had any problems with the headphone jack like people are saying. I have been using headphones from a ipod, I think iPod touch or classic. And also tried the OEM ones. Both the ipod and OEM pushed all the way in to the click. And had not a single problem.

After reading that people are continuing to have problems, I tried another pair of ipod headphones. and these push in to the click, but I have to pull them out the millimeter that people are saying in order for it to work.
    07-29-09 07:14 PM
    Ive been waiting to see if someoneelse had headphone jack problems
    When I removed my headphones 3 different sets including stock the whole phone would go blank (screen & keyboard) had a problem with my usb port also exchanged and all is well
    07-29-09 07:18 PM
    I think if you have problems with the phone as a result of the jack, then i would say return it. Like tlgemxx says the screen/keyboard would go blank, thats clearly not right. But if its just a matter of your favorite headphones not working, I dont think that warrents a return. Just get a different pair. I just hope that the AUX cable i have in my car works..
    07-29-09 07:21 PM
    I have this issue. All my crappy earbuds work fine, but my Shure's don't work, they have the same problems stated above. Ill try the oxidation removal trick but I'm skeptical.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    See this thread for some more discussion about this.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/he...e-jack-265353/

I also had Shures not working, but I was able to work around the issue of my headphones not working by picking up one of these:
    Gold-Plated Volume Control Cable for Stereo Headphones - RadioShack.com
    07-29-09 09:13 PM
    Ok so I went to Sprint this afternoon and swapped my phone.

SAME JACK PROBLEM.......

Some jacks work some don't. Blackberry headset always works.

But hey my trackball is WAY better!
    07-29-09 10:04 PM
    I have the exact same problem, but with the headphones that came with the tour. I dont have another pair of headphones lying around. I just realized this last night trying to watch a movie in bed. I woke up this morning and did a search for headphones and found this post. I dont want to swap it out though cus I dont want any other issues that everyone keeps talking about. this sucks
    07-30-09 08:27 AM
    See this thread for some more discussion about this.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/he...e-jack-265353/

I also had Shures not working, but I was able to work around the issue of my headphones not working by picking up one of these:
    Gold-Plated Volume Control Cable for Stereo Headphones - RadioShack.com
    Thanks, that was going to be my next step, buying an "Extension" so the plug fits snugly, I'm glad it works. Hopefully I can find one without a volume control though, they seem to be more hassle than helpful.
    07-30-09 10:19 AM
    My sony earbuds have this problem.

The OEM headphones that came with the Tour work fine.
    The OEM headphones that come with my iPod Nano work fine too
    The OEM headphones that came with my SanDisk Sansa work fine too

I prefer earbuds so i'll have to find a set that works or do a work around like mentioned above.
    07-30-09 10:34 AM
    Ive been waiting to see if someoneelse had headphone jack problems
    When I removed my headphones 3 different sets including stock the whole phone would go blank (screen & keyboard) had a problem with my usb port also exchanged and all is well
    I had two phones not work with the Tour headphones (or phone jack). Funny thing is, the second Tour had worked, then not work, then work and not work again! I ordered another Tour which essentially made my Tour $100. So, despite the inconvenience of returning two devices, I got a great deal on my phone.
    07-30-09 06:20 PM
    Damn I assumed my headphone jack was fine but I was always using the stock headphones that came with the Tour. Time to try to my Shure e4c's.
    07-30-09 06:27 PM
    It seems to be a common manufacturing defect. My first phone was terrible. No headphones would work. I exchanged it and the second works perfectly with one pair, it will cut out if I wiggle a second pair, and will cut out if I breathe on a third pair. So the second one's better, but still not right.

I'm going to try cleaning the bad ones and see if it helps. If not I'll exchange it again. I'm certainly not putting up with a defective unit.
    07-30-09 06:48 PM
    it only works perfect with the BB headphones which are complete utter garbage because they are 4 pin

i tried to use a 3 pin 3.5mm mini jack for the aux jack in my truck and it didn't work..

i tried to use my Shure E4Cs and they dont work due to being 3 pin

then i tried my Shure MPA-3C which has 4 pins on the jack and a mic and then has a 3.5mm plug for any headphones you want so you can use it as a headset etc and it works flawlessly

blackberry just sucks at making a 3 pin 3.5mm compatible jack

for anyone with nice headphones buy the Shure MPA-3C
    07-30-09 06:54 PM
    Damn I assumed my headphone jack was fine but I was always using the stock headphones that came with the Tour. Time to try to my Shure e4c's.
    My Shure e4c's work just fine on the Tour. No problems whatsoever.

I actually might want to update that comment since I technically have SCL4s and not E4Cs.

My Shure I2C-Ms work fine also.
    Last edited by BootlegZani; 08-04-09 at 06:09 PM.
    08-04-09 06:02 PM
    I went to a Verizon store to try and deal with this issue, the answer i was given there was that blackberry made the headphone jack specific to their standards so that you could only use headphones that were engineered for BB, i think that was a bogus answer and frankly not to spark any large conspiracy theory but if you guys notice your icons that depict the audio out put (bottom right corner of media player) you will see that the signal for the all headphone jacks is weak and broken up i think they are shotty headphone jack inputs. It makes no sense to me that some headphones work and others don't i've seen several posts describing this problem but nobody really seems to pay it much attention.
    Hip boot time at the Verizon store!

I think the oxidation issue is it. It must detect headphones by seeing a short at the mike band position on the plug. That would be sensitive to poor contact.

Jim
    08-04-09 06:08 PM
    yup same problem bummer
    09-11-09 04:34 AM
    i think its an os problem, i have a storm and upon upgrading to 191/230 (leaked os') the headset stopped working when i go back they work again. i believe these leaked os' are made for the tour
    09-18-09 01:25 PM
    I love my tour. Recently my phone keeps thinking it is in headphone mode, nothing else is giving me problems. Pissed me off I went to Verizon and they told me to file a claim and replace my phone, saying it was water damage. The water damage happened three months ago, I know that is not the problem. Sorry just ranting a bit, does any one have any suggestions? I would like not to make a claim if I don't have to.
    11-03-09 06:03 PM
    I love my tour. Recently my phone keeps thinking it is in headphone mode, nothing else is giving me problems. Pissed me off I went to Verizon and they told me to file a claim and replace my phone, saying it was water damage. The water damage happened three months ago, I know that is not the problem. Sorry just ranting a bit, does any one have any suggestions? I would like not to make a claim if I don't have to.
    don't tell them about the water damage. if the indicator on the back shows water damage, then you're stuck. It voids your warranty and no matter what happens to your phone, the rep will always just say "water damage!" and shrug/convince you to get new phone.
    11-03-09 10:16 PM
    I had/have the same problem with the Tour and my Sennheisers. Got a replacement, still have the same problem, but not as frequently. My ears are too small to fit earbuds, so I'm not sure what to about this. I'll give the eraser thing a shot. Glad to hear I'm not the only one having an issue.
    11-03-09 10:19 PM
    Start playing some music and put the headphones in, pull them back out. Try that a few times. Also, turn off any special boost options (forget what they are called)
    11-03-09 11:28 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD