You can't add or subtract 1, 2, 3 or 5 hours from your normal time zone for domestic travel or a few more for international? If the time is what drops someone from an A rating a D that's a bit odd. Their OS is outdated, I'll give you that, but I'd say lack of time zone detection is the least of its problems.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/stuck-1x-data-265223/
    07-12-09 11:16 PM
    All they need to do is store the calendar events in GMT and then convert it for the local time. It would be very easy to do. I'm sure they've thought about and maybe it's a limitation of the email server.
    07-13-09 06:10 AM
    People can complain about anything. Give me a break and do some simple arithmetic.
    07-13-09 06:20 AM
    I simply don't get this at all...

1. I have travelled over 1 millions miles on business... and as soon as i leave, my watch is set to UTC.. period... I dont care what my phone or my computer say.. they are not watches.. I have NEVER had any issue related to time zone... shheesh.. after all there are only THREE in the usa..

2. if this *issue* is that bad for you and you like the pre, just hop to sprint and get it, or get some other phone, non-RIM from VZW.... thats your choice

3. If an airline pilot does not know what time zone he is in...then there are bigger issues here than RIM's os.
    07-13-09 07:05 AM
    I simply don't get this at all...

1. I have travelled over 1 millions miles on business... and as soon as i leave, my watch is set to UTC.. period... I dont care what my phone or my computer say.. they are not watches.. I have NEVER had any issue related to time zone... shheesh.. after all there are only THREE in the usa..

2. if this *issue* is that bad for you and you like the pre, just hop to sprint and get it, or get some other phone, non-RIM from VZW.... thats your choice

3. If an airline pilot does not know what time zone he is in...then there are bigger issues here than RIM's os.
    Well. Technically there are 6 time zones in the US....(Eastern, Central, Mountain, Pacific, Alaska, and Hawaii).

Other than that, I agree with the post 100%.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-09 07:12 AM
    Having to manually change the timezone is not that hard. Most people didn't have a blackberry 10 years ago. It was not hard at all to travel across US. It is all about automating as much as possible and making it as easy as possible.

A good design should have a good abstraction of underlying technologies. As an end user, I should not be bothered about rim server, or cell tower handover or which cell tower my phone connects to. It should be transparent to me. When I pick up the phone and dial a number, it connects to whomever I am calling. When I travel from one timezone to another, it should display the local time. Same thing. Shouldn't matter which cell tower I am connected to. The technology needed for that exists today. (GPS).

You now run into our battery limitations as well as Cell Service Limitations,

if your GPS is running all the time as well as your cell Radio so it can make sure you are being billed and getting the right time according to wear you are, your battery would last but an hour or 2, on standby!,
    When you pick up your phone, you DO get the person you want to talk to, The Time Zone issue should not be the phones responsibility, as your car does not auto correct, your watch does not auto correct, your Hand Held GPS does not Auto Correct, the only things that Auto Correct are phones, AND when phones started doing that, they did not contain all of your data, When you stay on/near a time zone for work, you DO NOT, want your phone jumping around from time to time depending on the side of the street you are on, if it has all your appointments in it.

that is just wrong!

but this debate will be a never ending one, as people want every feature under the sun, BUT also want long battery life in a small form factor. we are not technologically there yet. nor do service providers want you using data just to triangulate your location
    07-13-09 07:52 AM
    WOW,

Every one of you that is throwing crap my way needs to to go back and read my 1st thread....several times. I wrote that I accepted RIM's excuses for not auto-updating the time. Like I wrote, I do think that RIM could make the phone better by allowing the user the ability to show the CURRENT network time, along with the user set time, if the user wishes, on the home and/or clock page of the phone. That's it, period. As many have said, this is a long debated issue, and I think RIM should listen to it's customers. The technology is out there, they can do it (they kinda did it on the Storm). It would make the phone a better phone. They are leaders in the industry and need to make their product as user friendly as they can.

Can anyone really say they wouldn't want (not that you would actually use it) the OPTION of displaying the network time, along with the time you set in the phone on the home and/or clock page?

To clear up a few "minor issues" made by posters concerning my occupation.

If you have never done my job, you are no way qualified to comment about it. Your opinion is just that, an opinion, and has no merit. And no, I don't fly with my phone on. But I will use it on the ground if it will help me make a timely and safe decision (I'd bet you would prefer that) about my flight. It has been documented that a cockpit crew will make over 1000 safety related decisions during a 1 hr flight (that number goes way up if you throw bad weather and/or a mechanical issue in the mix). I need to have accurate information to help make those decisions. A reliable timepiece, like a BB that will display current network time on the home page would be a real asset for me.

I have contacted several CB programmers and all think the network display idea is great. Since RIM doesn't seem interested, maybe one of these programmers will develop an app.
    Last edited by Airman88; 07-14-09 at 10:01 AM.
    07-14-09 09:57 AM
    WOW,

Every one of you that is throwing crap my way needs to to go back and read my 1st thread....several times. I wrote that I accepted RIM's excuses for not auto-updating the time. Like I wrote, I do think that RIM could make the phone better by allowing the user the ability to show the CURRENT network time, along with the user set time, if the user wishes, on the home and/or clock page of the phone. That's it, period. As many have said, this is a long debated issue, and I think RIM should listen to it's customers. The technology is out there, they can do it (they kinda did it on the Storm). It would make the phone a better phone. They are leaders in the industry and need to make their product as user friendly as they can.

Can anyone really say they wouldn't want (not that you would actually use it) the OPTION of displaying the network time, along with the time you set in the phone on the home and/or clock page?

To clear up a few "minor issues" made by posters concerning my occupation.

If you have never done my job, you are no way qualified to comment about it. Your opinion is just that, an opinion, and has no merit. And no, I don't fly with my phone on. But I will use it on the ground if it will help me make a timely and safe decision (I'd bet you would prefer that) about my flight. It has been documented that a cockpit crew will make over 1000 safety related decisions during a 1 hr flight (that number goes way up if you throw bad weather and/or a mechanical issue in the mix). I need to have accurate information to help make those decisions. A reliable timepiece, like a BB that will display current network time on the home page would be a real asset for me.

I have contacted several CB programmers and all think the network display idea is great. Since RIM doesn't seem interested, maybe one of these programmers will develop an app.
    Well said. I think a lot of people missed the point of your complaint. There should be an option as the technology to do this does exist.
    07-14-09 11:06 AM
    Hey svtpickemup, I'm a delta employee and heard there's something to download to get travelnet to work on the blackberry. I have a Tour on Verizon and really would like this. I can get pretty much everything else on the web. Please let me know. Thanks
    10-06-09 06:33 PM
    Isn't the rumor that this is being addressed in the final of OS 5.0?
    10-06-09 06:48 PM
    A simple solution is to have BB or someone to write an app "Travel Clock". The app displays your home time and your auto adjusted local time based on GPS location and daylight time rule.

10-06-09 07:02 PM
    Actually on the leaked os 5.0.0.238 for my curve 8900 it has the option to auto update time zone. If you go to options then date and time you can set your time zone you are in and then it has the option to auto-update time zone. You can either have it prompt, on, or off. Hope this helps anyone.
    10-06-09 07:58 PM
    A simple solution is to have BB or someone to write an app "Travel Clock". The app displays your home time and your auto adjusted local time based on GPS location and daylight time rule.

I was thinking of the exact same thing when I read the first few post of this thread. I think there should be an app that displays the current network time right next to the home time zone whenever the network detect a different time zone.
    10-06-09 08:08 PM
    My macbook pro and ipod touch both update...just sayin!

That's a completely different subject however, as the time is updated via wifi through apple's time server.

So let me ask you this. A laptop; do you carry one with you? Does it automatically adjust to the local time zone in which you are using it? Or do you have to update the clock by right clicking in the bottom right corner of the computer screen? What a drag...

Mine sure doesn't but I sure make do while I AM on business. But I wouldn't expect a lowly pilot to understand what us Business folks do out there in the world while performing our jobs. You should just understand that it doesn't affect the way I do business, globally. Go figure...

Microsoft hasn't figured out a way to automatically update my Outlook to travel with me and adjust according to my coordinates within the world but I manage.
    10-06-09 08:38 PM
    Isn't the rumor that this is being addressed in the final of OS 5.0?
    It's in v.230 I'm using on my tour. I've not traveled cross-country yet, so I can't say how it works, if at all.

So let me ask you this. A laptop; do you carry one with you? Does it automatically adjust to the local time zone in which you are using it? Or do you have to update the clock by right clicking in the bottom right corner of the computer screen? What a drag...

Mine sure doesn't but I sure make do while I AM on business. But I wouldn't expect a lowly pilot to understand what us Business folks do out there in the world while performing our jobs. You should just understand that it doesn't affect the way I do business, globally. Go figure...

Microsoft hasn't figured out a way to automatically update my Outlook to travel with me and adjust according to my coordinates within the world but I manage.
    Nice tone to a guy who someday may have the lives of you or your family in his hands.
    10-06-09 08:57 PM
    Oh btw, as far as I can see, the OP has a valid point ... For those of you childish individuals stating "why does a pilot using his phone in the cockpit", or "why does a pilot need the correct time on his phone when he has other methods of figuring it out", or "why is this an issue" - grow up. Its 2009, not 1864 ... The world has grown accustom to, and dependant on technology - like it or not. For a pilot, It sounds like a world clock with automatic time update would be a huge benefit. There are plenty other scenarios where one would benefit from this. Granted, not everyone would like to see this type of feature, which is why it should at least be an OPTION. I understand there are underlying technical issues that would need to be addressed, but to say its impossible is nonsense. I don't think it should become a standard for auto-update, for those on borders, etc...but an option would be nice...and should be expected for devices that retail at a half of a thousand dollars.

10-06-09 09:19 PM
    Well. Technically there are 6 time zones in the US....(Eastern, Central, Mountain, Pacific, Alaska, and Hawaii).

Other than that, I agree with the post 100%.

Then don't forget you have some areas that do not observe daylight time adding another complication. We make the conversion all the time in our heads. But it does make for unnecessary mental gymnastics when you could be spending your energy on something else. It also would be nice to have a confirmation that you have done the math correctly.

As the OP said it would be a nice convenience. As has been said, it is 2009. Do you mean to tell me this is any worse than posters going on and on about threaded messaging, emoticons, and whining about only having 6 icons on the home screen among many other things? I think not. I agree with the OP. If the day comes when our BB's will have the auto time conversion option, I will welcome it. And I know from conversations I have had with passengers, that many business travelers will as well.
    10-07-09 01:35 AM
    Oh btw, as far as I can see, the OP has a valid point ... For those of you childish individuals stating "why does a pilot using his phone in the cockpit", or "why does a pilot need the correct time on his phone when he has other methods of figuring it out", or "why is this an issue" - grow up. Its 2009, not 1864 ...
    If you have ever flown on an airline, you'll know that everyone is instructed to turn off their phones while taking off and landing, and to keep the radio off (e.g., airplane mode) during flight. That's because certain electronics can interfere with the pilot's instruments. The previous posters are concerned that the pilot is risking people's lives by utilizing a device that could possibly be causing interference that the pilot doesn't know about.
    10-07-09 08:50 AM
    If you have ever flown on an airline, you'll know that everyone is instructed to turn off their phones while taking off and landing, and to keep the radio off (e.g., airplane mode) during flight. That's because certain electronics can interfere with the pilot's instruments. The previous posters are concerned that the pilot is risking people's lives by utilizing a device that could possibly be causing interference that the pilot doesn't know about.
    As a pilot myself, and Airman88 in particular as an airline pilot, we know all sorts of things can create flight and navigation instrument anomalies. We are taught these possibilities, how to detect them, and how to compensate.

Jeez, Airman or any airline pilot is not going to be using his bb or cellphone in the air in anything other than an emergency. FAA regulations require maintaining "a sterile cockpit" ie, refraining from anything not related to the conduct of that flight, from pushback to shutdown. So that obviously prohibits cellphones or any other distraction. His life is on the line too, and is often said in aviation circles, "The first one on the scene of an accident is the pilot."

Granted his grading of RIM was harsh, but the guy just wants a way for his PIM to work for him, not the other way around. "Flying the line" and keeping 3 time zones -- local, zulu time (GMT), and crew base time -- straight, 4-5 days a week, week after week, is challenging, but especially so when you're on the back side of the clock.

Every frequent flier and pilot develops his/her own way of managing time zones differences. Just because Airman stated his opinion doesn't make it ok to attack him personally, question his competency, or snark on his profession
    Last edited by wyodog; 10-07-09 at 11:55 AM.
    10-07-09 11:52 AM
    Obviously I get this point-however, he's madeit very clear that he is only using his phone while on the ground-when safe to do so....so really...let's put this to rest already!

10-07-09 02:35 PM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD