Yesterday i went snowboarding with a couple friends and had my tour in my waterproof pocket of my jacket. Being dumb i for got to zip it! I got all my stuff off, got in the truck to go home and realized all the snow in my pocket. I blow dryed it and put it in rice for an r and a half. At first it worked fine, except the trackball would'nt move up or click. now it won't even turn on. It goes to the loading screen and then resets itself and repeats. Verizon won't do anything because it's water damage and i'm running an unofficial os (Irtehun's 5.17 hybrid with .230).

O ya, did I mention my white housing came today?
    Last edited by manningfan10; 12-29-09 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Profanity / content moderation
    12-29-09 02:19 PM
    wait did you have insurance?
    12-29-09 02:22 PM
    You may be a dumb for not zipping your pocket, but you're an even dumber for operating your BB while trying to use it while it was probably still dripping. No insurance = you're screwed
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 12-29-09 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Profanity / content moderation
    12-29-09 02:31 PM
    Thread title changed to one less profane. Posts ALL cleaned up.

Lay off the profanity people.
    12-29-09 02:41 PM
    Umm, yeah. You sealed it's fate by trying to actually use it to see if it worked...had you of left it to dry either on it's own or in a bowl of rice it might have had a chance. As others stated, no insurance...you're SOL.
    12-29-09 02:42 PM
    I've read so many horror stories on here about water and the tour. I just called and placed insurance on my phone. Its the first time I have had insurance on a phone since I started with sprint in 03. Better safe then sorry.
    12-29-09 02:51 PM
    Can we have a moment of silence for another fallen BB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-09 02:52 PM
    How much is insurance for a Tour on the Sprint network? Does it vary?
    12-29-09 03:01 PM
    Its $7 a month with 100 deductible causes its a BlackBerry (smartphone). Regular phones are $50 deductible. Well worth it if it gets stolen or damaged.
    12-29-09 03:03 PM
    I let it dry in rice for 1hr and a half then blow dryed it. I do have insurance, but I am only 15 and thats my paycheck for the week. I am going back to verizon to see again if there is anything i can do since have many inside connections at the local vzw
    12-29-09 03:32 PM
    there, fixed
    12-29-09 03:34 PM
    I might have to go to a different fone. I will keep you posted
    12-29-09 03:34 PM
    Water damage voids warranty

12-29-09 03:36 PM
    my rep at vzw gave me a brand new one! no ?'s asked! They had to ship it because they do not carry it in the store because it is too new. I should have it by tomarrow or wed!!
    12-29-09 05:43 PM
    Did you have to return your old device? If you did and they open it apart and find water damage, they might charge you full retail for the replacement. I'd advise against returning the water damaged device

12-29-09 05:54 PM
    I have to send it back when i get the new one. I had the 7.15 hybrid on mine. For the new fone, do i have to install .230 before the hybrid?
    12-29-09 06:54 PM
    I've had the insurance since I've been using cell phones.
    But I heard that even with the insurance, that water damaged
    wasn't covered. Is it or isn't it covered? Or do we just bend
    the truth when we call them?
    12-29-09 06:54 PM
    it is covered in mine. i have asurion. it is sponsored by vzw
    12-29-09 07:07 PM
    Consider yourself lucky.

And stop riding is wet snow, powder only!
    12-29-09 07:33 PM
    dude next time use a ziploc freezer bag with the glide loc on top i use it all the time im next to snow ,ice etc. people think i'm nuts walking around with a phone in a ziploc bag but you never know.
    12-29-09 09:56 PM
    Lets be happy for her only being 15 .... but people if your phone gets wet pull battery right away leave in rice for 2 days dont be in a hurry... if can take it apart and put in rice..
    12-29-09 11:48 PM
    did you tell them you got it wet? like dicecube said they may charge you if the makers are red and its not sent back for that reason.
    12-30-09 12:05 AM
    �ompanies are in it to make money. They will find any way to milk money out of you to maximize profits. Make sure the water indicator tabs inside the phone are still white and not pink/red.

12-30-09 08:29 PM
    I let it dry in rice for 1hr and a half then blow dryed it. I do have insurance, but I am only 15 and thats my paycheck for the week. I am going back to verizon to see again if there is anything i can do since have many inside connections at the local vzw
    Yes but did you take the battery out? an hour and a half is not enough time for Rice to do its trick it takes a few days...

If you didn't take the battery out as soon as realized the phone was wet, that is what doomed it. Most people don't realize that. and the fact it takes days for rice to absorb the moisture, you might get faster results with Silica Gel, but I doubt it.. The best way is to disassemble the phone, clean with 99% proof and let dry in a warm dry area for an hour or two..

Remember people, REMOVE THE DAMN BATTERY!!!
    12-30-09 08:50 PM
    I'd advise against returning the water damaged device

And a dead phone with an unofficial os. Trust me, rim can read and revive dead phones for the most part and can see if official or unofficial software was on it.
    12-30-09 09:07 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD