not missing it.. i always have 3G coverage everywhere i go.. besides, verizon network is fast for me not to miss wifi..
    10-30-09 02:15 PM
    I never had it either, so don't miss it. Plus, I get great coverage where I live. So don't even know if I'd ever use it.

That said, if you can wait for the Tour2, then you'd have the best of both worlds. A Tour and WiFi. I have no idea of even a speculated release for it though. Would have to peruse the Tour2 forum and see if you can find anything.
    10-30-09 02:22 PM
    Either way Sprint will be getting wifi for the Tour last time I heard.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-09 02:33 PM
    I don't exactly miss it, but for the price most of us paid for this phone, it should have been included.
    10-30-09 02:49 PM
    Here's a twist for you. Everyone says they want wi-fi for when they don't have a carrier signal. Well, go out to the sticks, where surprisingly, the carrier signal is a good 3-5 bars, and there are no wi-fi hotspots to be found. What good does it do you there?

I have wi-fi at work and home. I don't get signal at work, but am on my computer the whole day. No need for wi-fi on a phone there. At home, you guessed it, I just use my computer. Once again, no need for wi-fi there.

I did have a WM phone with wifi for about a month before work played musical phones. It was more of a novelty like "Hey, look what I can do!" but never really useful.
    10-30-09 02:49 PM
    ive never had wifi on a phone before, so no, i dont miss it
    +1

10-30-09 03:31 PM
    If you don't have wifi you'll never understand why it's so crucial. I can understand those who brought a "wifiless" phone like the Tour and say they don't need wifi. I would also try justifying shelling out all that money and not having a basic feature which should have been included. Yeah I think I would try convincing myself I also don't need wifi. Wifi is faster than 3G and when connected more reliable.

Last edited by JD914; 10-30-09 at 03:46 PM.
    10-30-09 03:41 PM
    honestly 3g is more then fast enough for me i dont find any need for wifi
    10-30-09 03:55 PM
    Had wifi in the past. Don't miss it, don't need it and don't want it.
    10-30-09 04:00 PM
    No, but I'll tell you what I do miss from my old pearl....

SURETYPE!!!!

Boy oh boy do I miss the words being filled out after only typing half of it...

Dm
    Jesus, man- not me. Half the time it would pick the wrong word. I once sent an email to my assistant from my old Pearl, where I told her she would "like it". Well, the stupid suretype changed like to lick. Yup, I told my assistant she could lick it...

I almost threw that stupid Pearl against the wall on multiple occasions.
    10-30-09 04:11 PM
    If you don't have wifi you'll never understand why it's so crucial. I can understand those who brought a "wifiless" phone like the Tour and say they don't need wifi. I would also try justifying shelling out all that money and not having a basic feature which should have been included. Yeah I think I would try convincing myself I also don't need wifi. Wifi is faster than 3G and when connected more reliable.

The point is that many of the posters (including myself) have had wifi phones before. Obviously we made the decision to get a non-wifi phone as an upgrade. For many of use, it's about sharing our info/perspectives. I have nothing to justify, my Tour cost 1 cent.

That said, on the wifi phones that I have previously owned (2), not one of them gave me faster browser speeds than I was getting on 3g. The limiting factor was always the rendering of the page on the phone.

Now, that's not to say that there may not be significant usefulness to having wifi, but it really is in specific circumstances. If you're at home and you have a weak 3g signal, I would think that most of your data will come from your computer. If you're at work, probably the same thing applies, maybe not. Wifi could be useful for transferring files wirelessly, but bluetooth works fine for that too (albeit a bit slower).

Bottom line is that wifi eats batteries like crazy. It can be useful, but for most people that potential for usefulness is VASTLY eclipsed by the 3g radio.
    10-30-09 06:37 PM
    I think I miss Java-support more than I miss WiFi. If you need WiFi, there are other Blackberry options out there with WiFi capability.
    10-30-09 06:39 PM
    I think I miss Java-support more than I miss WiFi. If you need WiFi, there are other Blackberry options out there with WiFi capability.
    Not for CDMA until just recently though... And even then only a touchscreen phone now and only on Verizon...
    10-30-09 06:44 PM
    I never had wi-fi on any of my phone, so I don't miss it. I saw the Sal's unboxing video of the essex and the hardware is the SAME as the Tour, (most of you know this) the phone isn'nt a big deal for me, my trackball is working just fine for the moment

10-30-09 06:46 PM
    I honestly don't see a difference in speed between wifi and 3G. Can't miss it that much.
    10-30-09 06:48 PM
    I've never had WiFi on a phone. I upgraded to the Tour from a Curve 8330.
    10-30-09 06:56 PM
    Just curious as I am defintely ready to upgarde from my Pearl. Is having Wi_Fi something I will miss with the tour...It looks like the perfect phone other than this.

I don't care about using the phone and browsing...I jus would like a faster browsing experience...will the Wi-fi help significantly?
    I personally don't have any issues surfing with the 3G speeds. Yes WIFI is faster but its not a deal breaker with this phone. Unless you're a heavy web surfer this should be negligible.

10-30-09 09:03 PM
    living in Houston i have great coverage so i havent given wifi a second thought. now when i go to arkansas and have spotty coverage i wouldnt be able to use wifi either as i understand it since there are no wifi areas in the woods....
    10-30-09 09:32 PM
    I honestly don't see a difference in speed between wifi and 3G. Can't miss it that much.
    The comparison shouldn't necessarily be between 3G and wifi. It should be between NO SIGNAL and wifi.

Many flights now have wifi, which means you could use your BlackBerry on the airplane to send and receive emails, surf the web, etc. 3G doesn't work at 30,000 feet.

Also, sometime people live in a bad coverage area, and having wifi on their phone would be a nice benefit.
    10-30-09 11:44 PM
    My previous phone had wifi, and it was nice once I remember when I was at a friends house in their basement where they had no service. But I just used it to look up something on IMDB lol.. Never had a NEED for it.

Also, I think I would embrace wifi more if there wasn't so much drain on the battery life. I can't justify using it when it drains so much battery. And if I'm at home or work and the phone can be plugged in, that probably means I have a laptop next to me and I'll just use that hehe.

A big reason I got my last phone was because it had wifi and there was all this buzz over it, but I just didn't have a use for it I guess.
    10-31-09 12:06 AM
    Yep I miss wifi when I'm @ my mothers house and its bad reception I can't do jack on my tour

10-31-09 01:53 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD