I ordered a Tour new in box off of eBay recently and it arrives tomorrow. I didn't think that it would be an issue because I've never had a phone go bad on me before, but now with the issues with .591 I am a bit concerned. I don't plan to put the phone on .591 because if it gets bricked there is nothing I can do with the phone as Verizon will not take it back due to it being purchased outside of their stores.

That being said, I have two questions:

1. Is the Sprint .484 official release good enough to where I don't have to worry about bricking the phone? I searched through the .484 thread that is stickied to the forum and couldn't find anything on this issue, but I do want to make sure.

2. I'm on VZW, I heard that you can switch between BlackBerry devices by calling *228 and hitting a certain option. I have a Storm 9550 and plan to switch between the devices every so often. What is the most efficient way of switching between devices on a CDMA network? In the past when I switched devices it was on TMO...and we all know how easy it is on GSM networks.

Thanks!
    04-04-10 03:51 PM
    To switch BlackBerry devices, first activate the "new" device on your account. You can do this online at your MyVerizon page. Then dial *228 from the device and select Option 1.

Then you will need to log in to your BIS page from a computer, and use the "Change Device Function" and resend your Service Books in order to get your emails to the "new" device.

When you want switch back, repeat the process with the "old" device.
    04-04-10 04:03 PM
    On the day you activate the phone purchase insurance on your line, its a couple bucks a month and worth it. And regardless of what anyone tells you you can insure any phone bought anywhere, including ebay. If you already have insurance it will transfer 48 hours after activation (but make sure they don't drop the ins, make sure its there on you vzw acct website). To use insurance on a phone, the phone has to be the active phone on the line.
    Also after 30 days on the network if you trackball messes up they will replace it free of charge. Still every tour is under manufacture warranty. Also for trackball replacement the phone has to have been on the active line for 30 plus days.
    Last edited by abtjason; 04-04-10 at 04:19 PM.
    04-04-10 04:11 PM
    On the day you activate the phone purchase insurance, its a couple bucks a month and worth it. And regardless of what anyone tells you you can insure any phone bought anywhere, including ebay.
    Also after 30 days on the network if you trackball messes up they will replace it free of charge. Still every tour is under manufacture warranty.
    That is totally incorrect. Verizon, or any other carrier for that matter, is not obligated to sell insurance for a phone that they did not sell if they choose not to. If you only purchase cell service, insurance may not be available through the carrier, but there are 3rd party insurance options that are. However, most third party insurers are much more stringent about what they will/will not cover, so it is best to read any policy thoroughly before signing. This is one the primary reasons that phones and phone insurance rates are going sky high. People will buy a phone from eBay, craigslist, etc, and expect the carrier to cover the costs. That is simply outrageous and a scam in my opinion.
    04-04-10 04:21 PM
    You might try the OS update for Verizon. I updated mine and have not had any problems, audio volume is a little lower but not bad.
    04-04-10 04:23 PM
    I have no intention of asking Verizon to cover the phone unless they offer me insurance on that phone. I work in the same building as a VZW store, so I plan to ask them next time I'm in the area. At no point do I intend to scam anyone...however, if insurance is an option, I will take advantage of it. I apologize if I ruffled any feathers with my original post.

Secondly, in regard to the latest VZW update, I'm not interested at all given the weird MMS glitch and the possibility of bricking the phone. I think that .484 is the option I'm going to go with unless I have a good reason not to.
    04-04-10 04:29 PM
    That is totally incorrect. Verizon, or any other carrier for that matter, is not obligated to sell insurance for a phone that they did not sell if they choose not to. If you only purchase cell service, insurance may not be available through the carrier, but there are 3rd party insurance options that are. However, most third party insurers are much more stringent about what they will/will not cover, so it is best to read any policy thoroughly before signing. This is one the primary reasons that phones and phone insurance rates are going sky high. People will buy a phone from eBay, craigslist, etc, and expect the carrier to cover the costs. That is simply outrageous and a scam in my opinion.
    VZW has added insurance on every ebay phone I have used with no problems, just don't mention where you have bought the phone (I always tell them it came from wal-mart). They have also replace 1 tour from ebay with a non responsive trackball without a question, just got a new one out of the box, and switched my esn on the line.
    Also if you don't like the results you get from one rep or cs call do it aging and again till you get what you want. Works every time.
    Last edited by abtjason; 04-04-10 at 05:15 PM.
    04-04-10 05:12 PM
    I'm on Sprint, and my BB Tour has .484
    It works very well for me.
    04-04-10 05:17 PM
    Thank you to everyone giving me insight on my questions. Really great responses that put my mind at ease.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-04-10 08:09 PM
    If it means anything, I'm currently on .591 & am strongly considering downgrading to .484 because I heard it was solid.
    04-04-10 10:30 PM
    i use to have an 8330 on sprint and i bought an 8530 off e-bay my insurance was transfered automaticly to my new device without question.
    04-04-10 11:28 PM
    I wouldn't go to .591 ... but my text messages are randomly disappearing
    04-04-10 11:50 PM
    I have no intention of asking Verizon to cover the phone unless they offer me insurance on that phone. I work in the same building as a VZW store, so I plan to ask them next time I'm in the area. At no point do I intend to scam anyone...however, if insurance is an option, I will take advantage of it. I apologize if I ruffled any feathers with my original post.

Secondly, in regard to the latest VZW update, I'm not interested at all given the weird MMS glitch and the possibility of bricking the phone. I think that .484 is the option I'm going to go with unless I have a good reason not to.
    How is it a scam to purchase insurance on a phone? I don't force vzw to give it to me. I buy a used car, I insure it. I buy a used home, I insure it. I pay for insurance on my person and family. I buy life insurance. I pay my monthly insurance bills in hopes not to use it. That is why it is called insurance. If something does happen to my phone I have to pay $100 to replace it. Still I have not ever used the my insurance that I have been paying for with vzw for 5 years, so really who is scamming who here?
    And as for the trackball becoming non responsive, that is still a factory warranty issue. Every tour on the market will be under warranty until mid July so there is no harm there.
    04-05-10 02:51 AM
    ive had no problems with .591 at all on my tour.. and really, you cant brick the phone bad enough that you cant fix it by just installing .591.. if anyones told you that their wrong.

you can get insurance for your phone.. its not a scam if your paying the monthly fees for it, despite what anyone else says.

cheers
    04-05-10 03:06 AM
    Your tour isn't going to get bricked. Don't worry about it. Do the upgrade properly. The easy way. Don't shrink it. Don't do any of that stuff. Do it as Verizon intends you to do it. You don't got to do it with the computer. You can do it from wireless update in your options.

I mean, yeah you can stay on 4.7 but that would kinda suck. Get a new blackberry and you're on the old OS. Everyone else has threaded sms and a way faster browser and you are sitting there waiting for pages to load very slowly I might add.

If I was you, I'd take the chance. Don't be scared of it. The odds are it is not going to brick. Hardly no ones has. Very few. It's less than 1% of tours that have upgraded to 5.0 I read last night. It's just you're used to reading this website where it's being talked about a lot.
    04-05-10 05:19 AM
    How is it a scam to purchase insurance on a phone? I don't force vzw to give it to me. .... snip
    Because you admitted that you are not truthful to Verizon about the source of the device. This is fraudulent.

And as for the trackball becoming non responsive, that is still a factory warranty issue. Every tour on the market will be under warranty until mid July so there is no harm there.
    The device warranty typically does not transfer to the new owner. This is clearly stated in the warranty.
    04-05-10 05:58 AM
    On the day you activate the phone purchase insurance on your line, its a couple bucks a month and worth it. And regardless of what anyone tells you you can insure any phone bought anywhere, including ebay. If you already have insurance it will transfer 48 hours after activation (but make sure they don't drop the ins, make sure its there on you vzw acct website). To use insurance on a phone, the phone has to be the active phone on the line.
    Also after 30 days on the network if you trackball messes up they will replace it free of charge. Still every tour is under manufacture warranty. Also for trackball replacement the phone has to have been on the active line for 30 plus days.
    You can only purchase insurance up to 14 days after you have signed a new contract. I don't think they give you the option to purchase every time you buy a new phone.
    04-05-10 06:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD