This is from a site I frequent. We got to talking about BB's and some were complaing about the tour trackball issues so the guy decided to try and replace it with a 8830 trackball unit and it worked and he says it works A LOT better then the OEM unit.

Full step-by-step disassembly with pics.

Sprint Blackberry tour breakdown. - InsiderForums
    08-04-09 01:07 PM
    Interesting. Thanks!
    08-04-09 01:10 PM
    Thanks For the info
    08-04-09 01:59 PM
    Son of a *****. I just collected up the tools to do this, got all the walk through images for the tour and the 8830 to do the swap out and it turns out i can't even clean the ball, much less swap it out because the screw heads are stripped out. It looks as though someone burred them out with a dremmel or something at the factory. I am now stuck with a crappy working trackball, or I go through ANOTHER device swap. Then everyone on my messenger list has to update my PIN, and the two verizon stores near me that do replacements are enormous pains in the ***. They never know anything about forwarding service books and only have reconditioned phones.

Sorry... Rage blog over.
    (almost)
    Bastards....
    08-21-09 06:54 PM
    When I had my SprintTour I switched out the trackball from my old Pear and it worked perfectly. Now I have a Verizon Tour and have no problems.
    08-21-09 07:14 PM
    Son of a *****. I just collected up the tools to do this, got all the walk through images for the tour and the 8830 to do the swap out and it turns out i can't even clean the ball, much less swap it out because the screw heads are stripped out. It looks as though someone burred them out with a dremmel or something at the factory. I am now stuck with a crappy working trackball, or I go through ANOTHER device swap. Then everyone on my messenger list has to update my PIN, and the two verizon stores near me that do replacements are enormous pains in the ***. They never know anything about forwarding service books and only have reconditioned phones.

Sorry... Rage blog over.
    (almost)
    Bastards....
    so the one with the stripped screws was a refurb?
    08-21-09 07:17 PM
    I heard InsiderForums sucks.
    12-02-09 12:13 PM
    Well I just replaced the Tour trackball with the 8830/pearl/curve trackball and its somehow worse. Any other ideas?
    12-07-09 09:01 PM
    Well I just replaced the Tour trackball with the 8830/pearl/curve trackball and its somehow worse. Any other ideas?
    Try another trackball...lol...seriously get another one...
    12-07-09 09:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD