So I just purchased a used tour on ebay. I am paranoid that it may have trackball issues. I know its a long shot but would sprint help me if I had brought the tour to them if I was infact having trackball issues. On a side note, is replacing a faulty trackball with a "green dot" trackball a permanent fix? Thanks in advance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-09 03:25 AM
    It could be different for sprint but for vz at least the warranty applies to the original purchaser only.

11-21-09 04:23 AM
    Yep. The warranty is not transferable.

Some users have gotten warranty replacements from the carrier in the situations, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    11-21-09 08:42 AM
    If it has been less than 30 days from activation, you could add TEP.
    11-21-09 11:12 AM
    Once you activated the phone, used or new, your online account will allow you to add the $7/mo warranty coverage within 30 days.

11-21-09 11:16 AM
    Cool, i havent even received the phone yet. Could i just get TEP for two months and cancel it?
    11-21-09 12:57 PM
    Why would you want to cancel in 2 months??? If the phone doesnt have a warranty because you are the second owner you would be best served by keeping the TEP on your account until the tour is cheaper to replace on ebay than the TEP deductible.
    11-21-09 01:04 PM
    Why would you want to cancel in 2 months??? If the phone doesnt have a warranty because you are the second owner you would be best served by keeping the TEP on your account until the tour is cheaper to replace on ebay than the TEP deductible.
    This is true, but i was just wondering if once signed up for the TEP if you will be locked in.
    11-21-09 01:06 PM
    Another question i have, if i get the TEP added to my Tour would i be able to bring it in the store to have them fix potential issues like the trackball. Thanks.
    11-21-09 01:15 PM
    Another question i have, if i get the TEP added to my Tour would i be able to bring it in the store to have them fix potential issues like the trackball. Thanks.
    No. Insurance does not work like a warranty. All claims of device malfunctions are handled through the insurance.

11-21-09 02:14 PM
    Yes, you can. The Sprint store or online customer service will assist you in repairing or replacing the phone.

See details

SPRINT PCS -
    11-21-09 05:33 PM
    The TEP @ $7 or repair only @ $4 is the best way to go... I've bought from eBay and elsewhere and had the repair service fix problems. With BB's the mostly send to RIM for replacement in my experience.
    11-21-09 08:15 PM
    I bought the tour once it came out on ebay since I signed a brand new contract to get a pre. Had trackball problems and loose battery door. Called sprint blackberry support pretended to do all the troubleshooting steps since obviously my problems were defects. They sent me out a brand new replacement sealed in box and had me send back the old phone without anything besides the phone itself. Your carrier is responsible for upholding RIM 1 year warranty as much as they state otherwise they are responsible. Get it replaced refurbished or not you payed hard earned money you deserve a working phone.
    11-21-09 09:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD