I sent a few text messages from work and just adjusted some settings, but wasn't actually browsing the internet (although i think the browser was left open). It went from 90% charged to only 2 bars, in a span of less then 3 hours just from no more than 5 texts?

Am I doing something wrong here? I just put the thing in the pocket and lock the keys when I'm not using it, and I have the backlight to time out after 10 seconds.
    07-13-09 11:12 AM
    I know the batteries don't have a condition known as memory any longer, but I find that a new device seems to last longer after a couple or so full charges. YMMV.
    07-13-09 11:32 AM
    I know the batteries don't have a condition known as memory any longer, but I find that a new device seems to last longer after a couple or so full charges. YMMV.
    is it normal for the thing to lose like 80% of the battery charge just from not being on stand by but with the screen off? At this point im not sure if there is a battery issue or not, or if this is just what happens if you don't put it on standby when youa re not using it
    07-13-09 11:48 AM
    Do you have any apps like twitter that are updating alot? And no it shouldn't lose that much battery just being in standby
    07-13-09 11:48 AM
    You just got the device you are probably playing with the device alot so its gonna drain the battery
    07-13-09 11:49 AM
    I am using a conditioned battery and I am down to 80 percent in 3 hours with average use. Really no different then the Storm.

I thought it would be much better.
    07-13-09 11:50 AM
    Well, I'll say this: What you're experiencing is not typical of, well, ANY Blackberry. See what apps you have running (other than the apps that are always on) by holding the menu button down. Maybe there is an app in there that is killing your battery.
    07-13-09 11:50 AM
    yeah just be careful what apps you have open. there may be some things that you are using that use the network a lot. therefore you'd have issues
    07-13-09 11:58 AM
    Do you have any apps like twitter that are updating alot? And no it shouldn't lose that much battery just being in standby
    Well I found out about stand by after the fact. prior to that, I was just holding the "off" button, or just locked the keyboard if I didn't want to turn it off. I'm going to try it again tommorow using stand by and I guess if it dies quickly again I will have to exchange it.
    07-13-09 12:02 PM
    You just got the device you are probably playing with the device alot so its gonna drain the battery
    Even without making calls/using internet? I did have the display at full brightness and the backlight staying on the entire time I was using it, but would doing that for even 20-30 minutes be enough to make a large dent in the charge?
    07-13-09 12:03 PM
    I was just holding the "off" button, or just locked the keyboard if I didn't want to turn it off.

That's a problem right there, the end call button does not close out applications when finished using them. You need to hit Menu >Close...
    07-13-09 12:09 PM
    That's a problem right there, the end call button does not close out applications when finished using them. You need to hit Menu >Close...
    Wait, if I hold the end call button it says "powering down" or whatever message it says, so shouldn't it be completely turned off at that moment? I held the end call button though, like you would on any other phone to shut it off. Even if I had apps running still, once the phone is powered down what difference does it make?
    07-13-09 12:22 PM
    It doesn't, what I'm saying is, it sounds like you have applications running in the backround. A battery pull will close all of them, then whenever you're done using an application, hit Menu >Close. See if that cuts down on the battery consumption...
    07-13-09 12:25 PM
    I'm surprised people expected longer battery life when the battery is 1400 power and the storm is 1440

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-09 12:35 PM
    I have found, with any Blackberry, that decreasing the screen brightness makes a huge difference. On my Bold I have 10% brightness with a 2 minute timeout.

Also, as others have said, I use the Application Switcher to double check to see what's running in terms of apps. I get at least a day and a half with my Bold with normal use.

Of course, all bets are off if you watch a movie, have a long call, or run apps that update every few minutes.
    07-13-09 12:42 PM
    It doesn't, what I'm saying is, it sounds like you have applications running in the backround. A battery pull will close all of them, then whenever you're done using an application, hit Menu >Close. See if that cuts down on the battery consumption...
    Sorry I realized I left out a peice of info. I charge my phone at night and around 4 am I noticed it was fully charged, so I unplugged it and held the "end call" button until the phone "shut off". Was it draining the battery during that "shut off" period because it's wasn't really shut off?
    07-13-09 12:47 PM
    It shouldn't be draining too much at all when it's off. If you have Viigo, make sure it's not set to run in background. I got better life by turning my screen brightness down to 50%. Regardless, the biggest battery killer on my Bold is 3G. My battery makes 1 day when I have it on at home. If I'm in a not-so-great area and it has to keep looking for a 3G signal, it really kills it. Don't know if you can shut 3G off on the Tour.

Try checking your apps and settings. If it doesn't help, get a new one.
    07-13-09 02:16 PM
    My battery life with my Tour has been very comparable to when I had my Storm. Even though the Storm has the larger battery by 40 mah, it has the larger screen. But I think the Tour is rated for less battery life anyway...

On the back of my Tour battery, the minimum says 1380 mah. Anyone know what that is?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-09 02:32 PM
    Mine wore through nearly 3/4 of the battery charge in only 6 hours Sunday. Of course, I couldn't leave it alone. Monday the battery life improved. Today I've used it more than yesterday and it's only used 1/4 the full charge in 8 hours.

Based on that, I think there's some empirical support for the previous poster that commented you will see improved battery performance after your first few charge/discharge cycles.

I work in a bldg that's a legendary Verizon Dead Zone, so most of the day the radio is struggling with "searching for CDMA." Given the battery is holding up so well doing that all day I'm convinced you'll see your battery's performance improve after the first few days.
    07-14-09 02:45 PM
    By the time I finished with profiles and all the other personal settings, I used up 75% just like that, plus the other post refering to batteries holding more charge after a couple of charges/discharges is very true.

Buy an extra battery and a stand alone charger and just swap them out when you need to. I have 3 batteries and I run them all dead, swap, charge and rotate them.

I get mucho electric and battery life this way.

Just a thought.
    07-14-09 03:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD