Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 59
  1. jdriscoll's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Tour 9630 Users got hosed

    Anyone else done with RIM because there 9630 isnt getting OS6 I am surely not gonna sign a contract or pay retail for a phone thats only difference is a trackpad which I dont like as much as the ball and Wifi that just drains your battery....the fact that the 9630 isn't getting OS6 just made my decision on never getting another blackberry again....THANK YOU RIM
  2. paintdrinkingpete's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,365 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,282 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    The Tour was released over a year ago, and was never claimed to be eligible for OS 6 (actually, no one knew anything about OS 6 at the time).

    The 9650, besides having a trackpad and WIFI -- which, by the way, doesn't drain the battery all that much and has a lot more positives than negatives, in my opinion -- also has twice as much application memory, which is what is really needed to run OS 6.

    If you don't want to upgrade, that's fine, but given the current rate that smartphone technology is evolving, you really can't expect a device that's over a year old to keep up the newest OSs and features.

    This isn't something limited to Blackberries either. I have friends who bought Android phones a year ago who are disappointed that 2.2 (Froyo) won't run on it, and the iPhone 3GS came out around the same time as the Tour, and it also has been replaced with a newer device with new features that aren't available on it.
    Last edited by PaintDrinkingPete; 08-11-2010 at 08:09 PM.
  3. aznlgcy's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,038 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,064 Global Posts
    #3  

    Default

    The Tour had no promises to receive OS6. Also with some of the trackball issues I would rather pick up a new device for OS6. Those of us that have a tour, we at least got OS 5.0 and werenèt stuck with stupid 4.7.
  4. phinx404's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    174 Posts
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    #4  

    Default

    i know what you mean and can understand you frustration. First tour 2 comes out and get named bold cause the original tour should have had all the stuff it had. then no os6. my other bb is a tour. if i didn't have a 9780 already i would have been pissed if my main bb was a tour and no os6.
    Running Bold 9780 (6.0.0.359)
  5. Spiral_ouT's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,929 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,039 Global Posts
    PIN
    CH Harmonics ♬
    #5  

    Default

    So if OS 6 never came out, you would still be a content with your phone? I think it only makes sense that they are putting it out on the devices that can handle it...
    Spiral_ouT Keep Going
    Lateralus

  6. MissJennell#IM's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,394 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,139 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default

    The tour can't handle OS 6. Put on your big boy pants and deal with it. Also, there is way more differences between the tour and the bold. I have had both. The bold is WAY better.
  7. Jude526's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,792 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,914 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default

    I have had both as well and the Bold is very different from the Tour. I am very pleased with it. Technology is going to change and I understand your dismay, but don't blame RIM. It is your choice to not upgrade, but come on now, if you like BB and are due for an upgrade, then take a deep breath and take that step to the Bold.
    It is very different from the Tour. I don't need the Wifi but it is nice to know it is available. It has a lot more memory and it does feel different. The key pad is a lot more spacious. I am very pleased. no complaints


    Have an Incredible day !
    Phoenix Suns Rule !
  8. RetroAndreas's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    491 Posts
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    #8  

    Default

    I have the 9630 and I'm still happy with it.
  9. _StephenBB81's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    8,236 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,251 Global Posts
    #9  

    Default

    I'm using my Tour, and had an argument on the phone with a Bell Rep that he didn't have a better blackberry to offer me

    I'd rather keep my tour world phone then move to a 9700, the 9650 doesn't exist for Canadians yet.

    I don't feel cheated, THE only thing that makes me feel cheated was the 9630 launched at a MSRP of $699 which I paid, and the 9700 Launched at $599 a very short while later, I would have liked to keep that extra $100 as a down payment on my BT headset.
    oops...
    Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. \
  10. BergerKing's Avatar

    Posts
    30,964 Posts
    Global Posts
    32,227 Global Posts
    PIN
    By request.
    #10  

    Default

    I upgraded in March knowing full well the 9650 was coming, and that it had features I wanted. But initial price is a factor, and the much lower price of the Tour made it attractive at the time. I have no regrets about it. I'll like it even better with a more efficient OS, TBH.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  11. grover5's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,441 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,589 Global Posts
    #11  

    Default

    The Tour is still a great smart phone regardless, you should definitely seek out those big boy pants. Your phone does what it said it would do when you bought it and to be honest, does it really well. If you want more then pursue and purchase that more, but do not blame the vendor of your original "I want this phone" for your new desires.
  12. bighap's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,435 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,436 Global Posts
    #12  

    Default

    If you can't live without being current, sign up for a plan of $59.99 or more so you get a new phone every year at the 2 year contract price. Easy as that.
  13. WhoolioPreludee's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,073 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,114 Global Posts
    PIN
    The Tail On The Donkey
    #13  

    Default

    If you're a mad tour user. Now imagine a device with better internals than the tour and still getting the shaft. Maybe then you'd begin to understand why lots of us s1 and s2 users are p¡ssed and gunning it for androids.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  14. Culex316's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,170 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,184 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default

    ehhh....I can live with my Tour..it's still an awesome device and really reliable..worked flawlessly for me on my recent trip abroad.
  15. Wolf-Strong's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    44 Posts
    #15  

    Default

    +1 to most people here. Honestly, there is absolutely NO reason why RIM should put OS6 on an old phone that is not even physically capable of running OS6. Then you think you are entitled to receive a free/severely discounted phone with no obligation (contract)? Then you claim that there is no benefit to wifi and added memory (which is needed to handle OS6)? I can see why you like the trackball, but even then that is just a minor learning adjustment. I rock a 9630 myself and don't feel in the least bit shafted; I knew what I paid for, just like when I got my first computer years ago with 256MB of ram, I would never expect it to run StarCraft2 or Windows 7; again I don't feel shafted, I just waited until I could afford the latest and greatest and upgraded when I could, knowing something better will eventually come out that my current hardware will not be able to run. You sir, need to stop smoking the crack pipe, stop thinking you are entitled to everything for nothing, and get real.

    Don't let the door hit you on the way out, or run into the door itself.
  16. skyboxer's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,819 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,900 Global Posts
    PIN
    G pong is not a sport
    #16  

    Default

    The trackpad is needed to be able to flick back and forth between messages, pages, and such. Won't work with a trackball. Or so I've read.
    I ponied up the big bucks for the 9650, and because of my family plan I'm sitting on an upgrade now. My Tour I gave to my son, who loves it. He doesn't care about OS upgrades, EOL status etc. He just wants a phone that works well, and my Tour does.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  17. RDGonzales's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    16 Posts
    #17  

    Smile Moved from Palm 755p to Blackberry

    Yes.. I'm a little disappointed also that the Tour is not getting the upgrade.. but believe me..getting away from the Palm and into the Blackberry was such a relief. Yes.. there are some quirks.. crashed hard drive, trackball issues, but on each occasion the phone was replaced. I'd love to get those sweet bells and whistles that 6.0 has to offer, but in November I can upgrade and since I'm on Sprint and they don't offer the 9800 slider, I'll see what's on the market.. But bottom line I'm happy with my Blackberry.
  18. jetman1287's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    705 Posts
    #18  

    Default

    I think the frustration is because the Bold isn't much better than the Tour at all, yet the Tour doesn't get it. It's not like the Bold can do stuff the Tour can't, except WiFi. That, plus the Tour was a hardware nightmare with failed trackballs, and it took forever to VZW to even release OS 5.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  19. RBernier's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    332 Posts
    #19  

    Default

    I don't understand why anyone thinks they are automatically entitled to the latest and greatest. If you buy a 2009 automobile and two months later the 2010 model of the same automobile hits the dealership, do you think your 2009 model is entitled to be upgraded with any improvements that have been made to the 2010 model? You may not think it is the same thing, but in reality it is the same.
    Ron Bernier,
    Woonsocket,RI
  20. RBernier's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    332 Posts
    #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetman1287 View Post
    I think the frustration is because the Bold isn't much better than the Tour at all, yet the Tour doesn't get it. It's not like the Bold can do stuff the Tour can't, except WiFi. That, plus the Tour was a hardware nightmare with failed trackballs, and it took forever to VZW to even release OS 5.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    The Tour doesn't get it because the Tour has half the memory of the Bold.
    Ron Bernier,
    Woonsocket,RI
  21. ldeighme's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    PIN
    32E385A5
    #21  

    Default

    The Tour is a year old. Thank God technology and OS changes every year. You are mad at RIM because they upgraded their product. Get a new phone if you want OS 6. As soon as you walk out of a phone store, the device is old. Haha!
  22. jetman1287's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    705 Posts
    #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RBernier View Post
    The Tour doesn't get it because the Tour has half the memory of the Bold.
    They REALLY couldn't fit 512 onto the Tour?

    You can see it coming with the Torch. RIM could've easily given this thing a 1GHz processor and 1GB of memory to keep it relevant for a while. But in 6 months there may be talk of OS 7 and guess what...none for the Torch because it doesn't have 1GB, and it's because the technology was outdated as soon as it was announced.

    But it's not like the 90s and PCs where things were moving so fast you just had to upgrade. It's almost like RIM is holding back on AVAILABLE technology.
  23. MissJennell#IM's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,394 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,139 Global Posts
    #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhoolioPreludee View Post
    If you're a mad tour user. Now imagine a device with better internals than the tour and still getting the shaft. Maybe then you'd begin to understand why lots of us s1 and s2 users are p¡ssed and gunning it for androids.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You should put your big boy pants on also and deal with it. It takes more for a touch screen OS. The storm 2 doesn't have it. You can't put something on a phone that takes up more memory than the phone has. So if you want OS6 then buy a different phone. You aren't entitled to crap.

    Quote Originally Posted by jetman1287 View Post
    They REALLY couldn't fit 512 onto the Tour?
    You can see it coming with the Torch. RIM could've easily given this thing a 1GHz processor and 1GB of memory to keep it relevant for a while. But in 6 months there may be talk of OS 7 and guess what...none for the Torch because it doesn't have 1GB, and it's because the technology was outdated as soon as it was announced.

    But it's not like the 90s and PCs where things were moving so fast you just had to upgrade. It's almost like RIM is holding back on AVAILABLE technology.
    They might have been able to but they didn't. They aren't going to go back and change that now so what are you gonna do about it? Nothing. If you don't want those specs or those phones then don't get it. Get what works for you. Why complain about something you can't change. It's ridiculous. My 5 year old even knows that.
  24. berryfit's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,145 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,152 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM and Ask
    #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MissJennell View Post
    Put on your big boy pants and deal with it.
    I nominate this as the quote of the day!
    The second you think you know everything, is the same second you know, or have learned nothing!
  25. itsdollar's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,057 Global Posts
    #25  

    Default

    I had Storm 1 and gladly upgraded to Storm 2 which I loved...unitl I shattered the screen and now have a 9650. I don't feel like they owe me anything. I chose the phones I use and knew what I was getting and what is/was coming out. If you get what works for you and keep it why always get so frustrated 6 months later when you KNOW another is always rumored to drop.

    *zips up my big boy pants and walks out of thread*
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions