Yesterday I upgraded to .591 on my Vz Tour. Here is the issue that has been present and consistent with all 5.0 releases.

If you create a specific alert for incoming SMS text messages from a specific contact, it does not work. It continues to use the default that all incoming SMS Text use. It is almost as if the SMS and MMS functions are not considered or recognized as messages. For example, if I set a contact alert to any other sound, silent, or vibrate, it defaults the contact alert tone to BBPro_Sanguine (even though that is not the selected SMS Text tone that I have for all messages). No matter what I set it to for that alert, it does not work when a SMS is received from that contact.

Here are some other workarounds I tried with no success:

• Edit contact profile instead of creating "set contact alert" - same results. Uses default sound for all SMS Text
    • Silence all SMS Text alerts and set contact alert for specific sound - no success
    • battery pull - no success

As mentioned this happens with all versions of OS5 that I tried. Something tells me that this function is not applying to SMS Text. It might not consider them text. Any help or testing results would be appreciated. This is frustrating because this worked flawlessly in all previous versions.
    03-31-10 10:24 AM
    Agreed. I'm having the same problem -- I have different SMS alerts for different people...

Anyone have any ideas?

Craig
    03-31-10 11:08 AM
    03-31-10 11:18 AM
    Unfortunately removing the hyphens did not work for me...
    03-31-10 12:03 PM
    Ah ha...It works!...if you remove the hyphens and then edit the contact's individual profile. It does not appear to work if you do it by using "set contact alert" which is the way it used to work. Either way, it works now! Thanks
    03-31-10 12:17 PM
    didn't work for me either.
    03-31-10 01:47 PM
    Removing the hyphens didn't work for me either. Are there any other suggestions?
    03-31-10 02:16 PM
    Removing the hyphens didn't work for me either. Are there any other suggestions?
    I tried just about everything I could think of short of wiping and reflashing my phone. For me, the only way I got it to work was to delete the effected contacts on both my computer and my phone, battery pull, then create the contacts again on my phone by hand-entering their information into the Contacts list without spaces or punctuation in the phone number field.
    03-31-10 07:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD