I read here that the Tour 2 will have a trackpad and wifi. Well, does this not make the unit identical (feature wise) to the Bold 9700?

So my question is, why would Blackberry even do this? Just point the buyers wanting these feature set over to the 9700.

Just my observation. Can someone with more knowledge of the differences between the two units chime in?

Curious!
    12-26-09 11:43 PM
    The bold has a faster processor 628mhz vs 524 i beleive. Not a major difference unless you are running a ton of apps. Other than that, very similar. Bold 2 has a different batt door (nicer in my opinion). Tour 2 will have 2gb of on board device memory (Bold has none). Both have wifi and a trackpad. both have 3.2 mp cameras.

Check out the essex forum in the upcoming devices section. Lots of info in there.
    12-27-09 12:18 AM
    The latest reviews from bgr state that it seems like the processor on the tour 2 has been updated.
    If that is the case and it has 2gb of internal memory then it will be better than the 9700

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-27-09 12:23 AM
    The 2gb of internal memory doesn't mean a whole lot when you have a memory card in there. And the thing about the Tour2 I don't like is it still has the plastic strip below the screen and above the keys. 9700 looks so much cleaner without that.
    12-27-09 12:40 AM
    I guess to each his own. I like everything about the tour except the trackball. Lol

12-27-09 12:43 AM
    The onboard memory may make a large difference if a suspicion I have is played out.

The Bold 9700 is also slightly smaller than the Tour, so there is also that to consider.

12-27-09 12:46 AM
    CDMA vs GSM
    12-27-09 01:37 AM
    CDMA vs GSM
    Exactly. While both will be quite similar in performance (both are great phones) the main difference will be the carrier. If you're with vzw and want the Bold, you will need to change carrier.
    I believe both will be very close in performance except battery life is better on the Bold and the Bold can also do voice and data simultaneously (no big deal for some) . The main reason why i would take the Bold 9700 over the Essex is because the Bold is on Bell Mobility's hspa network. Other than that, i like the size of the Tour/Essex much better.

12-27-09 06:55 AM
    I read here that the Tour 2 will have a trackpad and wifi. Well, does this not make the unit identical (feature wise) to the Bold 9700?

So my question is, why would Blackberry even do this? Just point the buyers wanting these feature set over to the 9700.

Just my observation. Can someone with more knowledge of the differences between the two units chime in?

Curious!
    the main difference is the fact that Tour is a CDMA device whereas 9700 is a GSM device.
    12-27-09 10:21 AM
    To answer your question, the CDMA vs GSM difference is exactly why RIM would do it. The Storm/Tour generation was the first high end BB device for CDMA. Before that it was Curve's and Pearl's galore. GSM had the Bold for about a year before the Storm even came out. I imagine RIM has been getting some pressure to offer similar devices for its CDMA providers...
    12-27-09 10:55 AM
    the main difference is the fact that Tour is a CDMA device whereas 9700 is a GSM device.
    Id like to make a correction. Telus which is CDMA carries both the Tour and Bold 9700
    12-27-09 02:49 PM
    Id like to make a correction. Telus which is CDMA carries both the Tour and Bold 9700
    Yes, but Telus runs CDMA and HSPA networks, that's why they have both.
    12-27-09 03:01 PM
    Yep..... And I would go for hspa.

12-27-09 03:04 PM
    OH! I get ya!!

My work phone is the Tour, I have the 9700 for personal.

Oh how I wish I can swap the two... but I am running into a brick wall with the corporate account. Cant just swap the units, need corporate to send and email to Telus... yada yada yada. Something about work does not support and has not yet tested the 9700.

Thats too bad since I use the work one so much more.
    12-27-09 05:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD