I need to find a way to get rid of the envelope notification icon from the unified message inbox, since I don't use it. Here's "my" setup that I'd like to keep instead of RIM's:

- Separate inboxes (configured in options) for Email and SMS/MMS (no problem with notification here...happens perfectly in either inbox.

- Call Logging: no problem here...get a call and miss it...see the icon and go to call logging to open it, which clears the icon.

- Here's the PITA I'd like to eliminate: each time I get a phone call or email I get the expected "Missed Call" icon or email notification icon where they're supposed to be. But I also get ANOTHER envelope notification icon on the status bar for the unified inbox named "Messages" (even though it's hidden) and NOT configured. So I have to unhide it...open it...delete or open the missed call to clear the duplicate notification icon. One "Missed Call" notification is enough, but I don't see any other way to stop this. The configuration is definitely setup for splitting the two inboxes so the unified inbox shouldn't be seeing anything. Any hints?

It can't be that hard to stop this...it didn't happen on my Curve or any other BB I've ever had. What's so different about the Tour?
    Last edited by LarryMcJ; 11-26-09 at 01:37 PM.
    11-26-09 12:24 PM
    Have you turned off Call Logging? Phone / Options / Call Logging / None

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-09 01:24 PM
    Have you turned off Call Logging? Phone / Options / Call Logging / None

But I *want* Call Logging...and I'm fine with the Call Logging notification icont I get when I receive a call that I miss. What I don't want is ANOTHER envelope icon notification about that same call in the "Messages" inbox. That shouldn't be happening.
    11-26-09 01:30 PM
    Actually, I need to modify the original post since I don't want ANYTHING to show up in my unified messages inbox. That's why I have them separated into one for my email and one for SMS/MMS. This is what's driving me insane...every email and every missed call both show up "ALSO" in my Messages inbox, but it's supposed to be off.
    11-26-09 01:33 PM
    The Messages inbox aggregates ALL messages by design. You can't turn off that behavior. But it should not be causing a problem. If you delete the Missed Call message from the SMS folder, it should also delete from the Messages folder. Is that not happening?

11-26-09 01:51 PM
    The Messages inbox aggregates ALL messages by design. You can't turn off that behavior. But it should not be causing a problem. If you delete the Missed Call message from the SMS folder, it should also delete from the Messages folder. Is that not happening?

That's the problem...it's supposed to be doing like you say (or has for most of the 11 years I've been using a BB)...but this Tour is acting strange. Here's what happens...I get a phone call...don't take it...get the normal missed call icon in the status bar. I also get an envelope icon notification icon in the status bar for the same missed call that's in my Messages inbox.

OK, I click on the SEND button to display the logged calls and exit out...and like usual, the Missed Call icon goes away just by virtue of me having been in the logged calls...the BB knows I've seen it. But the notification envelope icon for the same call in the Messages inbox remains.

I think it's time for maybe a WIPE and start over again...I do that every so often anyway. I'll try a few more things first.
    11-26-09 02:13 PM
    That's the problem...it's supposed to be doing like you say (or has for most of the 11 years I've been using a BB)...but this Tour is acting strange. Here's what happens...I get a phone call...don't take it...get the normal missed call icon in the status bar. I also get an envelope icon notification icon in the status bar for the same missed call that's in my Messages inbox.

OK, I click on the SEND button to display the logged calls and exit out...and like usual, the Missed Call icon goes away just by virtue of me having been in the logged calls...the BB knows I've seen it. But the notification envelope icon for the same call in the Messages inbox remains.

I think it's time for maybe a WIPE and start over again...I do that every so often anyway. I'll try a few more things first.
    Fixed! I knew what I was seeing was not normal behavior. I tried rebooting and resending the Service Books and that did it. Now when any action is taken on a missed call or an email in SMS it's duplicated in the Messages inbox.
    11-26-09 02:38 PM
    But I *want* Call Logging...and I'm fine with the Call Logging notification icont I get when I receive a call that I miss. What I don't want is ANOTHER envelope icon notification about that same call in the "Messages" inbox. That shouldn't be happening.
    if you bothered to try this, call logging only dictates which call log types (missed calls, all calls, no calls) that get listed in the messages list (the very list that makes the extra envelope icon when you get a missed call)
    11-26-09 03:55 PM
    Fixed! I knew what I was seeing was not normal behavior. I tried rebooting and resending the Service Books and that did it. Now when any action is taken on a missed call or an email in SMS it's duplicated in the Messages inbox.
    What are the Service Books and how do you resend them?
    11-26-09 05:01 PM
    What are the Service Books and how do you resend them?
    Service Books are pushed by your carrier and control / enable various functions on your phone. Resending them is occasionally necessary.

How to Resend Service Books

11-26-09 05:11 PM
    if you bothered to try this, call logging only dictates which call log types (missed calls, all calls, no calls) that get listed in the messages list (the very list that makes the extra envelope icon when you get a missed call)
    Thanks, turntable...but I didn't have to try it because I knew "Call Logging" was already configured to "None". As I mentioned just after the post you commented on...I resent the Service Books and rebooted and everything is fine now. Thanks.
    11-26-09 08:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD