I have took the time to read all these 5.0 Tour leaks and I am not sure if I am too lazy or scared to download this on my Tour. I was going to go head first into it until I reading about these hybrids and d/l an OS over another one...is anyone else too scared or too lazy to download the leak or are you guys waiting for the official release?
    11-30-09 08:36 PM
    There is nothing to be scared about. The WORST that happens is you brick your phone and it's an easy fix. It's actually really hard to phuck up a BB to the point of no return.

I HIGHLY recommend installing 5.0.0.230 and then upgrading to irtehun's 5.0.0.238 hybrid. All the info on how to do is here on crackberry and it's really simple to do.

Here's the .230 thread. http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/lea...3/index37.html

And here is the hybrid thread. http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/tour-hybrid-273397/

Both have simple step by step instructions in the first post. You will have to go to the last page of the .230 thread to find the latest download of .230. Other than that....WELCOME TO 5.0 lol
    11-30-09 08:43 PM
    Biggest thing to worry about is remembering to back-up your phone before you start anything. Back it up in DM (desktop manager) and you'll be all good.
    11-30-09 08:44 PM
    I'm neither lazy nor scared, but I won't run hybrids or leaks. My BlackBerry is a business tool and I'm not willing to experiment to that extent with it. If you can afford to inadvertently screw it up, then by all means experiment. There's almost nothing you can do to a BlackBerry that you can't undo and fix. Just be sure you know what you're getting into. Call it "informed consent." And remember, if 5.0 was ready for consumer use, it would be released. The carriers aren't holding it back just to frustrate their customers.
    11-30-09 08:45 PM
    Has nothing to do with laziness. Those who dont upgrade is mostly because they have never done it (hybrids and leaks) so they are not comfortable with the procedure and/or are scared of bricking their phones. Others read about all the little issues with leaked OS's and since theirs is running fine, decide not to go for it. As for myself, im just happy with the way my Tour is performing with the official .57 from my carrier and since threaded sms doesnt excite me, i will wait of an official update. Again, i cant imagine anyone not upgrading because of laziness.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-30-09 08:45 PM
    I ran .230 for about a month and a half before installing the hybrid over top of it. I haven't had a single problem in the 2+ months of running the leaked/hybrid OS.
    11-30-09 08:53 PM
    I was very happy with my phone on 4.7. I was real unsure of trying the leaked 5.0.230 and finally broke and tried it last week. This was the first time I broke from only using released O.S. software.

I was so impressed with the improvements on the phone that I even went as far as this weekend loading the Hybrid on. (7.11).

These 2 combined improved the phone greatly. I found it faster, clearer, much improvement on the battery life and the new SMS is great. I can say for me there were no bugs on the install and all went smooth. Cant say this will be the same for everyone.

It is truely a "Buyer Beware" type of situation. Some people have found the upgrade to be more probmatic and went back to the old software. I myself am pleased and hope the released O.S. will be as good as what I'm running now.

All I can say is.......if you feel the need to try......go ahead. You can always go back to the old if you're not happy.

Good luck on your adventures.
    11-30-09 08:58 PM
    Neither here. My Tour isn't having issues, and I'm more of a "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" kinda girl, and I read about this little thing that doesn't work or that little thing that's messed up on the leaks. I will, however, upgrade to the official 5.0 once released. If my Tour was having issues, I may be more inclined to use a leaked OS.
    11-30-09 09:00 PM
    Neither here. My Tour isn't having issues, and I'm more of a "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" kinda girl, and I read about this little thing that doesn't work or that little thing that's messed up on the leaks. I will, however, upgrade to the official 5.0 once released. If my Tour was having issues, I may be more inclined to use a leaked OS.

There ARE issues with 4.7...you just don't realize it because you haven't used anything better. 4.7 is slow and laggy. If you've never used anything faster then you wouldn't think it was an issue. I hope that makes sense, I wasn't trying to be mean at all, just explaining my thoughts.
    11-30-09 09:31 PM
    I got my 1st berry 2 months ago, and have never installed a new os on a phone before. There's so many threads explaining how to do it it's hard to mess anything up. Just download .230 and install it on your computer, then download the hybrid and install it on the computer. It's really that easy. Shrink-a-os wouldn't work for the life of me, so I just loaded everything through app loader and it worked flawlessly. The 5.0 + hybrid update is amazing.

11-30-09 10:26 PM
    This is definitely something u need to do, I was scared at first too, but WOW! U will discover an entirely new tour if u upgrade the os, it is sooooooo worth it

11-30-09 10:38 PM
    Click the link in my sig for the Tour .230 leak AND the 7.11 hybrid downloads
    11-30-09 10:41 PM
    And remember, if 5.0 was ready for consumer use, it would be released. The carriers aren't holding it back just to frustrate their customers.
    I agree with the fact that they are not holding back just to frustrate customers, but i disagree with your first statement. I would argue that 5.0 IS ready for consumer use in the eyes of some carriers, hence why the S2 and 9700 were released with official 5.0's on it. Furthermore, there are confirmed builds in the wild of the 9630 in the mid .3xx's. My understanding is that VZW has reached a point where they would be willing to release an official 5.0 build for the 9630.

The only reason they aren't releasing it? The pending release of the Essex (Tour 2). Look at the surrounding evidence. The tour is the ONLY device to not leak a stable OS in a long time. The tour is the only device with a pending release of a successor looming over it's head. Keeping in mind the fact that history repeats itself... look at the shaky release of the S1, the fast follow up release of the S2, and the simultaneous release of the S1's 5.0 software to keep the S1 owners appeased. You don't see this as possibly relevant to the Tour's current situation?

IMO, it seems like they are doing exactly this with the tour. The last time we saw RIM so tight lipped with a pending release was the BBM 5.0, so we know it's possible. Could it be that the carriers are actually working in conjunction with RIM on the pending releases? I don't think it's far fetched that they are holding the release of the Tour's 5.0 to match up with the release of the Tour2 to A) hype the release of the new device B)appease Tour owners who are going to be extremely pissed about such a fast subsequent release. Just look at the storm situation for proof that it can happen.

Bottom line is: RIM has developed 5.0 software for the Tour that is ready for release. You can make your own deductions based on the evidence why they aren't releasing it to the public, or leaking it for that matter.
    11-30-09 10:44 PM
    I'll admit it. I'm scared. If there was a very good step-by-step How To on how to instal I'd consider it. But until then, im with .61.
    11-30-09 10:44 PM
    I'll admit it. I'm scared. If there was a very good step-by-step How To on how to instal I'd consider it. But until then, im with .61.
    How to Load a Hybrid - BBHybrids Forums
    Complete with screen shots. Also, plenty other useful threads in their help forums.
    11-30-09 10:47 PM
    How to Load a Hybrid - BBHybrids Forums
    Complete with screen shots. Also, plenty other useful threads in their help forums.
    Wow, Thanks very much! Scratch that last post then. Will give it a shot.
    11-30-09 10:49 PM
    There are good step by step instructions.

Here is the instructions for the hybrid http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/tour-hybrid-273397

Here are the instructions to upgrade a regular OS (non hybrid) http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...ting-system-os
    Last edited by eric02SpecV; 11-30-09 at 11:07 PM.
    11-30-09 11:02 PM
    Just go for gold!!!!! no but on the real tip its very easy and there are alot of people willing to help you walk through it, including myself, i have walked alot of people through it on the forums in the last week.
    11-30-09 11:04 PM
    Think you guys may have just convinced me to give it a shot. I was one in the scared category. How long does it take to install the OS then hybrid and will it screw up my themes and apps?

Wow the hybrid part looks to be a pain what is shrink an OS? another program I need to download? also the program to wipe your bb? sorry for all the questions, just feeling overwhelmed.

nevermind i found the info from links to another site from you guys posts
    Last edited by Vagrant_1; 12-01-09 at 02:13 AM.
    12-01-09 01:28 AM
    I got my 1st berry 2 months ago, and have never installed a new os on a phone before. There's so many threads explaining how to do it it's hard to mess anything up. Just download .230 and install it on your computer, then download the hybrid and install it on the computer. It's really that easy. Shrink-a-os wouldn't work for the life of me, so I just loaded everything through app loader and it worked flawlessly. The 5.0 + hybrid update is amazing.

did you wipe your bb first or did you install over the old OS?
    12-01-09 03:01 AM
    I would have to agree with eric02SpecV. Take the plunge and go for the .230 + hybrid. whats the worst that could happen? you have to reload the stock OS? no biggie. I was in the scared category as well before I did it, but now I am very happy with my decision. I haven't had any type of flaws with the hybrid to date. Switching from 4.7 to .230 with hybrid is like night and day with speed and lag.
    12-01-09 07:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD