I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy my Threaded SMS on my Windows Mobile 6.5 phone......while I wait for my tour.
    Haha...you're funny.
    06-24-09 11:41 AM
    BUMP i'm still curious about the question i asked earlier in the thread? Could anyone with any knowledge of the new BBM comment on this? Please???

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-26-09 11:44 AM
    Inichols, if what you say about BBM in the 5.xx release handling threaded SMS and MMS as well as BBM messaging is true, does this mean that we will not have to use a third-party app such as Beyond 160 to send a message that is more than 160 characters since that feature is already supported by BBM? I realize that SMS uses voice transfer connections where MMS and BBM do not, but perhaps it would work in much the same way as the Beyond 160 app without having to pay for that ability? Just something i was pondering...

Well we may get threaded text messages, but that doesn't mean verizon is going to fix our 160 char limit. I have beyond 160 and it works perfectly for me.
    06-26-09 12:14 PM
    I was wondering the same thing...does threaded sms mean 160+ characters? If threaded texts are merely being able to see the conversation/response, I currently have that on my Storm. If I reply back to a person's text and they reply to the one I just sent, then the whole conversation exists.
    06-26-09 01:04 PM
    +1 with Beyond160. It is well worth the 5 or 7 dollars. It's really straightforward to use and it makes texting what it is supposed to be
    06-26-09 01:05 PM
    You don't have true threaded SMS on your Storm. It shows only a few of the previous texts, and each time you receive a text it comes in as a separate message. True threaded SMS is what the iPhone or the Pre has, where it shows the whole conversation in one text box.

06-26-09 01:09 PM
    Maybe my question wasn't clear enough when i first asked it...Please be nice if i am wrong on any of the following, and please also correct me. Now, from my reading, i'm pretty sure that SMS is a limitation of the CDMA network architecture, not just verizon, and the fact that it won't let you type more than 160 characters is NOT a limit imposed by verizon, but is built into the software because you cannot send more than that in SMS messages anyways. My question was, if BBM can already support extended messages in its SOFTWARE, and according to the rumors about BBM in the 5.XX release handling all SMS and MMS transfers, will the new BBM allow you to type and type and type for SMS messages in much the same way you would a traditional phone, and have it automatically break the message up for you so you do not have to send a new message when you reach 160 character limit, OR have to purchase Beyond 160? This line of thought seems like it would be ideal, and i was curious about if it had it.

06-26-09 02:13 PM
    In 5.0 will threaded messages just be for PINs or will it work for SMS too?

Threaded messaging is the only thing I'm jealous of when my buddy breaks out his iPhone. I'd rather use the LG Dare I currently have than have to deal with the dropped calls.

The 8350 I have was issued to me through work, and it having it for a few months sold me on getting a BB for my personal device!
    06-26-09 02:16 PM
    Maybe my question wasn't clear enough when i first asked it...Please be nice if i am wrong on any of the following, and please also correct me. Now, from my reading, i'm pretty sure that SMS is a limitation of the CDMA network architecture, not just verizon, and the fact that it won't let you type more than 160 characters is NOT a limit imposed by verizon, but is built into the software because you cannot send more than that in SMS messages anyways. My question was, if BBM can already support extended messages in its SOFTWARE, and according to the rumors about BBM in the 5.XX release handling all SMS and MMS transfers, will the new BBM allow you to type and type and type for SMS messages in much the same way you would a traditional phone, and have it automatically break the message up for you so you do not have to send a new message when you reach 160 character limit, OR have to purchase Beyond 160? This line of thought seems like it would be ideal, and i was curious about if it had it.

When OS 5.0 comes out, it will give you the option for your incoming SMS to integrate with BBM. It doesn't have any limitation when referring to BBM. Example: Sinternet Jr: What up bacon jay? Sinternet Jr: How is your day? Bacon Jay: It was good. All in one conversation box. Their will be no need for Beyond 160+

hugecanoli: Your Pin messages will still be in your messages box.
    06-26-09 02:22 PM
    So CDMA technology's160 character limit is moot with 5.0's threaded SMS then anyways? It won't matter? That's frickin' cool...

06-26-09 02:37 PM
    So CDMA technology's160 character limit is moot with 5.0's threaded SMS then anyways? It won't matter? That's frickin' cool!

06-26-09 02:38 PM
    You don't have true threaded SMS on your Storm. It shows only a few of the previous texts, and each time you receive a text it comes in as a separate message. True threaded SMS is what the iPhone or the Pre has, where it shows the whole conversation in one text box.

Thank you for the clarification!
    06-26-09 02:41 PM
    Sorry for the double post guys.

06-26-09 02:42 PM
    I really hope it does allow greater than 160 characters. I understand that it is still speculation, but for me seeing a conversation that happened 3 days ago is pointless...especially if it has to happen in 160 character phrases.
    06-26-09 02:46 PM

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, you're confusing two completely different things. BBM is one app, SMS is another. There is no character limit in BBM. For SMS, the 160 char is a limitation on Verizon blackberries (there are apparently other Verizon devices where you can type more than 160). I don't see this changing with a new device or a new OS version. But maybe, just maybe. we can dream. If not, Beyond160 is a decent app. I had some issues with it during the free eval period and got rid of it, but others (read: Thinkamp) swear by it.
    06-26-09 02:54 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD