Hey guys, first off I DID search for this issue and I found a few threads on this, but no solutions. I am also having the issue where I'm not getting any actual sounds from contacts I have custom tones set, while my phone is IN the holster. I am convinced this is a software issue, and I'm not sure how long I want to wait for Verizon to release new software.

Obviously not everyone is having this issue. Most have said upgrading the OS took care of that issue. My question is, which OS are you now running? That part was left out of the posts I've read. Are you guys now running .53 or the latest 5.0 leak?
    09-26-09 11:57 PM
    I'm not having any issues with the custom ringtone issue. Just got an FRU tour and I updated it to .53 when it arrived. Works fine in the OEM holster and after vibrating plays the correct ringtone.
    09-27-09 12:01 AM
    I'm not having any issues with the custom ringtone issue. Just got an FRU tour and I updated it to .53 when it arrived. Works fine in the OEM holster and after vibrating plays the correct ringtone.
    Thanks for your reply. I assume you updated to the Asian version...since there's no other version in existence? I will try that tomorrow and post results.
    09-27-09 12:58 AM
    Correct, though I do have the Verizon .exe from when it came out downloaded on my Desktop.
    09-27-09 01:07 AM
    Well I updated the OS, unfortunately I'm still having the same issue. Anyone I have a custom SMS tone for, it will not sound in the holster. I made sure I have vibrate set to off in holster, and "sound in holster" is set to Yes. Any other suggestions? Or do I possible have a faulty phone?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-27-09 01:07 PM
    You could have a faulty phone. Your best bet might be to take the phone into the store or call up CS and have them try and figure it out(even though their only suggestion will be to wipe the device) but if that doesn't fix it, then they will most likely send you out a replacement device, which might fix your problem.
    09-27-09 03:47 PM
    I will call CS tomorrow, and if they have to exchange it, then so be it. I appreciate the help though. This is a really good phone otherwise. Except for this little glitch, I feel it has outperformed the Bold I used to have.

09-27-09 03:57 PM
    You know what? I have for some reason always looked to see who the carrier is when these problems arise. For some reason, more people seem to have the track ball issue is with Verizon. **please, I am not saying all**

Anyway, there seems to be a lot of "carrier" issues.

I have sprint and my phone does ring the special ringers, when in holster.

I am running the original operating system.

I wonder if anyone has thought to do a poll/survey to see if there is more specific problems with carriers?
    I am also a very tec challenged newbee, so don't flame to much please
    09-27-09 04:11 PM
    Hey guys, first off I DID search for this issue and I found a few threads on this, but no solutions. I am also having the issue where I'm not getting any actual sounds from contacts I have custom tones set, while my phone is IN the holster. I am convinced this is a software issue, and I'm not sure how long I want to wait for Verizon to release new software.

Obviously not everyone is having this issue. Most have said upgrading the OS took care of that issue. My question is, which OS are you now running? That part was left out of the posts I've read. Are you guys now running .53 or the latest 5.0 leak?
    I know the issue your experiencing with custom contact tones. It works but not CONSISTANTLY. I believe however that its a software issue & should be ironed out with the next OS update.
    09-27-09 04:35 PM
    i was having this problem when i first got my tour. i've been on the phone with cs a couple times and it's been working lately (knock on wood). i can't tell you exactly what we did because we tried a lot of stuff. but cs is your best bet
    09-27-09 04:40 PM
    Keep us updated and let us know what comes of this I'd be curious to know if this is something a new phone would fix or if it is a issue on most devices.
    09-27-09 07:14 PM
    Keep us updated and let us know what comes of this I'd be curious to know if this is something a new phone would fix or if it is a issue on most devices.
    Wil do. I'll be calling CS tomorrow morning. If a new phone is in order, that'll happen tomorrow too, as there are several Verizon stores within a short distance.

09-27-09 08:03 PM
    UPDATE

I just got off the phone with CS. This is what went down. By default, the custom ringtones and sms tones will rely on the active profile for the ring volume and vibrate behavior. They had me edit the default profile (normal) and under SMS Tones, Vibrate was set to "In Holster Only" They had me change this to off, and save it. I then made a contact for myself in the address book and assigned myself a custom SMS tone. I sent myself a text and quickly holstered the phone. It actually made a sound!

Now I was thinking maybe I didn't holster it fast enough. So I went back into my profile settings and changed the vibrate to custom. I set it to vibrate 2 times on medium before making the sound. I sent myself another test and holstered it. This time the phone buzzed twice and THEN made the sound.

I'm not going to declare success just yet. I'll want to do some extensive testing on various contacts (when they get home from work of course) before I can feel comfortable with this. But anyways, this seems to have worked for me...for now. I can't say it'll work for everyone with this issue, but you're definitely encouraged to try.

I'll consider this a "workaround" because I'm still convinced this is a software issue. The Tour has the same internal components as the Storm, it runs a very similar OS. Yet I remember I had the vibrate function set to "In Holster Only" on the Storm, and was not having this issue with custom contact alerts. If there are any further changes, I'll let you guys know.
    09-28-09 11:29 AM
    That's awesome that you were at least able to get a workaround. Hopefully your testing will go well.

09-28-09 11:33 AM
    Well so far, so good. Every contact I assigned a custom sms tone to, that I've gotten a test message from, I've had the assigned tone play in the holster. I'm MOSTLY going to say problem solved, but I still think it's a software glitch. But whatever...it's working for now
    09-28-09 09:35 PM
    Thanks a million
    03-08-10 08:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD