KNOCK IT OFF U 2! Take the argument to PM or better yet just ignore each other.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-09 12:46 AM
    I think it would be best if a mod deleted this thread so people don't have to waste their time reading somebody's flame

seriously all I was trying to do was give my experience with the Tour to somebody trying to figure out if hes going to keep it or not, my experience is they are better now and good phones, I didn't ask to be called out by somebody that doesn't even work for Verizon or even know anybody that works for them, let alone has any proof in what he's talking about.
    Last edited by swervinsuburban; 11-20-09 at 12:51 AM.
    11-20-09 12:48 AM
    KNOCK IT OFF U 2! Take the argument to PM or better yet just ignore each other.

Thank you and good idea, but I'm done discussing this with the other person. in order to end a discussion that is going to become nothing, but a flame war in the end.

As I already stated and will do once more just for the record one can simply go in and ask the employees in a VZW store and see where the misinformation lies here. It should be noted that newly manufactured Tours that have never been used before also come with a green dot upon their packaging. Why would they repair a device's trackball that has never even been previously handled if indeed a green dot represented a defective device having it's trackball being repaired or replaced?

My intention in pointing this out was that other people wouldn't go into a VZW store demanding a green dot device (which ALL of the Tours, new and FRU, have green dots now) and making a fool of themselves. Hopefully they could avoid this unnecessary display because they were wrongly informed on what this colored dot meant.

In any case, I have made my point and people can decide for themselves how they will go about getting their device fixed or replaced. I was only trying to be helpful in giving the correct information.
    11-20-09 02:33 AM
    Well it broke...

The trackball hasn't failed yet though, it was the mute key that no longer works. So now I can no longer put it into standby mode. Great.

11-20-09 01:27 PM
    the trackballs do give problems when using in dirty environments

I wished I KNEW what caused my 2 Tours to fail... It's certainly not a dirty environment. I keep mine in a holster or pouch at all times. I don't expose it to a dirty environment. I'm waiting on the 3rd Tour as I type this.

I can't help but to believe there is a design or QC flaw (at least on the early versions) because both of mine have failed in the EXACT same manner, which is no or limited horizontal scrolling with the trackball. Specifically, to the right. Almost every account of trackball issues have been horizontal scrolling.

No doubt, there is an issue, even the CS guy I talked to on the first failure said there was issues with the trackball on the Tour. He even asked if it was a horizontal scrolling problem before I told him! My call to CS on the my current "refurb" doing the same after about 3-4 weeks resulted in the CS person acting like they didn't know anything about trackball issues. Well, other than asking if I had tried cleaning it with alcohol.

Next time (if) it fails, I'm going to the store to ask for a NEW replacement or trade to something equivalent. Unfortunately, there's not much equivalent right now. I love my Tour, but I have had about enough....
    11-20-09 02:02 PM
    Thank you and good idea, but I'm done discussing this with the other person. in order to end a discussion that is going to become nothing, but a flame war in the end.

As I already stated and will do once more just for the record one can simply go in and ask the employees in a VZW store and see where the misinformation lies here. It should be noted that newly manufactured Tours that have never been used before also come with a green dot upon their packaging. Why would they repair a device's trackball that has never even been previously handled if indeed a green dot represented a defective device having it's trackball being repaired or replaced?

My intention in pointing this out was that other people wouldn't go into a VZW store demanding a green dot device (which ALL of the Tours, new and FRU, have green dots now) and making a fool of themselves. Hopefully they could avoid this unnecessary display because they were wrongly informed on what this colored dot meant.

In any case, I have made my point and people can decide for themselves how they will go about getting their device fixed or replaced. I was only trying to be helpful in giving the correct information.
    i just said the green dot represented new stock after the trackball issue new stock is NEW RIM doesnt put the sticker on Verizon does to keep track of the new product the new product has the trackball defect dealt with new new new not refurbished i dont understand what you're arguing about

11-20-09 02:18 PM
    We get the green "dot" issue... time to move on.

The tour trackball design is more prone to failure, "green dot" or not. Even if they improved it at some point or not, the current gen still has issues.
    11-20-09 02:33 PM
    u need to turn it off and take alcohol wipes and clean it with them every day or 2.
    11-20-09 03:54 PM
    I wished I KNEW what caused my 2 Tours to fail... It's certainly not a dirty environment. I keep mine in a holster or pouch at all times. I don't expose it to a dirty environment. I'm waiting on the 3rd Tour as I type this.

I can't help but to believe there is a design or QC flaw (at least on the early versions) because both of mine have failed in the EXACT same manner, which is no or limited horizontal scrolling with the trackball. Specifically, to the right. Almost every account of trackball issues have been horizontal scrolling.

No doubt, there is an issue, even the CS guy I talked to on the first failure said there was issues with the trackball on the Tour. He even asked if it was a horizontal scrolling problem before I told him! My call to CS on the my current "refurb" doing the same after about 3-4 weeks resulted in the CS person acting like they didn't know anything about trackball issues. Well, other than asking if I had tried cleaning it with alcohol.

Next time (if) it fails, I'm going to the store to ask for a NEW replacement or trade to something equivalent. Unfortunately, there's not much equivalent right now. I love my Tour, but I have had about enough....
    I agree with you that the environment doesn't factor much into it. I too keep mine mostly in the pouch. I never carry it in my pocket and it I handle anything sticky or dirty I don't touch the device until I was my hands. This didn't matter as now my track ball seems to be getting tackier each day. Mine, however, doesn't have an issue on the horizontal scroll, it gets stuck when I try to go up and when I say stuck, it stops all movement. Then when I put pressure on it it will break free to move horizontally until I push the trackball down and move it in circles.

I'm curious as to what is inside this thing. I don't want another replacement phone (no more refurbs for me). I was told some VZW stores have technicians and that's how I'll have take a look at it. I noticed one day after pushing it down and moving it around a small thin skin-like brown substance came out. It ran good for about a week and then began getting tacky again. I'm wondering if the dirt and oil collects underneath building up until it begans to affect the responsiveness of the trackball. I doubt they will ever find a long term solution for this so for me I'll be making regular visits to wherever I find one of their technicians or look for a Sprint tech that wants to make a little extra cash in helping me out when I need it. I'm not about to go back to exchanging one broken refurb for another that's for sure.
    11-20-09 06:34 PM
    Yeah the ball sits on a little metal piece so every time you push it down the metal piece pushes it back up, the more you use the ball and push it down the weaker it gets so the ball starts to sit lower in the housing, with the tour there is no indentation around the ball its totally flat so its a very big problem when it starts sinking it becomes harder and harder to use, this problem wasn't as big on earlier phones because they were recessed and you could easily just pop the ball out and replace them, I had to do this quite a few times on my old phones, now my Tour's trackball is getting harder to use and to fix that I have to take the phone apart again which I don't want to do, obviously the track pad fixes this......hopefully this Tour's trackball will last long enough till the Tour 2, stupid RIM
    11-22-09 04:56 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD