Verizon is not crippling there phones, this is not an issue that software can fix. It is the way the messages are sent. Read the article linked above to see why. Then ask yourself why they charge so much for texts when it basically costs them NOTHING to send them. If you really need to text more characters just use BBM.
    How then, does EMS work? Are EMS messages sent a different way than regular SMS?
    08-04-09 09:17 PM
    How then, does EMS work? Are EMS messages sent a different way than regular SMS?
    Just using the search function will answer your question. This question, the sms limit, and general banter about it is really all over the place. Plenty of threads with the answers and plenty of threads to post these questions in. Another one is not needed. It like me starting another thread about the Tour battery cover.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-09 09:31 PM
    To answer your question... No. EMS does in fact use SMS as the underlying delivery medium. The main difference is that it uses a special User Data Header (UDH) to "tag" each message part as belonging to a group, and each part has a sequence. When the message parts are received by another EMS app that understands the UDH, it can piece them back together in the right order and display them as one big message. It will wait until all parts have been received, so it can display them together as a whole. EMS is sometimes referred to as "concantenated" SMS.
    08-04-09 09:40 PM
    berrygirly,

There's a bug in OS 4.7 for the Tour, just like there is in OS 4.7 for the Storm, which causes the problem you're seeing of the recipient not being transferred properly. Beyond160 has a work-around for this, however, and it appears that it might be turned-off on your Tour. Just go to Beyond160 --> Menu --> Options, and make sure "Use alternate copy method when composing" is checked. That should fix the issue for you. (And leave the similar option for "forwarding" unchecked.)
    hi GeekyDad,

I do have that option checked and everything is copied over only when you have reached your limit first and then click Menu>Go Beyond160. I believe what Berrygirly is talking about is when you decide to Menu>Go Beyond160 before you reach the end of your original message. When you do it then, the recipient doesn't copy over; however, the message does.

Now, that is a bug that needs to be fixed.
    08-04-09 10:27 PM
    Just using the search function will answer your question. This question, the sms limit, and general banter about it is really all over the place. Plenty of threads with the answers and plenty of threads to post these questions in. Another one is not needed. It like me starting another thread about the Tour battery cover.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Or kind of like you wasting a post telling me to search.

I didn't start the this thread, it was going to be on the forum anyway. It was a logical follow-up question and when the next person reads this post (maybe they find it from using the search function), they'll now have the answer.

To answer your question... No. EMS does in fact use SMS as the underlying delivery medium. The main difference is that it uses a special User Data Header (UDH) to "tag" each message part as belonging to a group, and each part has a sequence. When the message parts are received by another EMS app that understands the UDH, it can piece them back together in the right order and display them as one big message. It will wait until all parts have been received, so it can display them together as a whole. EMS is sometimes referred to as "concantenated" SMS.
    Thanks GeekyDad. I don't really understand why EMS would be enabled on "dumb"phones on CDMA carriers but not BBs, but I guess thats another question for another thread.
    Last edited by nyyankeefan1021; 08-04-09 at 10:45 PM.
    08-04-09 10:42 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD