this is quite annoying. is there any way to make the text field bigger (i.e.) make it allow you to type more characters in an SMS.

thanks guys!!
    11-03-09 08:22 PM
    Nope.

There are some third party applications for this, however.
    11-03-09 08:34 PM
    Better be careful asking this question, I did right after the phone came out - surprised that it didnt support multi page messages, and got quite a few surprising messages about it. I use "beyond160" and it usually works just fine. I have on a few occasions seen my phone show that i can send up to 7 pages of texts straight from the sms window, but of course my texting stops working, and then it disappears - so the functionality is definitely built into the phone, just not available right now. Hopefully in a later os release it will be!
    11-03-09 08:38 PM
    Beyond160 is an app that allows this but it isn't free
    11-03-09 08:40 PM
    Yea, SMS is limited by your carrier (e.g. Sprint is 160). I believe those applications allow for you to type more- however your network will only send 160 characters at a time. :/

Stupid, I know.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-03-09 08:44 PM
    I have on a few occasions seen my phone show that i can send up to 7 pages of texts straight from the sms window, but of course my texting stops working, and then it disappears - so the functionality is definitely built into the phone, just not available right now. Hopefully in a later os release it will be!
    I thought I was going crazy when this happened to me!! Glad to know that its there, sometimes.
    11-03-09 09:22 PM
    Better be careful asking this question, I did right after the phone came out - surprised that it didnt support multi page messages, and got quite a few surprising messages about it. I use "beyond160" and it usually works just fine. I have on a few occasions seen my phone show that i can send up to 7 pages of texts straight from the sms window, but of course my texting stops working, and then it disappears - so the functionality is definitely built into the phone, just not available right now. Hopefully in a later os release it will be!
    thank god! i thought i was insane, i was like i swear i seen 1 of 7 i swear i seen it! and then nothing, back to field full! thank god im not alone and others have seen it too! it will deffinately be nice, when we can sms liek normal phones and not start a new text after 160!
    11-04-09 09:04 AM
    This is a CDMA issue. 160 is the limit on all CDMA carriers. GSM does not have this limit. Hope a future software release has this built in and we will not need a 3rd pty app.
    11-04-09 09:08 AM
    It's a CDMA issue with BlackBerry devices.

Extended SMS is supported by GSM carriers on BlackBerry and other devices.
    Extended SMS is supported by CDMA carriers on other devices.
    Extended SMS is not supported by CDMA carriers on BlackBerry devices.
    11-04-09 12:09 PM
    check out beyond 160, it is a paid app, but if you are actually going to use it then it is def worth it.
    11-04-09 12:15 PM
    Or just use MMS instead. SMS was never intended to be long messages.
    11-04-09 12:24 PM
    When OS 5 comes out (or if you already run a leak), the threaded SMS program makes it pretty easy to type a longer SMS. If you reach the 160 char limit, all you have to do is press enter and keep typing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-04-09 12:26 PM
    Textender is another app for this.

BlackBerry App World - Textender
    11-04-09 04:51 PM
    nice thanks for all the info everyone. yeah i cant stand typing a big message to someone then having to go and edit it and cut down letters and make "to" "2" and sound like a ******.
    11-04-09 10:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD