Trying to choose a device for a friend of mine, she owns her own business and needs some way to get internet in her office. I told her about tethering but when she talked to Verizon about it, they claimed they could tell if you tethered your device, using the program, and would charge you the tethering fee for it. Anyone have any clue if they were just BSing or has something changed since I used the app before? Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-10 05:02 PM
    most carriers charge seperately for tethering. also, tethering without a tethering plan is against your terms of service. ive seen people get hit with huge charges, as it uses alot of data. there are a few options.

1.) use the Tether application. its $25-50 and is supposed to hide the fact you are tethering. but again, the developer takes no blame for you actually getting caught.

2.) everyone says tethering comes free with t-mobile unlimited data plans.

3.) pay the $60 a month for tethering with Verizon.

4.) buy an air card for the computer/laptop. it will use the cellular network as an internet connection.

5.) if its for her business, why not just get a regular cable connection to her office?

considering the large amount of data tethering uses, it may not be hard to tell when you have been tethering vs just using the phone browser. i would suggest not taking the risk.
    08-21-10 05:16 PM
    most carriers charge seperately for tethering. also, tethering without a tethering plan is against your terms of service. ive seen people get hit with huge charges, as it uses alot of data. there are a few options.

1.) use the Tether application. its $25-50 and is supposed to hide the fact you are tethering. but again, the developer takes no blame for you actually getting caught.

2.) everyone says tethering comes free with t-mobile unlimited data plans.

3.) pay the $60 a month for tethering with Verizon.

4.) buy an air card for the computer/laptop. it will use the cellular network as an internet connection.

5.) if its for her business, why not just get a regular cable connection to her office?

considering the large amount of data tethering uses, it may not be hard to tell when you have been tethering vs just using the phone browser. i would suggest not taking the risk.
    Many thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately, none of the options you suggested will meet her needs.

1) Doesn't want to violate any terms of agreement.

2) She's a Verizon customer and are happy with the service thus far.

3) Not willing to pay $60.00 a month for the small amount of time she needs to access the internet.

4) She already has an air card but it's used in their home to access the internet. It's the only option available besides dial-up. Yes, they live in the boonies.

5) She's checked on other internet options and all of them want to charge her for a 'business' account. She only needs to access the internet a total of an hour a day while she's in her office and it wouldn't make sense to pay that much for that little usage.

I'm going to suggest she try out the Palm Pre Plus for the 30 days and see if it meets her needs. Verizon is currently offering the free hotspot option with that device.

Thanks again!
    08-21-10 08:32 PM
    if she buys the Tether app, chances are she wont get caught. especially if its only an hour a day.
    08-21-10 10:30 PM
    It's $60/month with VZW now to tether with a smartphone? Thought if you had a BB plan, tethering was $30 with BIS or 15 with BES plan? Or does she not already have a plan that qualifies for those rates?

08-22-10 08:02 AM
    It is $30 with BIS.
    08-22-10 08:13 AM
    She's trying to avoid paying extra if at all possible. All she really wants is to be able to check/reply to e-mails and some basic surfing. She doesn't currently own a smartphone so that would be a 60 dollar jump in her cellphone bill every month. I'll let you guys know how the Palm Pre works out.

08-22-10 07:34 PM
    why can't she just email and do basic internet right off of her smartphone?
    08-22-10 09:12 PM
    I'm going to assume you didn't read the post above you before posting

08-22-10 11:39 PM
    The tether app will not cause any problems. I've used it before in the past. The only case you will run into trouble is if you download large files. Otherwise it just looks like you are browsing the web on your BB.
    08-23-10 12:11 AM
    Wow!

08-23-10 07:44 AM
    Bayalink Liberty might work for her, it's BB App & computer program, that lets you see your BB on your PC, so you can update your calander on the PC and manage your BB email on the PC, AND browse the internet thru IE on the PC using the BB's internet connection. It costs 60 bucks (lifetime) and it comes with a 30 day free trial....

Bayalink Solutions Corp.
    08-23-10 12:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD