I was just informed by Verizon that I would be charged 5 cents per KB for all data (emails, etc) received by my phone (tour 9630) while traveling in Mexico. With the amount of emails received each day, that would cost me a small fortune for the one week that I would be away. Is there any way I could shut down the data portion on my phone and just have voice and texting service while I am away, or do I have to leave my phone home when I am away? God, I hope someone has an answer to this one. Thanks.

Cam
    10-05-09 01:15 PM
    I'm sure that you can switch it off. I believe by going to manage connections then mobile network options, u can turn off your data services which is emails etc and leave just the 3G network(with no blackberry symbol) for calls and texts.
    10-05-09 01:25 PM
    If you go into manage connections, choose mobile network options, and turn data services off.

Alternative is get it unlocked and acquire a local prepaid sim card, and leave the new number on your voicemail greeting.
    10-05-09 01:27 PM
    Just tried it and it works. I noticed an option is to turn off data when roaming. I think that option would be good for me on my trip Thanks so much for your help. You saved me a small fortune.
    10-05-09 01:50 PM
    You could also sign up for Verizon's Global Plan (it works in Europe and I don't know about Mexico). It is prorata so you get it for the time gone and it replaces your normal bis costs.

UNlimited data and calls for $0.99/min in/out. $69/month, again divided by time gone. So I paid 3/4 of that for 3 weeks in Europe and only paid 1/4 of my Bis' $30/month while gone.

I figured I saved over $300 for my data costs while in Italy.
    10-05-09 03:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD